A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,777
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bags of Butterflies  (Read 3448 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 08, 2008 11:24:09 AM »

I found a great tutorial for a reversible tote bag (it's not as big as it sounds, it's about 9x9"). Tutorial can be found here: Bias Tape Tote.
This is the one I made for myself:

You can't see it, but the lining is blue to match the butterflies.  I also added 4 pockets - a purse is not complete without pockets!
I decided I needed more accessories to match my wonderful butterfly purse.  I happened across a tutorial for Key Fobs.  Here's another one for Ribon Key Fobs that I used, but I packed up my craft supplies in anticipation of the big move, so I will have to post pictures of them later.
Here's he one I made to match my tote:

if you look closely, you'll notice my purple carabiner in the shape of a butterfly.  Also note the skull key chains.  The backside/inside is the same blue as the lining of the tote.
Still feeling like I needed more accessories, I found a tutorial for a tissue cozy (travel tissue holder).  Tutorial can be found here.

I altered the pattern.  I lined mine (yes, in that same blue) and didn't add the ribbon accents.
I also made myself a matching wallet!  I started with Babyangel's tutorial and modified it to have a paper money space and a zippered coin pouch on the back.  I think I also added a few extra card slots on the inside. 

After making all these accessories, I found that my new super-cute butterfly purse was too small to hold all my belongings!  After I stopped crying, I decided to make myself a new purse.  I had happened to pick up a pattern for a messenger bag (I think they actually call it a fisherman bag) for 99 at Hancock Fabrics.  The pattern is Butterick 4147 view F.  I made no alterations to the pattern, though I was tempted to add many more pockets (ha ha!).
Front of bag, with flap closed:

Notice the same blue fabric used as an accent!  This was the best remnant ever!
Outside of bag with flap opened:

the pockets are lined with more of the blue fabric.  This was my first time using magnetic snaps (or any snaps for that matter) and I found them to be easy to install but super strong!  They are difficult to open.  The pockets look floppy, but they do their job well.
When you open the bag?  YARR!

I love the lining.  It's hard to see, but there are 2 inside pockets.  I also love that this bag zips closed; something that was lacking on the tote bag.
I tried to take pictures of the entire bag including the strap, but my camera refused to focus on it.  It hangs to about my hip.  So far I am in love with this bag.  Everything fits with room to spare.  It's not big enough to fit my brand spanking new laptop (bag measures about 9x13"), so that may have to be my next project.

They call me a redneck, and I reckon that I am

"the chief enemy of creativity is good sense"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008 11:40:48 AM »

I must have that bag!!!!  Thanks for sharing the pattern, I'm so going to find that and make it.  I hope mine turns out as great as yours did!!!

"You are ALWAYS smiling"
"That's because I'm happy"

I'm Wistful
I'm pinteresting!

What good is warmth without cold to give it sweetness?
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008 12:43:05 PM »

wow, you have a serious case of the awesomes.  Cheesy

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008 01:24:36 PM »

that, fabric, is, awesome! the first purse does seem really big, i guess eyes can fool. where did you find the fabric tho?
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008 01:28:42 PM »

You did a great job with everything you made! Way to go! I find it incredibly amusing that you had to make a new purse though. You've got mad skills!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008 04:54:37 PM »

Thanks guys, I'm really glad you like them!!  Cheesy

wow, you have a serious case of the awesomes.  Cheesy
Best comment today!  Grin

Cardine: I got the fabric at Joann's.  You could probably enlarge the tote pattern when you print it to make it larger.  In fact, my MIL asked if I could do that to make her a beach/pool bag - I just haven't gotten around to it yet Wink

Kyrie: Thanks so much!  I don't know about the mad skills though, I've only been sewing for a few months now.  I think the pictures just hide imperfections Wink  especially on the wallet.  My machine was unhappy to be sewing through so many layers!  I did get a little use out of the tote before I was forced to make a new bag.  Cheesy

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008 07:07:40 PM »

I love everything especially the last purse. I think I may make something like it.
Great job.

Sew like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008 07:32:55 AM »

Wonderful bags and accessories!  I agree with the "awesomes" comment and it made me smile  Cheesy!  I actually was happy to discover that, after a search, that I have the Butterick pattern, but your bag looks way better than the one pictured!  Makes me want to give it a try, and also I'm inspired to do a bag with matching accessories...right after I finish about 3 projects first!!  Grin

I miss my doggy~Apollo~He'll forever be in my heart

my etsy shop ~ www.lillaka.etsy.com
I'm willing to do a personal swap! :-)

"Paint it black with a splash of HOT pink!"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008 05:09:26 PM »

Those are so great! You did a wonderful job. I love your choice of fabrics too!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008 05:33:32 PM »

Aww, I feel all warm and fuzzy inside!  Cheesy
I <3 craftster!

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Trick to Getting Rocker-Chic Waves
How to Create Slicked Back Red Carpet Hair
How to Make Dry Shampoo for Light Hair
Slick Back Wet Hair Tutorial
This Banana-Coconut Smoothie Doubles as a Healthy Hair Mask
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...