A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,720
Currently Running With Scissors:
528 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Concrete to brick front steps  (Read 98966 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2008  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sugarbeth
no such thing as too many projects!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2008 11:48:57 PM »

This looks really awesome. What a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beth
crafty momma to Lilu and Toby
Martin Handmade Tile
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2008 01:18:15 AM »

This came out awesome.  Fantastic.  I've been wanting to do this for years but priorities and a hubby have put it into limbo for now.
I love the pattern you chose!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PKBanana
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2008 04:08:56 AM »

That is such a cool idea!
Really inspiring!
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
odd_artist
WEIRD IS GOOD!

Twister of Minds

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2008 05:07:32 AM »

Thank you all for looking and commenting! Feel free to be inspired!!!

To answer a few questions:
* I had planned on doing this for a few months, so I kept an eye open for the right 'oops-color' every time I went into a paint or hardware store It only cost $5 for a gallon of exterior latex. I thought about spending $20+ for concrete stain, but having spilled paint on concrete in the past, and knowing how impossible it is to remove, (as well as knowing how often I like to change things up) I went with cheap.
* It took about 2 hours to rid the concrete of carpet, glue remnants, and dirt, and by then, the sun had beat down and dried it fairly well. Then it took another 5 hours to cut the tape and figure placement (I had sketched out the basics with chalk before I taped). The herringbone pattern on the landing was actually simple - I just laid the tape out checkerboard style at a diagonal, then cut out the pieces I didn't want. Sure made a diff!
*By the time I got around to painting, the sun was dead overhead, so the paint dried faster than I wanted it to, causing some of the paint to peel up with the tape - If you ever use tape to mask off a painted area, ALWAYS remove the tape while the paint is still wet! I went ahead and let the paint (damage and all) dry until the next day, then I went back with a brush and touched it up. I blocked it off for 3 days to make sure it had plenty of cure time.
* Because I did not prime the concrete, the 'grout' lines are rough enough that we had no problem with the surface being slippery when wet. And during the winter, I didn't take any particular care when shoveling the snow off. There are areas I need to touch up due to salt damage, but with a gallon of paint available, I could repaint the entire thing every year for the next 7-8 years if I needed to. But I don't. It will take all of 5 minutes to touch up the few spots that need it, and very little paint.
* Some of the worn spots actually look more like real brick because of the wear! Real brick does not have perfectly straight edges or corners. Another reason to slice a roll of cheap blue tape in half, as opposed to spending money on grout tape.
* Something I mention repeatedly on a home improvement site I go to often is - IT'S ONLY PAINT, SO HAVE FUN WITH IT!
* Regarding having me paint YOUR steps - if you lived nearby, I'd love to! I would love to get a side-biz going doing faux work, it's a matter of building a portfolio and a client base.

Thanks again for all the wonderful comments! I have not had the time to pull my art supplies out for the past couple of years, so I've been pouring all my creativity into my home. I have a few more projects I'll be posting later...

And thank you, dear Daughter, for introducing me to this site. You are truly evil!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop!
ashdesu
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2008 06:05:30 AM »

Wonderful job!  It looks great!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rowanvamp0
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2008 10:19:27 AM »

I was amazed I've seen and read about projects like this but thought no average person or crafter could pull this off and to my amazment YOU DID!  WOW!  I'm so inspired now!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SugarySweet
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2008 11:42:23 AM »

Wow, that looks amazing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Len
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2008 12:41:57 PM »

awesome!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goofball
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2008 02:16:33 PM »

WOW is right!!  It really does look like laid brick, great job!!

I want to know...how the heck did you cut a roll of painter's tape in half??  That's the part I can't fathom.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
odd_artist
WEIRD IS GOOD!

Twister of Minds

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2008 04:49:11 AM »

Very carefully with a razor blade...
I just cut through a few layers at a time, using just one side of the roll at a time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Karlie Kloss Contour Makeup Tutorial
Warning: Why You Should Always Protect Your Hands From the Sun
NYX Two Timer Eyeliner - Two In One Eyeliner!
3 Must-Haves To Enhance Your Natural Beauty
Top 5 Ugly Facts About Beauty
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...