A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,368
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craft My Religion (signups closed; sendouts 8/18)  (Read 9338 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2008 01:34:48 PM »

But isn't Jehovah's Witness a sect of christianity? Excuse my ignorance  Smiley.... so crosses and other christian symbolism wouldn't be acceptable?  Huh
Depends on who you ask. I don't consider it to be, but I'm a baptist-ish type Christian (who personally hates the baptist church. lol), but I don't consider catholics to be "Christian" either. Though personally I have jsut decided label make things more complicated. And that's why it's important to discuss those sorts of things specifically with your partner. Their belief system is what will "define" their label but they may not like their label.
I personally feel that all types of religion are too caught up with labels and putting God into boxes he doesn't fit in. Some things are just not important.
Like I said make sure to talk to your partner when you are paired up! I think it will make for some fascinating discussion and new friends! As well as some awesome crafts!

I'm not terribly religious but this is an interesting swap idea.

Just out of curiosity, is anyone else out there Baha'i?
Not me. But I'd love to learn about it!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008 01:35:38 PM by Eliea » THIS ROCKS   Logged
instantkarma
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008 03:33:00 PM »

I had someone who signed up who is Baha'i. It's a beautiful way of life, really, although it's not one I personally agree with. Smiley

Jehovah's Witnesses - from what I understand from this book I'm reading, it does depend on who you ask since they don't believe in the Trinity, which is a requirement of sorts to be labeled "Christian". They believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that Jesus was God's first creation, not that they are three-in-one. So, again, depends on who you ask.

I've noticed that there's a lot of interest but few people who are signing up - I will extend signups if people need it! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

On a swapping hiatus due to college...

http://www.wists.com/cherryxantacids
thelotetree

Domestic Revolutionary

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2008 03:45:30 PM »

Katriana--- I'm Baha'i! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handmade with love, botanical bath and body www.thelotetree.etsy.com or www.thelotetree.com
phnxreign99
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2008 04:08:14 PM »

I hope this swap goes really well - and maybe can happen again in the future!  I'm too new to Craftster to participate yet, but the study of religion is my THING (I'm about to start a Religious Studies program soon!)  Have fun with this one - with some research you can find symbols and ideas for all religions.  I can't wait to see what you all come up with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Got this piece of shrinky dink ... had it for 25 years now.  It's moved to five states and one European country ... and I just know, someday ... SOMEDAY ... I WILL use it!
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008 08:20:30 PM »

I had someone who signed up who is Baha'i. It's a beautiful way of life, really, although it's not one I personally agree with. Smiley

Jehovah's Witnesses - from what I understand from this book I'm reading, it does depend on who you ask since they don't believe in the Trinity, which is a requirement of sorts to be labeled "Christian". They believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that Jesus was God's first creation, not that they are three-in-one. So, again, depends on who you ask.

I've noticed that there's a lot of interest but few people who are signing up - I will extend signups if people need it! Smiley
I just can't sign up this week. If sign ups were extended I could probably sign up. I only have 2 projects left and they have to be done by thursday. I really want to sign up but I have to finish those two things first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2008 10:14:43 AM »

I've been thinking about this swap, and I might very well sign up if the sign-up and send-out deadlines were extended.  (Participants may have to research a religion that's new to them, after all, and that takes time.)

Eliea, I'm just curious as to why you don't consider Catholics to be Christian?  They believe in the Trinity and all that...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2008 02:01:02 PM »

I've been thinking about this swap, and I might very well sign up if the sign-up and send-out deadlines were extended.  (Participants may have to research a religion that's new to them, after all, and that takes time.)

Eliea, I'm just curious as to why you don't consider Catholics to be Christian?  They believe in the Trinity and all that...

A Good question. I won't lump all catholics into one category but many catholics I've spoken to do not believe in Salvation at all. It's by being good and doing works that they achieve their place in heaven. And confessing if they sin to get back on the right track.
Not by believing in God's son to save them and take their place. Now there are some who do believe in Salvation the way I do, but it's not many that I've met personally, and they don't talk about it much sadly so it's very hard to learn for sure.

For me a Christian is someone who has accepted Christ as their Savior and the only way into heaven. Works do not save us. There is a verse about it that basically states that works and being righteous are not what gets us into heaven but His mercy is what saves us. I paraphrased but that's what it breaks down to.

But that's just from the ones I've spoken to. I do not claim to know everything about the faith and would love to learn more about it and any other faith out in our world right now! Smiley  I hope I'm on topic and not being preachy about it. I don't like being that way. I prefer facts about what I believe and why I believe it. And I appreciate any feedback on if I've accomplished that. Smiley
Did I answer your question?

Any word on if sign ups are going to be extended? If not and anyone wants to jsut talk about their faith I'd love to make some new friends and learn something new about you! I"m very friendly and chatty. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
instantkarma
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2008 03:49:38 PM »

*waves arms* Um! Um! UM!

I will extend signups - how long do you guys want? ^^ Sendouts can be longer too. Just give me the word - I'm somewhat of a newbie organizer still and I'm quite easy to bend to other peoples' wishes. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

On a swapping hiatus due to college...

http://www.wists.com/cherryxantacids
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2008 06:46:49 PM »

*waves arms* Um! Um! UM!

I will extend signups - how long do you guys want? ^^ Sendouts can be longer too. Just give me the word - I'm somewhat of a newbie organizer still and I'm quite easy to bend to other peoples' wishes. Cheesy
Another week would be perfect for signups for me. I can sign up very soon! I have one of my 2 projects nearly done. The light is coming from the end of the tunnel!
The other is a pillow cover for my mom so it shouldn't take too long. I have the fabric, pattern and everything. Just have to re-stuff the pillow and such.
Send-outs would probably have to be extended to fit whatever the new sign-up deadline would be.
But anything beyond tomorrow I can probably squeeze in. I just need a day or two more at most!
How about everyone else?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thelotetree

Domestic Revolutionary

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2008 06:54:44 AM »

I think this one is worth waiting for  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handmade with love, botanical bath and body www.thelotetree.etsy.com or www.thelotetree.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon SD770 IS: Set Delete Function
Canon SD770 IS: Set Auto Mode Function
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Sunset Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Sports Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Product Photography
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce
Mountain Views
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...