A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,557
Currently Running With Scissors:
716 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Publishing?  (Read 759 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: July 07, 2008 03:27:41 PM »

I don't know if this really counts as a crafty business venture, but I am really interested in publishing my fiber arts/ crochet/ knitting related book. It would be a non fiction with patterns and instructions on some different techniques. I have no idea where to go from here. I have the book outlined. What are my next steps? Should I complete the book before I start looking for publishers or would they want my proposal then work with me to execute the book? Please help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.com

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008 07:14:30 PM »

Depends on how much money you want to invest in getting it published.

The craft book industry is a small one; just go to your local book store and see the tiny shelf space they're afforded. You would be better off finishing the work and selling it online, either in CD format or PDF. If you have to share the profits with a publisher chances are you're going to see very little in the way of profit. And you're an unknown. Publishers will get behind a Martha or equivalent, no problem. The rest of us have to get into a very long line.

Self-publishing can also be very expensive. Inventory can be an issue, either keeping it or getting rid of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

britsmarie
Broken Airplane

Hear Broken Airplanes Drop?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008 01:30:14 AM »

Actually, in any Books a Million the craft book area is a substantial one. Several shelves over a wall space dedicated.  Or at least it was in our little podunk of Sebring, FL when I lived there.

I believe over 350 different crafting manuals at a time?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008 06:10:26 AM »

In comparison to other sections, it is tiny. This is a small part of the publishing industry. Of course, Sebring is a retirement area (my mom used to live there!) so you'll have more people with time on their hands. Craft books would do better there than in other areas.

I'm not saying don't publish - if you're passionate about it and want to give it a shot, by all means do it. Just don't go in with your eyes closed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

britsmarie
Broken Airplane

Hear Broken Airplanes Drop?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008 10:14:56 AM »

Retirement area. . . that hurts. lol Even the old people are trying to get out, though. Its a dying town.

No jobs, crappy people, businesses shutting down.

But no, the craft section took up a great deal of space, I thought.  They even have a Michaels in Sebring, you know! <3

(The elderly are nevereverever in books a million. I was there for pretty much hours (about 13 hours out of the day), gift wrapping outside, and reading inside for quite a few weeks. I never saw anyone but families and teenagers. And there are alot of kids who are looking for more than four wheelers and school lemme tell you!)

WARNING. Sad Reply got way too long and is mostly irrelavant to the topic at hand.

Mostly, I suggest producing the book as an ebook first to test the waters. Then shop around for a publisher (make sure to be in speakings with more than one to get a good idea of which one can offer what!).  You'd do fine with an ebook for now. You should definitely get started on your own. That way, they can see what YOU can do, and for any next books, they'd come to you for collaboration that you were talking about. Definitely worth it to go ahead and finish the book. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008 06:54:17 AM »

Check out both of my interviews in the main area of Crafty Business Advice.  Both of those ladies have published crafty books.  Maybe some of their answers will be helpful?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Manage Long Hair in the Heat
How to Do a Low Ponytail
How to Wash Long Hair
How to Grow Very Long Hair Faster
Best Long Layered Haircuts for Thin Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...