A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,685
Currently Running With Scissors:
558 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lime Green and Orange Pinwheel Quilt (pics)  (Read 1378 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bookwyrmhole

Crafts can't keep me busy all the time!

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2008 11:57:57 AM »

so...i was in home ec in 8th grade and we had to make a quilt. so i took home the pattern to buy and fabric and noticed that it was only for a crib size quilt, 5 by 4 blocks. i said to myself "what use will a baby quilt be? lets make it BIG!" me being the nerd that i am, i promptly began calculations to make mine twin size, 5 by 7 blocks. went and bought some of the COOLEST fabric ever at walmart for $1 a yard, cut my pieces and began sewing. lo and behold, cotton shrinks, like it always does, and i found myself four blocks short. so i say "i bet you have some matching fabric that you can use to fix this mess" and i did. hence the pink blocks on the corners that are different. my pretty fix. then i came to the actual quilting part of the project. i have been ahead of the class the whole time cuz i have a machine at home and i cut my strips at my aunt's house. but no, i can't just machine stitch-in-the-ditch like everyone else was going to do, i have to hand quilt it! i say "it can't be that hard, its like cross-stitching but faster." well, needless to say, i was no longer ahead of the entire class. and they all ended up tying their quilts. my mom had to help. but, i like how it turned out.

enough rambling, on to the pics. no, its not square, craftster resized it. the blocks are square, the quilt is rectangular.

the entire thing. its big. and the colors are blinding. but i don't care.

the back. yet again blinding.

close-up of one of the blocks and the awesome dotty orange fabric and vine-y green fabric. blinding. i know.

my magic corner block "i ran out of fabric" fix. pure chance that i had that pink, considering i really don't wear pink.

my attempt at showing my laborious hand-quilting, which i know isn't very good, but i was 13 and this was in the midst of finals!

so this is what i did for an edging. i just brought the back fabric around to the front, turned the edged under, and did really close machine topstitching. is this legal? i didn't like the way the bindings on other quilts were turning out.

and guess what? its huge, and i still don't use it!

thanks for looking, comments always welcome!
bookwyrmhole
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008 12:02:39 PM by bookwyrmhole » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find that crafts are very good time wasters. If they aren't for you, then you are one of those rare individuals who know what you're doing!
Elensule
Yeah, I'm THAT girl...

The Zydrate comes in a little glass vial...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008 12:38:39 PM »

Oh. My. Gosh. I love it!!!!

ALL of the things I make for myself are blinding... I think that is amazing! Of course, I haven't gotten the courage up to make a quilt yet, but I LOVE the color choices!! AMAZING. Smiley Very nice work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I maked a wist! wists.com/Elensule

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=292681.0
The Repo! Swap!
bl0bfi5h
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008 01:01:33 PM »

Hehe, actually those are my 3 favorite colours^^
Why don't u use it? Looks so nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookwyrmhole

Crafts can't keep me busy all the time!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008 01:16:19 PM »

Why don't u use it? Looks so nice!

thats why i dont use it. it wouldn't look nice for long. i should hang it on my ceiling though. if that's possible. i've run out of walls. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find that crafts are very good time wasters. If they aren't for you, then you are one of those rare individuals who know what you're doing!
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008 02:43:52 PM »

I love those colors!  I even have the orange fabric.  USE IT and it will only look better, in my not so humble opinion.  A used quilt always looks best.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008 02:44:19 PM by Homerof2 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mrsblocko

It's not only sticious, it's SUPER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008 06:50:01 AM »

well I think its wonderful.  Esp the orange fabric!  (Maybe im biased  cause it's the same fabric in part of the placemats on my table right now!)

congrats on your bright cheery quilt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sulrij
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008 08:13:04 AM »

I love the color pallet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Sassy
msalleycat
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008 08:03:30 PM »

I think that quilt is awesome! Everything I made in Home Ec. was awful (we had to use from what the school gave us, not bring in out own stuff!), but your fabrics are so much fun! I used that same orange dotty fabric for a friend's baby's quilt - I had to go to 3 stinkin' stores to find enough fat quarters b/c she was totally in love w/ the pattern and we picked all the other fabrics around it.  So I understand how sometimes your motivation to do a great job becomes overwhelming!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get an Acid-Washed Manicure
Purse Raid with Ariana Grande
Style Advice from Ariana Grande
Beauty Buys Under $15
Best Cream Blushes For Different Skin Tones
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...