A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
490 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Capri Sun/Kool Aid Jammer Bags (now with mini-tute!)  (Read 32354 times)
Tags for this thread: capri_sun , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bookwyrmhole

Crafts can't keep me busy all the time!

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2008 11:10:15 AM »

so i went to a sewing camp five years ago (i think) and another girl taught me (briefly) how to make these bags. so i went home and began eagerly saving pouches (no help from my brother, who for once in his life threw his trash away!) to make a bag. after a few months, 35 pouches, much wasted thread and a couple broken needles, i finally had my bag!

then i heard about a contest at my dad's take your kid to work day where you had to make something useful out of recycled materials. i was like "cool, im done already" until i saw that there were size restrictions, at which point i said "aw, crap, now i have to make another one." but all was well, i don't think i broke any needles on this one. 23 pouches this time, and kool aid jammer ones. well, i ended up winning the contest! granted, i was the only entrant in my age category, but i don't particulary care.

well, the judge put a nifty little note in above bag, asking would i please make her one. some communication, she wanted pink, which frankly doesn't exist, so red it is. i finished it and then... she dropped off the face of the earth. so i still have it. this was also the point at which i realized "hmm, i bet i can cut those wrappers and not have wide annoying handles, but instead have cool skinny ones." so i did. and i like it.

and my i just mention that these are freakishly strong? seriously. i use mine when i go to the library, which means, if you know me, that they have to be strong. i rather like books, but have an aversion to the skinny kind. if anything does break its just the thread so i sew it again and all is well.

and no, they don't still have juice in them. i have a magically secret way to wash them that doesn't damage the wrappers which ive never seen before. they do kind of smell like juice though.

i made a monstrously huge one that i donated to a silent auction, but the pics are mia for now.

thanks for looking, comments always welcome.
bookwyrmhole

EDIT: mini washing+sewing tute
i cut holes in the bottom of mine and rinse them out, then leave them standing open in a dishrack to dry. then when i sew them together, no visible hole! ive even been know to just dunk them in a sink full of water. mine don't get wrinkly. some people cut slits in the back, but then you can see them (unless you line the bag, which i don't) and i don't know how well they'd dry.

as for the sewing, i use invisible nylon-ish thread that is for machine quilting. i slightly overlap the pouches for each panel and zigzag stitch them together, making sure to back tack because otherwise they'll come apart. then when i have all the panels i do a straight stitch to put them together with the seam on the outside. (see pic) BEWARE: THIS IS WHERE I HAVE BROKEN NEEDLES. i still have yet to find a perfect order to attatch all the panels together, but just don't try to sew too close to the corners at the bottom, or YOU WILL BREAK A NEEDLE! the bottom (which i forgot to show, sorry) is made out of three pouches that i kind of folded/overlapped so they look kind of like squares. i folded the extra length into the inside but didn't cut it off because it makes the bottom stronger. i just folded pouches to make them narrower on the first two for handeles, but then on the third one i actually cut them in half and then folded to make skinny handles. regular scissors.

hope this helps. id love to see any of your creations, especially if they're really different. not much of a mini-tute, maybe i'll add in process pics eventually.

please don't sell bags made this way (zig-zag stitch and invisible thread) as i have never seen it done this way and i would like to sell them myself. please.

happy crafting Smiley
bookwyrmhole
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008 12:15:30 PM by bookwyrmhole » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find that crafts are very good time wasters. If they aren't for you, then you are one of those rare individuals who know what you're doing!
Miss Blue Kitty
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008 11:22:26 AM »

great job! they look amazing! super cute! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008 11:24:21 AM »

Good work on the bags!  I made and sold a bunch of those a couple of years ago.  They do make pink bags, but they come in the curvy bags, not the straight-sided ones.  My favorites are the Minute Maid Pink Lemonade bags.  They're beautiful!  It's a little trickier sewing the curvy bags together, but it can certainly be done.  You just line up the smallest part of the curves together, making sure they overlap, and the rest extends a little.  They still look great and come in better colors.  Check out some other brands and see what you can find.  I've also combined these juice bags with denim and regular fabric to make stronger bags.  I did kind of a Jordy bag, using the juice pouches as the top half of the bag "fabric" and old jean parts as the bottom.  I lined them with cotton fabric and added pockets inside.  They were really strong!  
Again, great work and shame on that lady for ordering a bag and never paying for it.   Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewMuch4Kids

My Reality Check bounced.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008 11:27:53 AM »

I love your bags. Love the story that goes along with them too.  I have been wanting to make these too for my girls. 

I think I will go out and get some capri suns today!  You have motivated me.

Hey, if you want to give up your secret for cleaing them I won't tell a soul! LOL
 Roll Eyes

Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
mollyxmayhem

when we're down to nothing, God's up to something.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008 11:29:10 AM »

haha yeah, i would love to know the secret too?
:]

lovelovelove those bags, they seem so fun!!!
:]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

1 Corinthians 13:13
Gearwe
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008 11:29:37 AM »

These are some seriously cool recycling...! They look really great.
Do you know of any good tutorials floating round the internet or - dare I ask - would you write one? I might even take up drinking juice (or at least fruit-flavoured liquid) out of plastic bags  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Flip Flop
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008 11:41:32 AM »

I love your bags. Love the story that goes along with them too.  I have been wanting to make these too for my girls. 

I think I will go out and get some capri suns today!  You have motivated me.

Hey, if you want to give up your secret for cleaing them I won't tell a soul! LOL
 Roll Eyes

Great work!

your bags look great! i only ever made smaller ones, but yours look really nice with the layers of juice pouches.

im not sure how she cleaned hers but i used to cut open the bottom and wipe them out with wet paper towels and let them dry. i found that when i put water in them directly, they got kinda wrinkly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookwyrmhole

Crafts can't keep me busy all the time!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008 12:17:11 PM »

Do you know of any good tutorials floating round the internet or - dare I ask - would you write one?

mini tute added. just search google if you need more help. there are loads of tutorials out there.

thanks for all the positive feedback! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find that crafts are very good time wasters. If they aren't for you, then you are one of those rare individuals who know what you're doing!
TracyInNH

Nectar of the gods...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008 12:37:16 PM »

I love these bags!  I've been making them a while too... I alternate between sewing them and just using clear packing tape to tape them together, depending on how much time and patience I have. 

Here's the one I use the most.  It's my library bag too!

I used some reconned denim for the handle and a leg from my jeans for the bottom.  It's stronger than I thought it would be Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.
serendipity_sarah
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008 12:42:12 PM »

Those are really cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Extreme Crochet - Part 5/5
How to Extreme Crochet - Part 4/5
How to Extreme Crochet - Part 3/5
How to Crochet a Butterfly
How to Crochet a Pansy Flower
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...