A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
490 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need to make a decision - New Machine?  (Read 928 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

snoderlye
« on: July 07, 2008 09:39:12 AM »

Hi, I am thinking if taking up sewing.  I told my mother I was thinking of investing in a sewing machine, and she told me I could borrow hers.  She has a Dressmaker 2400.  Has anyone heard of this sewing machine? 

I might have a chance to get a Bernina 230 for a bit over half price, which is still WAY over my budget for a hobby.  I haven't really used a sewing machine in 25 years. 

Should I attempt sewing with the old Dressmaker and hope the Bernina is still around when I decide I still like sewing?  AUGH.  A good deal is hard to pass.

Comments would be appreciated!  Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008 10:22:54 AM by snoderlye » THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Beth
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008 07:05:33 AM »

If the Bernina is in a store, there will be more deals in the future. Wink

I'd get out the old machine & start playing, it'll let you know if you really want to do more with the hobby without investing a ton of money. Go get it cleaned & tuned up of course, but that won't cost anywhere near the price of a new machine, even on sale. Borrowing mom's machine is like getting to drive a car for a couple weeks before buying it- that's always a good deal!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snoderlye
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008 10:21:15 AM »

Thanks Penlowe!

The Bernina isn't really in the store, one of their frequent shoppers is looking for someone to pay off her loan.  The frequent shopper wants a BIGGER model, but doesn't want two loans.  So she is willing to sell her current machine which is only about 6 months old, for what she owes on it.

The old machine is over 25 years old, but it still works.  I played with it some over the weekend.  It keeps pulling up extra thread out of the bobbin.  But maybe if I find someone to adjust it, it would work better.  It seems to be all metal.  It is a portable machine.  But man, it is HEAVY. 

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Beth
paroper
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008 11:29:33 AM »

That Bernina is a very nice machine.  It is made by Bernina (unlike the 100 series machines) and it had the good hook system.  It is 5MM wide (stitch width).  It is a 3/4 machine which means that it is about 3/4 the width of the full size Bernina.  Many quilters LOVE these machines because the size also reduces the weight.  They handle heavy projects (including denim) well and many quilters use them for their class or guild machines.  It has a cast iron frame and most of the parts are metal.  Bernina is known to keep all their parts in stock for any given machine for a period of 20 years past the time they discontinue the machine.  This one has been in the line about 2 years (or slightly more) and will probably stay there for a few years longer.  I believe that unlike the 210, 220 machines this machine may have one-piece (not plastic snap on feet).  Either way, it will accept all non-computerized presser feet that are sold for any of the other current models  (the computerized "eye) feet fit only their 9mm machines).  That makes it nice if, in the next few years you decide that you would like to trade up because any feet you have can be used on all the other current machines, even the top of the line.  Bernina has a terriffic line of presser feet and you can view videos of those at the WWW.berninausa.com website under accessories.  You can also view a sales brochure of this machine at the same site.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snoderlye
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008 08:52:41 AM »

Thanks Paroper.

I still want this machine.  If I had been sewing and knew it is the hobby for me I would buy it in a minute.  But I am unsure if I will be able to dedicate time to this hobby until I try it out.  I just hate to pass on such a deal.  Because if I decide this is the thing for me, I will be paying twice as much for the same machine.

I am hoping if I find a repair place locally I can get Mom's machine adjusted.  Maybe it will be a gem.  It is a pretty old machine and still works, so I hope it just needs some adjustments. 

Has anyone heard of the Dressmaker 2400 ZigZag?  It is a white and green machine.

Thanks so much,
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Beth
paroper
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008 01:44:43 PM »

I paid a little over 2900 plus tax for my Bernina in 1992.  I can still get from 1000-1200 for it.  THey are a good investment.  It is quite possible that you could recoup your money if you later decided to sell this one.

THe Dressmakers?  You often see these so they were probably a major brand from a department store like Penney's who discontinued their machines in the mid-70's or Wards who discontinued their machines in the early 90's (I think...at least they were still selling in 1992).  I think that the Wards' machines only said Montgomery Ward on the front, or at least the ones from the 50's and 60's did...I don't recall the later machines that well..the last ones that I remember were probably made by Necci...but they were usually made on a multi year contract which changed from time to time.  At one time the Kenmores were made by a company now known as Jaquar and now they are made by Janome (since the early 80s/later 70s.  If they were a department store brand, they might have been made by just about anyone as most of these are done by contract.  I'm fairly certain that a Dressmaker would be a fully mechanical machine.  The problem might be if you ever needed a part beyond a belt or something like that.  I just don't know.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008 01:46:07 PM by paroper » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw the Tooth Fairy
How to Draw a German Shepherd
Bay Area Maker Faire 2012 Tour
How to Draw Zapp Braniggan
Selecting Skin Tones in Photoshop CS6
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...