A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 304,846
Currently Running With Scissors:
532 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vintage Army Themed Nursery ***PIC HEAVY***  (Read 13338 times)
Tags for this thread: nursery  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JenSquared
Queen of my Craft Studio

Holy Kismet, Crafters!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 07, 2008 01:34:35 AM »

One of my best friends is in the reserves and her "baby daddy" is a soldier. This was her first baby and she is a single mother. When we found out that the baby was a boy...we decided to go army. Here is the completed room.

This is the entry into this small room. She specifically wanted this banner that shows that you have a family member in the military. I have never quilted before, so it definately could have been better. We used a real army net above the crib, and a mobile I made out of little army men. The bag on the end of the crib is a real army laundry bag. I guess that is what it is called. The crib was borrowed so we could not paint it.

Close up of the mobile

The room is small so we took off the door and added an army mosquito netting as a door cover that can be pulled down for privacy. The toy chest is an old foot locker that has been painted red on the inside to match the shelves. On the foot locker is the baby bag I made out of both parents old uniforms.

The bumper I made has a camo fabric on the outside, a khaki velvet piping and a sage microfiber inside. It is attached with yellow ribbons (a request from the mother).

The crib blanket I made to go with the bedding. It has several fabrics in the patchwork front and a blue chenille back.

This is the guest bed in the room and it has an army blanket for the coverlet and custom pillows. I made them out of random fabrics I had and leftovers from their uniforms. We found this great poster online and it went with the vintage army feel we were going for. The curtains are also out of the mosquito netting.

Changing table that was an old buffet/random table. It was a friend of ours, so we could only take the doors off, but not paint it. We took out all the random spaces and replaced them with stained crates. Long story on why one was painted. They were suppose to get stencils that said "Ammo" and "MRE" but we never made it there.  There is not a lot of storage in this room, so it was great to have those crates. We hung one small one on the wall to hold the cloth diapers I had given her from my previous baby business.  We also added these great Red Rugs that you can't really see to cover the tile floor.

Random details:

black hawk we found at toys r us.

nightlight made out of camo and the uniform buttons.

Close up of the pillows on the bed

close up of the diaper bag.

Thank you for looking. Comments welcome.

Thank you for your nice comments. The concerns you voiced are actually the ones we spoke about ourselves. The netting has been pulled up out of reach but we liked it better for the pictures. No worries there. The mobile is extremely secure. The mother is very paranoid about that, plus we plan on pulling it up the older he gets or using it in another part of the room. He is about two months old now and likes it for the time being. Funny fact about the mobile: I would not let any of the men hanging down point guns down. They either point up or had their guns cut off. I thought it was bad karma.

Thank you again for your concerns. I apologize for alarming any of you.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008 04:42:51 AM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up.
Paul Valery
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008 03:38:32 AM »

Very thoughtfull! But I do have a large concern about that netting being so close to the crib.  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008 05:11:11 AM »

Some really unique ideas here, and I think it is great! I do agree about the netting being to close to the baby though.

My son just left last week for his second 15 month tour in Afghanistan, and his little boy would love this room.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TracyInNH

Nectar of the gods...

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008 06:04:56 AM »

Looove the diaper bag.  Great room lol Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.
mutantstar
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008 07:15:12 AM »

What a great nursery!!  Everything is so coordinated and personal...love all the small touches! Excellent job, your friend must be delighted with your work for her little man! Cheesy

Just about to be a first time mom myself and I'm just curious about the concern from the other posters...is it that the net could fall onto baby (smothering/choking hazard)? or that baby could pull it onto himself (smothering/choking hazard)? or something else?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jdb822
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008 07:27:23 AM »

That's really creative! And what a lovely homage to the Daddy who's in the Army.

My only concern is those army men on the mobile, I imagine you secured them tightly but if one of those should fall they could be a choking hazard. Mobiles in general make me nervous  Undecided I think I'll stick with the one Miranda makes for Brady in SATC.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JenSquared
Queen of my Craft Studio

Holy Kismet, Crafters!

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008 08:21:54 AM »

Thank you for your nice comments. The concerns you voiced are actually the ones we spoke about ourselves. The netting has been pulled up out of reach but we liked it better for the pictures. No worries there. The mobile is extremely secure. The mother is very paranoid about that, plus we plan on pulling it up the older he gets or using it in another part of the room. He is about two months old now and likes it for the time being. Funny fact about the mobile: I would not let any of the men hanging down point guns down. They either point up or had their guns cut off. I thought it was bad karma.

Thank you again for your concerns. I apologize for alarming any of you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up.
Paul Valery
sweetiepickles

mmmm crunchy crispy pickles

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008 09:07:34 AM »

I love how personal it is! You did a REALLY good job on everything.
I was gonna say the mom in me was cringing at the safety hazzards  Roll Eyes -net, mobile, fishing type line,buttons... but now I see those have been mentioned already!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SugarySweet
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008 10:00:53 AM »

Very thoughtfull! But I do have a large concern about that netting being so close to the crib.  Embarrassed

Wink Ditto!! Wink As soon as he can stand, he will grab for the net and the mobile.  Shocked

The room is so amazing.  Everything looks great. I especially love the diaper bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pogo
Ardiente

Ready for something new...

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008 10:54:28 AM »

Nice work! Everything is so sweet and nicely themed. Great job with all of your attention to the various details!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My little site about giving, with a splash of crafting: http://www.fierygivingtree.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Expert Shares The Very Best Earth Friendly Beauty Products
Lavender Coconut Body Scrub
Tati Westbrook: 5 Minute Glam Look
Tati Westbrook: GlamLifeGuru
Katie McBroom: Martinis and Mascara
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...