A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
462 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Time Quilter Needs Advice  (Read 875 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LovieDovieAnn
« on: July 06, 2008 10:29:00 PM »

Okay. So maybe not first time. But first time in over ten years. So it's kinda lost to me. I want to make a quilt for my sister's baby shower next weekend. It's going to be a crib quilt and I opted for large pieces totaling only 16 for the entire front. It's a homemade design done on QuiltAssistant 2.03 and I'm rather proud of it. But I need a little help with ideas here.

The Design:

The Supplies:

Should I just do ditch quilting all over? Or would a little straight quilting through the pieces be too much? The outer fabrics are large print plaids and the design fabrics have very little pattern. What do you guys think?

Also, the proper way to piece this one escapes me. Should I do to sun and rays first, then the hills, then the borders?  Huh

Last question: The batting is rather thin, natural wool. Is doubling up on a baby quilt acceptable or should I just do the one layer to avoid bulk?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008 06:56:47 AM by LovieDovieAnn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Marmish

Quincy the Pug

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008 10:03:49 AM »

I would use the blue as the background for the top half and applique the sun rays and center onto the blue.  If you think the blue will show through, use a piece of batting under the yellow pieces.  It will also give the sun a bit more dimension.  I would use a muslin for the base of the bottom half and do the same with the hills, or overlap them working top to bottom and top stitch or hand applique them to each other.

As for the batting, I use Warm and Natural, which I think is rather thin, and I don't double it.  Never used wool, so I can't compare.

I like your design a lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovieDovieAnn
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008 10:55:18 AM »

So you're saying to appliqué the yellow pieces? I didn't think of that. That would take soooooooooo much less time. And considering my deadline, it's BRILLIANT! And the batting will probably get done even if it doesn't peek through cause it's really too plain otherwise.

Thanks!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008 10:56:51 AM »

Quilting in the ditch is an effective and easy way to  quilt - especially if you are rusty. It will bring out the pieced design elements nicely.  I cannot help you with the applique part, though.  I machine piece everything. . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
Marmish

Quincy the Pug

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008 01:36:23 PM »

So you're saying to appliqué the yellow pieces? I didn't think of that. That would take soooooooooo much less time. And considering my deadline, it's BRILLIANT! And the batting will probably get done even if it doesn't peek through cause it's really too plain otherwise.

Thanks!  Cheesy

Yep, applique the yellow.  You can do it by hand, or turn the edges and topstitch, zigzag or satin stitch.  If you satin stitch use fusing or some kind of stabilizer.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovieDovieAnn
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008 10:52:32 PM »

Crap. I didn't leave room to turn the edges.  Undecided

I think I'll just use a semi-tight zig zag and let it fray if it wants to. The colors and style are okay if they look a little worn, right?  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Marmish

Quincy the Pug

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008 07:42:57 PM »

I think that will work.  It won't really fray much.  Be careful not to make your zig zag too narrow, and if it wants to bunch up or move around, you have a couple of options:  glue it down with a washable glue stick and then stitch it, or if it's bunching, use some kind of stabilizer behind the base fabric - this could be as basic as tissue paper.

Sorry if this is too late.  I was out of town getting sunburned Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovieDovieAnn
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008 08:01:09 PM »

It is, actually. The completed quilt is already posted. I did the zig zag and it's really cute. It also didn't need stabilizing, which is nice since I'd already blown my budget. haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Marmish

Quincy the Pug

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008 01:23:23 PM »

Glad everything went smoothly.  I am like a walking Worst Case Scenario Handbook, always trying to predict what will go wrong.  Finished pic's.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovieDovieAnn
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008 05:48:03 AM »

Yeah...I know the feeling. Nothing ever falls into place nicely. Ever.  Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Head Of CPI Explains Why He Gave Bylines To ABC Producers
Laura Bates on How Sexism Is Still an Everyday Problem
Pulitzer Prizes Awarded To The Guardian, The Washington Post
Why No One Won A Pulitzer For Feature Writing This Year
Actress Kellie Martin on Her New Book
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Bird Feeder
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...