A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 312,969
Currently Running With Scissors:
489 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bachelor Chow  (Read 780 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: July 06, 2008 06:12:41 PM »

Hello all!  My little brother is moving away for college in September and will be living in a dorm sans cafeteria.  Because, at present, all he can make is grilled cheese and an unholy mix of ground beef, canned soup, and instant rice he calls "goulash", I thought I would compile him a nice little cookbook to ensure he doesn't starve or die of scurvy while he fends for himself. 

He'll have access to a kitchen with a proper fridge and stove, so the recipes can involve more than a microwave oven.  He is, however, a complete newbie in the kitchen and doesn't have very adventurous tastes.  Does anyone have ideas for easy and cheap meals and deserts I could use?

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.

I'm a llama! No no.. I'm a chicken!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008 08:19:19 PM »

There was a post here previously about recipes for slacker boys that you mioght find helpful..  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=240801.msg2652936#msg2652936

I'm an Aunt Ralph!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008 10:27:37 PM »

Let's see what I can think of that is always really easy for me to make...

Eggs in a Basket:
Bread, butter, and eggs. Maybe a little salt and pepper. So so good.

Same concept as grilled cheese, but with a tortilla. You can add leftover chicken or beef if it's around.

Any kind of pasta, then just add a jar of Ragu. They have the various tomato ones, and a couple alfredo variations.

Instant rice, which he clearly knows how to make, a bag of frozen stirfry veggies, and then either some soy sauce or the fried rice seasoning packet.Just like the quesadillas, you can add meat if you want.

I think he knows what an omelet is. Or if he's lazy, he can make a "Heather Omelet" which is just scrambled eggs with stuff in them.

That's all I can think of right now that isn't just a frozen, put it in a skillet meal. Hope that helps.

My Wist!

50 in 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008 07:36:39 AM »

my daughter and her boyfriend and friends like pizza grilled cheese which you just spread some pizza sauce pepperoni and a slice of moz. cheese on bread and butter both sides and grill it like a sandwhich. he can also just make main course salads with grilled chicken strips, bacon bits boiled eggs and cheese and lettuce with his favorite dressing. Hope this helps Smiley
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008 10:51:26 AM »

The four ingredient cook book is great!

A craft a day keeps the stabbiness away.
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008 11:31:33 AM »

Here's one of the first things I learned to make when I first started cooking: Skillet Chops with Mushroom Gravy.

French toast is another easy one. Whisk together 2 eggs, probably 1/2 cup or so of milk and a splash of vanilla. Melt butter in pan, dip four slices of bread in egg mixture, cook until brown on both sides. Yum.

Also? Futurama love. Grin

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Our Favorite Curling Irons
How to Do a Ponytail Braid
Great Hairstyle for When Bangs Are Growing Out
Get a 60s Beehive Ponytail
VF NEWS: Carmen Marc Valvo Spring/Summer 2015 - NYFW
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...