A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 299,180
Currently Running With Scissors:
612 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: learning to cook  (Read 698 times)
Tags for this thread: grill , barbeque  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

boomboom
« on: July 06, 2008 03:51:03 PM »

Okay so I'm learning to cook for myself! If you have any good-not too hard recipes PLEASE share!! I'm a little picky when it comes to meat. I eat mostly chicken. Sometimes beef and shrimp... But I'd still LOVE any suggestions. Also, I'd like to try some fish that's not too fishy. Please and THANKS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancedupapillon
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008 05:55:31 PM »

Yay for cooking for yourself!  Okay, two of my favorite meat recipes:

Moroccan grilled chicken: 1 cup PLAIN (not vanilla) yogourt
                                   1 tsp each ground cardamom, cumin, and corriander
                                   sprinkle of cinnamon, salt, and pepper
                                   1/4 cup fresh basil (or a good squirt of the kind you get in a tube)
                                    4-6 chicken thighs (boneless/skinless)
Make sure to oil your grill well before heating it.  Marinate chicken in yogourt mixture for a few hours.  Heat grill, grill chicken about 5 minutes per side, and voil! tasty and juicy chicken.

Shrimp scampi: 1 lb thawed raw shrimp, peeled
                      salt and pepper
                      butter
                      a clove of garlic, minced
                      1/4 cup citrus vodka
                      juice of one lemon
                      2 tsp chopped fresh pasley
                      1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
Pat off shrimp with paper towel so it's dry and season with salt and pepper.  Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add butter.  when the butter is done foaming, raise the heat to high and add shrimp (aranged in one layer) to skillet and cook without moving them for 1 minute.  Add garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute.  Turn over shrimp and cook for another 2 minutes.  Remove shrimp and deglaze skillet with vodka and lemon juice.  Pour over the shrimp and top with zest and parsley.

Enjoy yourself and don't be afraid to experiment, especially with soups!  You can use any veggies under the sun, leave them chunky or pure them, add beans or lentils or meat, play with alphabet pasta or wild rice or barley.  I love making soup, and so will you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
waiting4beckett
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008 11:44:34 AM »

If you're willing to spring for a cookbook, Betty Crocker's Cooking Basics is an excellent primer. I highly recommend the beef stir fry with pea pods.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iamblessed
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008 07:47:25 PM »

Em's AMAZAZING Taco Stuff:

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can chili beans
(you can add however many or kinds of beans you want!!)
1 onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced (OPT)
2-3 C cooked brown rice
2-3 cans diced tomatoes (drain 1 - can use 1 of the ones w/jalapenos or chilis in them...)
2 pkg taco seasoning (more or less to taste)
S+P

Cook onion (and Gr Pepper, if using) through, add all rest of ingredients (use a BIG pot, this makes A LOT), let simmer till flavors are well blended and it isn't too soupy...
Serve w/taco shells, tortillas (white, wheat, corn), on a salad, w/chips, on a tostada atop refried beans, etc. - and all the taco fixins you like!!  There are so so so many uses for this taco stuff....we eat it a bunch of different ways!! Plus, you can tailor it to fit your taste - we sometimes eat it w/a 1/2 lb cooked gr beef or turkey.....Add or eliminate types of beans, add whatever veggies you like, more or less rice, whatever you want. It's super cheap, lasts a long time, freezes really well, and fills you up well!  We eat this constantly!    OH - and there isn't anyone that doesn't like it!!!

We also make smothered chicken that's REALLY easy -

Boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 bag frozen peppers/onions mix, thaw some - prob about 1/4 C per chicken breast
1 sm can mushrooms (we use the cheapest, bits and pieces kind), drained (good for 2-3 chicken breasts made)
Shredded Mozz Cheese (a little pile for each breast)
s+p
garlic powder

Take boneless skinless chicken - thaw it in the fridge or microwave - cook the chicken through, seasoning w/the s+p and garlic powder and sautee the peppers/onions with the mushrooms in some butter (or butter spray) while the chicken is cooking. When the chicken is done, turn down the heat to low, top w/the veggie mixture, then top w/cheese - cover pan w/the lid and let sit until cheese is melted. This is a super easy but AMAZINGLY delishious meal that cooks up in about 15 min!

I have tons of easy recipes like this.....if you want more....HAVE FUN!!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use a Pencil for Drawing
How to Create Caricatures
How to Draw a Lily
How to Create a Realistic Eye Drawing
How to Do the Graffiti Letter K
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...