A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,206
Currently Running With Scissors:
493 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Do you know how to make the flowers on this dress (wedding)?  (Read 768 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mi-mi-mia!

Uh oh! What's that?

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2008 12:50:05 PM »

So I got engaged over the holiday weekend and decided that I'm going to make my own dress. I really like http://www.brides.com/fashion/dresses/gallery/wedding_dresses/runway/designer/angelsanchez/detail/172635?offset=7, but the top is too short to look good on me and I don't like how the bottom back clumps together. I'm going to use a slightly different and more flattering (on me) pattern, but I have some questions about the parts of this one I want to use.

So, my questions are:
(1) Does anyone know how to make those flowers at the bottom? At least I think they're flowers. Regardless of whether they are or not, I want mine to be.
(2) How can I make the see through part (I can never remember names of fabrics I don't generally use!) float away like that? Is it just up because the flowers or shapes are pushing the fabric up? Do you think it's a larger version of the under part (technical word here), a different shape or the exact same but looks different because of the detail treatment?
(3) I don't want a train. Any design ideas about finishing the back?

I've been sewing since I was a child but all my stuff is very clean and simple, so all this extra fabric is freaking me out!!!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008 12:50:54 PM by mi-mi-mia! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ravenwitch
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008 03:37:54 PM »

Flowers can be easy to make.
Here's a quick tutorial.
http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/fabric_roses

Or, to make them even easier
Cut really long, wide strips on the bias, fold them in half but don't iron them.
Gather the edges, like you are making a long fat ruffle.  Then, tucking the ends in, roll it up, tacking the fabric down as you go.  Cut it off when your flower is fat enough.
I would either do the back like a simpler version of the front, or just let it fall down, after doing the front, and finishing it just above where the bottom layer ends.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mi-mi-mia!

Uh oh! What's that?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008 06:47:34 PM »

Thanks ravenwitch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008 06:51:59 AM »

Well, that's a designer dress, so the sheer layer is likely silk chiffon, which is pretty pricey. Good News: polyester & nylon/poly chiffons are just as beautiful and about 1/4 the price of silk chiffon (usually in the $8-12/ yard range). Floor length dresses always have way more yardage than people realize, light fabrics make them fun & easy to wear Smiley

I think the chiffon layer may be a hair longer than the underskirt & yes, it's poufing out because the layers are attatched together at the flowers.
Get some cheap cotton & practice pinning up layers to get that effects. *warning* this kind of tacking up is done by hand, estimate the time you think it will take you to do that sewing, and then be sure to leave yourself triple the hours to actually get it done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mi-mi-mia!

Uh oh! What's that?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008 07:09:31 PM »

Penlowe, thanks so much! I'm always the worst with estimating time, so I'll be sure to triple the hours as you said. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Personal Shoppers: No Longer Just For the Privileged
How to Deal With Love Handles
Underwear That Flatters Your Figure
Picking the Right Panties For Your Body
3 Lightweight Hoodies For Spring Workouts
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...