A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
829 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: GIANT Last Name Art  (Read 8692 times)
Tags for this thread: name  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2008 11:32:45 AM »

I made this image in Photoshop using pictures I found on Photobucket.  I checked out the Photobucket rules and as long as the account is public, the pictures in it are in the public domain.  Anyway, I  just searched each letter and found the ones I liked best, then used Photoshop to arrange them and size them appropriately.  I used the program at blockposters.com to separate the one long sheet into several sheets so it would be cheaper to have it printed.  I then emailed the file to Staples and got it printed in color, on card stock, for less than $7 (CHEAP!!)!  I had an old cardboard backing from a poster my son has hanging up in his room and just cut it to fit (with an xacto knife).  I used spray adhesive to glue the pictures down (being very careful to get the joins right because the program that separates the image separates it by page size and not by each letter, if that makes any sense) and then used mounting tape on the back of the cardboard to hang it up.  And voila!  A cheap and unique way to display your last name (or any other word of your choosing) in your home.  Although you can see where I screwed the join up on the letter "I", it's not really noticeable for the average person viewing it in my home.  I figure I'll take a black marker to that little piece to get rid of the white space.  Our last name is Hribar (weird, I know) and here are some pictures.

And a shot of it with our tv for scale.  The tv is 35 inches and the poster thingy is a little over 4 feet wide by 10 inches tall.

Note: If anyone else wants to do something similar, you get a lot more hits on Photobucket if you search "the letter h" rather than just searching "h". 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
bsonlytoots

B's Only Toots

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008 12:10:45 PM »

LOVE IT! Great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008 12:36:59 PM »

this is really cool!
i think flickr has some tools associated with it, for doing something similar...
here is one: http://metaatem.net/words/

ETA:  i imagine with those searches you could also check each image to make sure it was CC (creative commons) with permissions to use their image if not done for profit.  that would be good, too.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008 01:27:06 PM by nataluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
scrappygirl085
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008 12:52:54 PM »

Thanks for the instructions!  I saw this same idea in a magazine and as I recall it was very expensive to have done.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008 01:49:02 PM »

this is really cool!
i think flickr has some tools associated with it, for doing something similar...
here is one: http://metaatem.net/words/

ETA:  i imagine with those searches you could also check each image to make sure it was CC (creative commons) with permissions to use their image if not done for profit.  that would be good, too.

I tried that flickr tool, but I didn't really care for the images it pulled up.  One of the things I like best about the letters I found is that some of them aren't actually letters.  Like the H is part of a house, the I is a door and window, the A is an anarchy symbol.  I think it makes for a lot more interesting end result. 

Were you saying to check the CC for the Photobucket images?  Or the flickr images?  Cause with the Photobucket images, it's not necessary.  Like I said, if the account is viewable to the public, the pictures are in the public domain and are legal to use for whatever.  I'm not planning on doing any for profit anyway.

Thanks all for the compliments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008 02:05:40 PM »

I've seen books made like this for children to help them learn their alphabet. I've always though the photographer was so great to find all of those letters in our environment!
Your project is awesome and personal. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hawtmamah
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008 04:49:38 PM »

what a cool idea! i love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008 06:42:30 PM »

I tried that flickr tool, but I didn't really care for the images it pulled up.  One of the things I like best about the letters I found is that some of them aren't actually letters.  Like the H is part of a house, the I is a door and window, the A is an anarchy symbol.  I think it makes for a lot more interesting end result. 

Were you saying to check the CC for the Photobucket images?  Or the flickr images?  Cause with the Photobucket images, it's not necessary.  Like I said, if the account is viewable to the public, the pictures are in the public domain and are legal to use for whatever.  I'm not planning on doing any for profit anyway.

hey that's really cool.  i didn't really know anything at all about photobucket, but this is a good thing to know.
also i like your letters in things, you're right, that's a more creative trick.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
luv2draw
luv2draw

La la la la la la!

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008 05:36:46 PM »

great idea!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

La la la la la!
lila blue
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008 01:10:37 AM »

Oh my... I did the same last week! I used flickr spell, (didn't know about photobucket) to spell me and my hubbies names. Only I printed it at home, covered it with clear contact paper, framed in a black construction paper frame.  Grin

(Hee hee, it probably won't last very long, but I live in a resort town, 500 km from the nearest ...well, anything, really.... in a country that is, to say the least, crafterly challenged!  Grin )

YOURS LOOK AMAZING!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 5/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 13/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 3/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 14/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 4/15
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...