A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,795
Currently Running With Scissors:
769 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cool quilt block tutorial (EXTREMELY LOADED WITH PICS)  (Read 16683 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

McJulie-O
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2008 04:26:03 PM »

This one was a star right?  I saw it once on the Fons and Porter quilting show but I can't find it on their site.  It is such a cool star. 

It was a glorious star, with a narrow outline around the star lines and you wound up with two stars with reversed colors when you were done.

Equilters has another stack and slash star pattern that looks similar, but it uses a BUNCH of colors and has a completely different (and complicated) procedure http://www.equilters.com/library/techniques/slashstars1.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IamSusie
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2008 04:51:27 PM »

This one was a star right?  I saw it once on the Fons and Porter quilting show but I can't find it on their site.  It is such a cool star. 

It was a glorious star, with a narrow outline around the star lines and you wound up with two stars with reversed colors when you were done.

Equilters has another stack and slash star pattern that looks similar, but it uses a BUNCH of colors and has a completely different (and complicated) procedure http://www.equilters.com/library/techniques/slashstars1.html

I remember this one on the Fons and Porter show quite clearly.  I can't figure out why it isn't listed on any of the show summaries.

They used just 2 fabrics and ended up with 2 star blocks.  I think the shape of the star depends on how you decide to slash each cut.  I just did a mock up with some colored paper and my star came out straighter than the one at that equilter link.

You cut then sew each line of the star before cutting the next line.  Does that make sense?

The tutorial here that is missing the pics says to sew one inch strips between each section as you sew them together, but it seems to me you could also go over the seams with bias tape when you finish.

This block was part of a sampler that they were doing in a series.  It always struck me as a genius simple way to do a fun and funky shaped star. 

McJulie-O- are you going to try and sew it?  Just talking about it makes me want to give it a try.  Four big stars would make a fun baby quilt for some new babies about to come into the lives of my friends. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

McJulie-O
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2008 05:55:57 PM »

I remember this one on the Fons and Porter show quite clearly.  I can't figure out why it isn't listed on any of the show summaries.

They used just 2 fabrics and ended up with 2 star blocks.  I think the shape of the star depends on how you decide to slash each cut.  I just did a mock up with some colored paper and my star came out straighter than the one at that equilter link.

You cut then sew each line of the star before cutting the next line.  Does that make sense?

The tutorial here that is missing the pics says to sew one inch strips between each section as you sew them together, but it seems to me you could also go over the seams with bias tape when you finish.

This block was part of a sampler that they were doing in a series.  It always struck me as a genius simple way to do a fun and funky shaped star. 

McJulie-O- are you going to try and sew it?  Just talking about it makes me want to give it a try.  Four big stars would make a fun baby quilt for some new babies about to come into the lives of my friends. 
I absolutely want to, but then, I wanted to when it was originally posted, and then again on the Quilt Block A Month thread, and I didn't do it then, either..... and my summer is a bit CROWDED right now... so I hesitate to fantasize too much...

BUT I REALLY WANT TO...

And if I do, I'll take pictures at approximately the same points as the original poster and post them!!

WHO'S WITH ME!?!?!?  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IamSusie
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2008 06:22:46 PM »

Cheesy
I wanted to make it way back when I saw it on television several years ago!  I'm still feeling patriotic, and I love stars so I'll give it a try too ... with pics!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

McJulie-O
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2008 06:45:21 PM »

Cheesy
I wanted to make it way back when I saw it on television several years ago!  I'm still feeling patriotic, and I love stars so I'll give it a try too ... with pics!

You go, girl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beer Can Chicken
Just Peachy Smoked Johnsonville Brats
Pumpkin Pie part 1
Planked Beerlicious Baseball Burgers
Lamb BBQ Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...