A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: first attempt at silk screen baby onesies, with helpful hints and links  (Read 5335 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

urbanchic1212
« on: July 05, 2008 07:34:49 PM »

So after stalking this board for quite some time I decided to try my hand at silk screening. I decided to do baby onesies because I could make more of them for less than just making a shirt and babies don't care if they look stupid. Since I don't have a baby of my own, being only 16, I decided to make them for my youth pastor who does have a baby and can probably use them more than I could. I learned a lot trying to do this so I'll post some helpful hints and what I did at the end, but first the pictures. I also used bsonlytoots's post ( http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=252171.0 ) for one shirt and a couple peoples stencil's sorry I don't remember who you are if you tell me I'll give you credit. The banana one is my drawing thus why it looks the worst Cheesy.

all together (the package had 5 but I couldn't think of anything else to do so one will be blank, boring I know but oh well)

their baby likes to stare at the TV, this will not help her later on in life as I am figuring out  Roll Eyes

I just think this is funny even if they don't have a spiffy cool stroller like this

definitley my favorite it makes me crack up everytime i look at it

her dad always calls her Hannah Banana so thus where this came from. Just realized that I don't know whether her name is spelt with only one "N" I sure hope not man that would suck I should find out before I give it to them.

Okay Sooo Helpful Hints
-I used craftgrrl's tutorial ( http://community.livejournal.com/craftgrrl/3674467.html ) on how to make a screen to print with and I thought it worked wonderfully
-I used sheer curtain material for the actual screen
- I also used someones hint to dye the modpodge with food coloring, this works well but it turned the banana a little green  around the edges so i wouldn't recommend using that with light paints, such as yellow or white
- Speaking of paint, everywhere I read said that Speedball has the best paint but when I went to the store to get it they only had a starter kit and it was like 15 bucks and was only red yeloow and black however right next to it was Jacquard Textile color, I hadn't read anything about it but the directions said it permanent, washable, drycleanable,and non-fading so I went for it plus they had a ton of colors and it was only like 4 bucks each
-I followed the heat setting directions which were kind of vague so I'm not sure how well the paint will hold up the directions say to heatset on reverse side for 30 seconds at teperature setting best suited for fabric, that probably makes sense to you but I was confused so we'll have to see how it works

Okay I think that's it hope this helps others and encourages you to try screen printing it's really fun I already have a ton of projects in my mind to work on.   Grin

« Last Edit: July 05, 2008 07:46:28 PM by urbanchic1212 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

reality is for people lacking an imagination.
raeonix
Crochet, Cross-stitch, Scrapbooking

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008 07:51:48 PM »

If her name is spelled different that's what you can use the blank onesie for! Good job, I have an iPood onesie for my baby too, I asked my mom for an iPod for Christmas, and she got me that... I was only 8 weeks pregnant at the time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dez-igns
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008 09:11:54 PM »

great work! I love the Hannah banana Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So you, could spend the morning walkin with me, quite amazed. As I am unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed.
http://www.dezignsforkidz.etsy.com
urbanchic1212
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008 05:40:08 AM »

thanks her name is spelled with two n's luckily but i realized that one n looks weird hanah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

reality is for people lacking an imagination.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jodi Picoult Reveals House Rules
Bryant Park Reading Room with Novelist Cassandra Clare
Take a Walk with Best-Selling Author Jonathan Eig
Philippa Gregory Discusses Perkin Warbeck in the White Queen
Author Rhonda Stapleton Talks About Stupid Cupid
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...