Being the creative (but not necessarily talented) girlie that I am, I decided I would craft a few things for my wedding. Something’s worked out really well, like the invitations, and then some didn’t, like my fascinator and cake stand. I chickened out to wear my DIY fascinator. My husband saw it and said lovely, he liked it, his mom was like… is that for the wedding? Her face expression alone made my put it in the bottom of the drawer never to be revealed again.
Then my cake stand.. I was going for this look……. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=246438.0
But I couldn’t find any funky/ sexy/ cool plates, so I just bought these yellow ones, and figured and I would spray paint a design on them. FAILURE!!! The design wouldn't lie flat, and where it did it stuck to the plate, and then pulled off the paint when I pulled it off!! So then I thought well I will just spray it one colour, but then the whole finish was uneven. One BFF sanded it down and painted it over…. Did such a great job and we put it to dry in a room while it rained outside, to find it later that the room had a leak and the finish dried with water spots. Geez louise!!!! But It was dark and we covered it up so no one noticed. I tried to use the candleholders for the supports, but the glue wouldn't stick it. It just peeled right off. So we used the white vase in the pic (with mucho glue) and the candleholder on top with flowers and crystal beads, and wrapped black ribbon around it. And then I baked the cupcakes (dark chocolate) with white chocolate cream cheese and sour cream icing...mmmmmmmmm
Then 2 days before the church ceremony I happened to call one of the sextons who told me that there was a graduation on the day of my wedding so how could I possibly be getting married in that church… what….? Turns out the priest booked us in the other church further down the road, and neglected to tell us. Sweet. So my husband’s new name is Murphy. Cus everything that could have gone wrong went wrong. Btw.. some people still haven’t gotten their invitations (but they still came) and the dressmaker almost didn’t finish my dress on time because she messed up the dates. I picked it up 7pm the night before. I was late to the church. Also I didn’t finish my guest book in time, so I just used the cards alone and asked everyone to write warm wishes. The cards are white (frosty like) and I will stick them to a black page, and add pics of the person from the reception, to make a guest scrap book!
Oh and the biggest one.. we didn’t get the rings in time, so DH bought some el cheapos for the ceremony, and we got the real ones 3 days later. Whew!! That was a lot to go wrong.
What I did to save money
• Everyone took pics, and I am taking all the best ones to make an album
• I cut little cards from frosty white paper to make a scrap book instead of buying one I didn’t like
• I bought a vase and had it engraved with out names and date and got a floating candle. This was our unity candle.
• We made all the food ourselves since it was mainly finger foods and hor d’ourvres and a char sui type ham DH made.
• I got the alcohol duty free from the airport. We get a deal here, where friends can take the alcohol out of duty free for you (up to their max allowance) and then the store sends you a bill afterwards, so they don’t even pay.
• A friend lent me her video camera, and everyone took turns filming, which worked out even better since we have really funny commentary.
• I had my dress made
• DH wore a suit he already had, and looks super sexy in. Flower girl also wore dress she already had from pervious wedding
• One BFF did decorations for free (he’s a professional) and since it was very low lighting, and there were no tables, we used all silk flowers = no cost (since he had them already!)
• Another BFF did music for free
• Another BFF did makeup for free (she’s a professional)
• We had it at home
• Bought shoes on sale
And your reward for all of that reading, here is the wedding porn. I hope you enjoy!! There aren’t the best pics because I forgot to take them before the party, so most of them are after the reception during clean up. Oopsie!
What I really wore
Sweetest Flower girl - sans headpiece and shoes
My dress in action - at the end of the night
Decorations - Candleabras, fabric and christmas lights
and to match my theme everyone wore black (most people anyways)