A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,206
Currently Running With Scissors:
512 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: nursing pads...aka: boobie pads for leakage  (Read 451 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

karen09
« on: July 10, 2008 10:22:09 AM »

im not sure under what topic this would go so ill post here since most people here are reaaaallly knowledgeable about everything.
im still nursing and buying those disposable pads has gotten really expensive at 10 bucks a box for 100. psh. i dont know why i didnt think of this earlier but i want to make my own nursing pads and i found a tutorial but i kinda didnt understand it. Huh basically i want to know what material i could use to make them. i have some recieving blankets and i was going to use this waterproof mattress cover. its made of flannel i believe. ok well the tag says. shell 100% cotton, water resistant layer 100% vinyl. but its really thin and i dont feel the vinyl. can i use that?
please keep in mind im new with fabrics. so if you guys could use terms like, towel or examples of the stuff the fabric is made of would be a BIG help. thanks!!!
-k
p.s. please someone answer quick the baby is asleep and i have time  to make some!!! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I went a little overboard making reusable nursing pads Tongue PM if you want to swap for some.
Looking to swap for an old skeleton key!

also looking for a penpal, i want to make friends all over the world!!
stacysews
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008 06:44:20 PM »

I got a 3 or 4 sets (now I don't remember how many were in the box) that are washable from Target.  I think that if you wanted to make your own washable kind, you might want to use a cloth diaper.  I imagine that the center panel would be absorbant enough, plus the material would be soft next to your skin.  I would just cut out a circle shape and use a satin stitch\small zigzag around the edges and you should be good to go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mom2blu
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008 06:21:17 AM »

I know a TON of people that have made them just using flannel! There are two ways, one easier then the other:

For either I'd use about 4-5 layers of flannel

cut into a 4" across circle

way 1:
Sew around the edge and have a flat circle of stacked flannel! You're done

way 2:
If you cut a small triangle (like pac-man with a smaller mouth) and sew those edges together you can create a more cone like pad. then sew around the edge.

I would actualyl avoid using the waterproof material because it could cause some major chaffing and hold the moisture against your body.

If you wanted to get more complicated than flannel you could, but it really isn't nessecary.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to fill my home and life with handcrafts! PM me if you want to do a personal swap!

I have brand new inkpads and stamps I need to get rid of. Good brands too. I want to swap for other supplies! PM me if you're interested!

HELPPPP I'm addicted to wists!!!!! www.wists.com/mom2blu
funda62
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008 03:50:20 PM »

You can use receiving blankets to make them.  Some people make them from wool as well. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SAHM to two lovely girls
Fabric http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5067061.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Vintage Volume Do
How to Do a Cute Braided Style
How to Get Big, Sexy Curls
How to Trim Your Own Hair
How to Fight Frizz with a Voluminous Bun
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...