A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,202
Currently Running With Scissors:
513 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How should I create a curved hem on a skirt...  (Read 533 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Beantown
« on: July 04, 2008 07:57:42 AM »

...with fabric that is printed along a border.  Since the straight edge of the fabric can't really be cut into a curve, how should I approach this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a crafting addict!

Visit my blog!
AbbyRose
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008 08:19:42 AM »

Okay, I'm no clothing making expert but I can't see how you could do this and maintain the straight edge of the bottom border unless you're making a pencil skirt. I don't think you want to since your diagram is curved...  Anywho... I drew a rough sketch of the possibilities I can think of off the top of my head.

A. Keep the main body of the fabric intact and cut out triangular strips, without cutting into the border. Sew together at your cut lines.

B. Cut out panels from the fabric and sew the pieces together in such a way that the border lines match up.

C. If you want to do a pencil skirt you can cut out rectangular shapes then cut out panels (for the hips) and place them between the front and back panels.

D. OR, you could cut a front, back and 2 side panels all with border and piece it together like that.

I'd love to see what you come up with!

Happy Sewing!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008 08:24:30 AM by AbbyRose » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adorable handmade childrens hoodies in stock now!
Wistful Thinking.
I love to DYE Smiley
Handmade cloth diapers, booties, bags and more! www.abbyrosecreations.ca
sweetiepickles

mmmm crunchy crispy pickles

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008 08:57:52 AM »

cut a straight rectangle, then gather the top to the measurement you need  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Beantown
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008 09:02:42 AM »

That first suggestion makes sense.  I think I wasn't clear enough though-I want to make an A-line skirt.  In which case I think this is not going to be possible...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a crafting addict!

Visit my blog!
atomic mary
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008 10:19:18 AM »

i sooo love/hate boarder prints! i have just made one like abby rose suggested in view b. it turned out pretty good. i'm pleased with it but it did take some patience in getting everything lined up. the other way would be like sweetpickles said and cut 1,2 or 3 rectangles (depending on where/how you put in the zipper) but instead of gathering the fabric you could do inverted pleats. i myself am not fond of gathered skirts. too much volume exactly  ::)where i don't need it!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennette
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008 07:23:23 AM »

beantown,  i had the same problem with some really pretty sari fabric that had a wide bottom border.  i wanted an a line skirt.  i played with patterns for days trying to come up with some way to keep that border.  i ended up turning it into a wrap skirt.  it was super easy to make, kept the a line shape that i wanted and left the border straight. 

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=14880  link to wrap tutorial on craftster.  i think i changed mine around some, but it should give you a good idea.  good luck!  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Day-to-Day Evening Looks For Women
The Row’s New Take on the Trench Coat
How to Eat All You Want on Thanksgiving and Still Look Great
Best Dressed and Sexy Trends at the 2013 American Music Awards
4 Cool Ways to Wear Plaid
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...