A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 1940s/50s Patterns?  (Read 973 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

razzly
« on: July 03, 2008 10:12:57 PM »

Heyo, I'm trying to figure out where to find vintage patterns from the 40s and 50s that would fit me. Seems like all the actual vintage patterns I've come across (or actual dresses in thrift stores) were made for size 2 5foot girls. I'm 5'10" with 38" 30" 42" measurements, a long torso, and on average a size 12 - 14 in most stores (to fit my big booteh~lol). (Do I need to move this over to the plus size discussion?)

I don't have a good enough eye to look at a modern pattern and see how I could change it into a more vintage look, and I'm definitely not skilled enough to start de/reconstructing dresses I find that do fit. hahaha

Anyways, any help and suggestions would be awesome!

xoxo

ps
I tried doing a search, but after the 1st page the search function was disabled due to high traffic time! oh my! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008 09:22:05 PM »

People are bigger now than they used to be. Ever been in a museum looking at a real uniform from the Civil War that looked like a childs uniform? that was for a grown man! In 1900 the average height of an American woman was 5'0", in 1970 it had gone up to 5'3", I believe the agerage for 1990 was 5'5".

So, to answer, you will have to search really long & hard to find your size in vintage patterns. They do exist, but are far more rare than those tiny 32" bust ones you see frequently. Patterns of that era are harder to follow as well because they assumed you knew a lot more about sewing than patterns today. Some aren't even printed, they had a hole punch system, you had to know which holes marked darts, seam points, etc. I got really lucky a while back and have about 4 dozen patterns from the 40's & 50's, they are all fairly small (all from the same person) and fragiloe to boot.

That said, there are some specialty companies that make reproduction patterns & you can order any size you need. They are not cheap, usually in the $25- $35 range.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylentil
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008 02:15:44 PM »

I know exactly what you mean! I can easily spend hours wistfully searching out patterns from the 30s and 40s but they're all so tiny - it really makes you realise how different things are today. I haven't been bold enough to buy any patterns yet because I'm still so new to this whole sewing lark (Smiley) but one day I will. I've seen bigger, more "modern" sizes on ebay so that may be worth a try?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jlelliott
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008 06:02:25 PM »

I see patterns that size on eBay all the time! Of course there are more teeny patterns, but larger patterns certainly exist. I own several! I actually really like sewing with vintage patterns, they are mostly pre-cut, which I appreciate (being particularly lazy). They major pattern makers have also re-released a number of vintage patterns, which you can buy in more sizes. Check their websites or ebay for these as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missjesswinkwink
'Ginger did everything Fred did; only she did it backwards and in high heels'

Howdy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008 12:47:28 PM »

There are several pattern companies that do reproduction vintage patterns, sized to fit modern bodies. This is a great resource:

http://www.decadesofstyle.com/

There are quite a few more, check out this link for a complete listing of other links:

http://www.oldpatterns.com/links.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.rockinbclothing .com
------------------
www.rockinbdesign.b logspot.com
------------------
Night Train Swing Dance Club!
www.swingpurdue.org
------------------
Craft Addict

"She's crafty- and she's just my type"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008 10:23:38 PM »

I'm a fan of the Lutterloh system.  So far I've only made 2 shirts but I'm pleased overall.  Granted it's a little more work as you have to draft your own pattern.  But drafting with this system is pretty much connect the dots.  I've found a bunch of the books on Ebay which are not cheap but now I have a whole collection of patterns from the 40s and 50s that I can make for any size.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...