A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,143
Currently Running With Scissors:
415 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Embroidery elbow and wrist  (Read 986 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 03, 2008 08:52:25 AM »

Has anyone else had the problem of "tennis elbow" due to stitching. It just started happening to me within the last two weeks. I have pain on the outside of my elbow that goes to the inside of my elbow and then my wrist has pain and feels like it's going to sleep. I've been reading up on it but I'm wondering if anyone else has some tips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeatnikChick
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008 09:05:41 AM »

Let me know what you find out.  I sometimes do have this happen to me, but I try to only embroider for one hour at a time, except when I'm REALLY motivated to get something done.  This cuts down on some of the odd pain in my wrists and arm.  Also try holding your hoop differently.  (More so, I have this happen with my writs, I've noticed this even more since I HAD to get this new hoop by Clover.) 

I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the new hoop.  I purchased it because I was excited about the screw threads being encased and not having my floss snag on the threads of the screw.  However, it is much heavier than my regular plastic hoops and I've actually changed back to them.  Weird huh?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Human rights are for EVERYONE.  Did you know that Aung San Suu Kyi had been released from house arrest in Burma? Many other prisoners of conscience are still being detained.  Please research this topic... Amnesty International needs your help.
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008 09:10:35 AM »

That's interesting about the hoop. I'm wondering if that might be the case too. I'm gonna try switching them out and seeing if that works.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sonjabegonia

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008 09:32:31 AM »

I recently purchased a clover hoop and came to the same conclusion - nice that it's one piece, but not worth the added weight.

The one thing that it's good for is if you do any punch needlework.  There's a little stand you can buy for the hoop to sit on and it makes it easy (and safer) to do the punch needle.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Twitter - @snelsonchi
somerset
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008 05:22:40 PM »

I haven't experienced this (yet) but maybe since I use a scroll frame and lap stand my wrist is in a good position to begin with. I try to arrange myself so that my elbow has good support and my wrist isn't consistently bent. I know they make lap and floor stands for hoops too.

So sorry this is happening!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Backstitch - all my needle and thread projects

My Flickr photostream
BeatnikChick
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008 08:21:28 PM »

I haven't experienced this (yet) but maybe since I use a scroll frame and lap stand my wrist is in a good position to begin with. I try to arrange myself so that my elbow has good support and my wrist isn't consistently bent. I know they make lap and floor stands for hoops too.

So sorry this is happening!

I've been really wanting to purchase one of these.  The next time I get one of those 50% off coupons from Joann Fabrics and Crafts, I'm breaking down and buying a scroll frame and stand... however, the last time I went in, I didn't know what size to get, so I got the Clover hoop instead... What size are you using?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Human rights are for EVERYONE.  Did you know that Aung San Suu Kyi had been released from house arrest in Burma? Many other prisoners of conscience are still being detained.  Please research this topic... Amnesty International needs your help.
somerset
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008 09:55:35 AM »

well, I received a gift card and using the 50% off coupons I whittled that away week by week. I actually have all the sizes...there's no sheepish smiley.

I initially bought the smallest but when I got it home, plastic torn apart and everything, I found it wouldn't fit over my hips.

So, the one I use the most is 20 or 21 inches. Where the lap stand attaches to the scroll bar--that takes away an inch of stitching surface because you move the sides along the scroll bars to accommodate it. I've purchased some vintage crewel kits from ebay and I'm using the largest size right now.

Oh, btw--I totally jinxed myself. I've got an ache in my left (stitchin') hand now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Backstitch - all my needle and thread projects

My Flickr photostream
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008 03:04:59 PM »

I looked online and found a lot of interesting information. A lot of places suggested a brace (strip of a brace) that goes on your forearm to stablize and redirect your arm. They are pretty cheap so I might try one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bananabanana
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008 05:04:33 PM »

When Somerset said "it wouldn't fit over my hips" I was imagining a person using an embroidery hoop as a hula hoop and doing the hula!!!

Don't mind me....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeatnikChick
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008 08:08:51 AM »

I looked online and found a lot of interesting information. A lot of places suggested a brace (strip of a brace) that goes on your forearm to stablize and redirect your arm. They are pretty cheap so I might try one.

Try it and let me know how it goes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Glitter Pinecone Hanging Ornaments
How to Make Faux Bois Giftwrap
How to Make Custom Gift Bows
Homemade Christmas Tree Decorations
How to Make Candy Cane Mice
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...