A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 304,868
Currently Running With Scissors:
458 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet Nautiloid  (Read 2171 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Snork
« on: July 03, 2008 05:02:55 AM »

Hi, it's my first post, so go easy on me!

I've adapted the knitty nautie pattern which has been on the web for a while so that it can be crocheted.  The owner has given her permission for me to post the pattern and seemed very pleased that it can now be crocheted as well as knitted.

As I haven't posted 10 times yet, I've had to link to the pictures.  Sorry about that!

Here we go...

SHELL

Magic ring 3 sts, (or ch 2 and work 3 sc into the second chain).
Row 1 - SC around
Row 2: sc-inc, sc to end - 4 sts.
Row 3: sc around
Row 4: sc around
These four rows are tough on the fingers, but it will get easier.
Rows 5-8: Work as for Rows 1-4 - 5sts.

COILING THE SHELL

Add a little stuffing at this point and roll the shell towards the hook. Once you get the shape you like, you basically need to SC into one of the shell stitches to keep the coil in place. It really is up to you where you choose to pick up the stitch, but try to keep to the centre of the shell as far as you can, and don't pick up too low down or you don't get much of a coil.

Now, you started this process with 5 sts in your round. Now you have 6. What you should do is SC the coil stitch with the stitch on your hook (sc-dec) to return to 5 sts again, but if you forget and end up with 6 sts, it's not the end of the world. The nautiloid is very forgiving and so long as you keep more or less to the number of stitches, it will look ok.

So, that was row 9.

Round 10: sc around
Round 11: sc around
Round 12: sc inc - sc around. 6 sts.
Round 13: coil shell, sc around.
And again;
Round 14: sc around
Round 15: sc around
Round 16: sc inc, sc around. 7 sts
Round 17: coil shell, sc around.

Just continue working in these blocks of 4 rows until you get the shell size you want. I went to about 28 sts, but you could make a mini nautiloid or a monster nautiloid if you felt like it.

HEAD
I kept increasing by 6 sts each row until I had a half ball shape which more or less fitted into the neck of the shell. So,

Magic ring 6 sts
Row 1 - 1 sc inc into each stitch - 12 sts
Row 2 - 1 sc inc, sc - repeat to end of row - 18 sts
Row 3 - 1 sc inc, 2 sc - repeat to end of row - 24 sts

And so on until the circumference is about right. Then sc around for as many rows as it takes to get the head the right length. I think I did about 2/3 extra sc rows, but it's up to you. Don't close the head, just leave the end open and once you start to attach it to the shell, get the stuffing in.

A word of warning - if you make the head too big, it will look ever so slightly phallic when you sew it on!

To attach the head to the shell, make sure the head fits inside the shell so that the shell gives a sort of collar effect. Either add safety eyes before attaching and stuffing, or sew the eyes on afterwards as in my example.

The tentacles are dead easy - just make a set of chains as long as you like. I made 8 chains of about 19 sts each and sewed them on.

And voila!

As I was taking the photographs, I stepped backwards and stood on a snail, coiled shell an' all. I didn't feel too bad about this as he had just been chomping through my campanula.

http://horseofhistory.blogspot.com/2008/07/its-prawn.html
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012 08:13:04 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

wawamommy
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008 05:31:28 AM »

Wow!  Very cute!  Thank you for sharing your pattern. It's perfect for summer!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gnathalie2
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008 10:35:04 AM »

Wonderful!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

make today a positive one!
www.gnathalie2.wordpress.com
littlefawnpug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Formally known as missmoppet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008 12:32:08 PM »

Oh, I just made one from your pattern already!  However, I cant post a pic. yet.  Its for a swap partner of mine!  Thanks for the pattern!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-I give up on making TOL pendants.  If anyone would like to have my stone chips, wire and ect.  I would gladly trade it all for some knitting/crochet stuff.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
Snork
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008 12:45:29 PM »

You made one already?  Wow - I'm impressed.

I hope it worked the way you were expecting.  I was worried that the pattern might be too vague or just downright rubbish to follow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlefawnpug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Formally known as missmoppet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008 04:51:18 PM »

You made one already?  Wow - I'm impressed.

I hope it worked the way you were expecting.  I was worried that the pattern might be too vague or just downright rubbish to follow!

It turned out good for my first one!  Thanks again for the pattern! Grin
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008 04:51:45 PM by missmoppet » THIS ROCKS   Logged

-I give up on making TOL pendants.  If anyone would like to have my stone chips, wire and ect.  I would gladly trade it all for some knitting/crochet stuff.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
julea
I think not, thanks.

I less than three you. <3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008 06:01:08 PM »

Okay, nautiloid is officially my new favorite word. And yours looks remarkably cute and cuddly too! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whitestar
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008 04:01:27 PM »

Awesome! I've had that project in my Ravelry queue for a while now but the likelihood of me actually making it was small... I'm not fond of knitting on dpns at all.
Thank you so much for making this crochet version available! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jenicat
Where is my mind?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008 10:53:30 PM »

Echoing the poster above me...

I am an experienced knitter, but this is a daunting task for me... I would have no problem doing it, but I'd get SO BORED that I would likely put it down and never finish (which is why I never started in the first place).

How awesome of you to translate it into a faster method!  THANK YOU!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008 03:55:14 AM »

Thank you for sharing this pattern! I have half-heartedly been working on one for, well, years.  Cheesy

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Resilience Book Trailer
R. Kayeen Thomas Performs a Rap Song from the Novel Antebellum
R. Kayeen Thomas Reveals His Novel Antebellum
David Gelernter on Mirror Worlds: Space, Time, and the Internet
Actor John Challis Recounts Being Boycie at Althorp Literary Festival
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...