A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,350
Currently Running With Scissors:
370 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what to do with rough gemstones?  (Read 1127 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zazazoom
« on: July 03, 2008 01:35:37 AM »

Nearby to where I live is a place where you can dig for star garnets for a day with a $10 permit. Not only does it just sound like fun to do, but supposedly star garnets can only be found in two places in the world - around here and a place in India. Good ones are worth quite a bit... I think I read that 1 in 100 of the garnets you find will be worth making into jewelry, but you have a 5lb limit with the permit and when you do find nice ones they are worth a few hundred dollars a carat I believe.

The thing is, once I have found some rough garnets, what do I do with them? What kind of tools would be needed to properly facet or polish them? I don't have any of those king of things, but there is a local rock store... I am curious if anyone would know how much I would have to pay to make them jewelry quality or if I would even be able to sell them rough?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lilly_Queen
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008 08:31:26 AM »

Faceting them yourself is probably hard.
You could use a rock tumbler to smooth them out.

You can then set these in a ring or drill a hole in them with a diamond bit drill and string them onto jewelry.

But I would say bringing them to a local shop would be your best bet if you want them faceted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrgrita
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008 10:26:40 PM »

Stars are usually better as a cabochon.  If there is a local rock shop, surely there is a local lapidarist who would happily cut whatever you have.  Try to find someone who has worked with stars before to get the best cut.  It's really a pretty simple process of grinding with wet tools. To do it easily though, the tools are a bit pricey. I buy rough on ebay to cut, so you may be able to sell them that way, if you want to sell them after all that work!
~m
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
George Hamilton Reveals Where He Would Like to Be
Meet Author Jodi Picoult
Lisa Lutz Reveals Her Motto
Lisa Lampanelli Bares All
Stephen McCauley Talks About Insignificant Others
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...