A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,344
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Adding butterfly sleeves to tank tops  (Read 1165 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TessieSewsAlot
Runs with scissors

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2008 11:06:56 AM »

Our school starts in Mid-August when its blistering hot, but our dress code is very strict.  Shoulders may not be shown and tank tops must be 3 fingers wide.  I thought Id make up some tank tops with buttlefly sleeves like Ive seen posted here.  However, Im not sure how to go about it.  Ive just returned to sewing after 20 years, so Im really re-learning ( 7th grade home-ec really didnt teach me much).  Can anyone direct me to some great tutorials or help me out with simple instructions.

Much thanks in advance!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Inside me is a thin woman dying to get out, sometimes I give the broad cookies to shut her up!
lexiesmommy
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008 07:15:49 PM »

You'll need two measurements- from the front to the back along the outside edge of the strap and how wide you want the strap to be, plus width to finish off both sides of the sleeve. Then when you cut it out cut the outside edge kind of like a half moon shape with the side that will attach to the strap staight. I would then finish the straight edge somehow, i.e. serge it or do a really thin hem. Finish the outside of the sleeve how you want, with a regular hem or with some kind of ribbon or trim. Then gather up the long, straight length of the sleeve with a long running stitch to fit the length of the strap. Either hand tack or sew in place and your done. It sounds harder than it is. Just think of a really tall, stretched out D.
Another way I know some people have made tank tops school friendly is to take wide ribbon (three fingers wide) and sew it to the underside of the strap, making it look layered. Good luck!         
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wichitamom

Sewing & Crafts oh my!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008 10:47:33 AM »

I just use a cap sleeve pattern from some of my other outfits be careful with a satin stitch on knit because it can stretch the fabric out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TessieSewsAlot
Runs with scissors

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008 05:08:57 PM »

Thank you so much.  I just couldnt wrap my mind around it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Inside me is a thin woman dying to get out, sometimes I give the broad cookies to shut her up!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Princess Costume
How to Make a Spooky Halloween Yard Sign
How to Make a Pilgrim Costume
How to Do Vampire Lips With Makeup
How to Do Vampire Eyes With Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...