A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 305,735
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sympathy gift for pet death. Help!  (Read 1588 times)
Tags for this thread: memorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

delilah_bird
« on: July 02, 2008 07:00:03 PM »

Hi everyone,
   Recently my bf's family had to put another one of their dogs to sleep. She was quite old and very dear to the family. Last year they also had to put another of the family dogs to sleep (again she was also old and dear).  I wanted to make something for them then but somehow I never got around to it. So after hearing about the recent passing I came up with this window/sun charm thing (the pictures aren't really that blurry in real-life):

Unfortunately I'm not really sure if I like it. What do you guys think? Should I give it to them or should I scrap it and just give them the card? Thanks for the feedback!

EDIT:
 Thanks for the feedback everyone! I decided to leave the spiral but I made it more compact so it looked much better. I also gave the family a small potted Japanese Maple tree which I hung the charm from. I told them they could to whatever they wanted with it and I think in the end it was hung up as a window charm Smiley. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the modified charm but here's the tree all potted and sitting on the deck:

They really loved everything, thanks again for the comments!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008 09:39:27 AM by delilah_bird » THIS ROCKS   Logged
KidWithKemikals
Monisaurus the Crafty Dinosaur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008 07:08:28 PM »

I think theyre cute
the only thing Im not keen on is the swirly bit at the top
otherwise Im sure theyll love them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make Love - Not Horcruxes
summerluvin_ca
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008 07:14:39 PM »

I think that they are stunning. Little things like this made from the heart are cherished by the family for years to come. As for the "swirly" thing...is is a thick enough gauge wire that it will not droop down and lose it's charm? Another idea is to go with the swirls that you incorporated with the actual piece or even an ivy like thing.

But definately don't scrap it. Let the family know that you had wanted to do something like this last year for their first pet and only seemed fitting to finish it for them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://wists.com/summerluvin_ca          I WIST!

http://bitsandpiecestoo.blogspot.com     MY WEDDING BLOG
erinrosemary
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008 07:18:54 PM »

I like them and I think you are onto a good idea! I do have a couple suggestions thou. One is how would they hang it? Two is I too think the swirly thing kinda detracts from it. Maybe you could rework the wire and put the charms into the swirl rather than dangling below it. Also if you do that you could make a couple more charms with different pictures of the dogs and add those to it. OR you could make more charms,  put one charm to a swirly and make like a windchime-like creation. Just a couple suggestions to re-work it.  Cheesy I do think that they would enjoy what you are doing thou and would be appreciative!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunnyskies*4*
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008 07:22:35 PM »

I think they are beautifully done and should not be scrapped at all. I  do agree with the comments about the swirly part though. I would probably opt to hang these pieces somewhat differently, possibly sererately and then add something extra to make it a grouping of three. Whatever you choose to do will be cherished by the family and I think this is a very thoughtful gift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Sunnyskies~~
zenthistle
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008 08:42:19 PM »

I think they are very thought ful.. They should be cherished and most likely bring tears and perhaps you need a hankie to go with it.. 

(If they not into window charms.. maybe suggest for holiday decor...)  But you know  .. I think that it is pretty enough for all year round.. if they are sturdy enough for outside I would hang on the dogs.. favorite tree....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008 05:52:47 AM »

I love the charms!

I agree that the swirly part detracts - maybe if the swirly part was a plant stake? You could put it in a potted rosemary (for remberence) plant to give it to them. (I gave a rosemary plant to a cousin for her cat and a friend for her miscarriage - in both cases, it really meant a lot to them that the plant would live on.)

A beautiful way to help them remember a beloved family member.

Selkie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
delilah_bird
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008 09:49:33 AM »

Thanks for the help everyone! I decided to leave it almost as it was but rather than it being a sun catcher, I incorporated it into the other gift (a small potted Japanese maple tree) as more of a garden decoration. As far as the spiral thing goes I made it a tighter twirl (and it is a strong enough gauge to hold it's shape) which I think makes it look much better. I'm giving it to the family today so I'll try to take a picture of the final product before I pass it on. Thanks again!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Thick Hair for a Heart Shaped Face
How to Style Fine Thinning Hair to a Round Face
How to Style Thick Wavy Hair for a Round Face
Hair Styling Tips for an Oval Face
How to Style Thick and Wavy Hair to a Square Face
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...