A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
621 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A full, delicious, 6.5 feet of cupcakes and cheesecake!  (Read 42301 times)
Tags for this thread: cupcake  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

frogeyesalad

Texting from a few feet away? For shame!

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2008 06:26:45 PM »

ETA: I don't have the dimensions for the cake stand, we wrote them on various scraps of paper and they have long since disappeared, sorry! It's pretty easy, just decide on the biggest diameter you want for the bottom, and what looks good for the smaller layers from there. For the styrofoam, I just decided how much I wanted it to fill on the inside, and did two of each size so they were proportional to the boards.

We had 165 cupcakes and lots of mini cheesecake bites, along with flowers and greenery- there was definitely plenty of space! If you packed in the cupcakes you should easily be able to fit 300+.

My biggest DIY project for my wedding was the cupcake tree, and it was a LOT of work! Thankfully everyone pitched in and we got it done. We based it off this picture we found in a Sam's Club mailer a few years ago, so my sister (wootwoot) used her impressive math skills to calculate the size of each layer of the stand based off the width of the little girl's head in the picture!

We made the layers from 1/2" MDF from Home Depot, cut them with the jigsaw for basic shape, and then used the router and a circle bit to smooth the edges and round off the top of them.
We painted them white and cut circles in the middle with a forster bit.
The center pieces separating the layers were 6" styrofoam cake dummies we covered in white wrapping paper and cut holes in the middle as well.
The base is an octagonal elevated contraption my parents use as the Christmas Tree stand every year, with boards holding up a curtain rod, which went through the holes in each piece to support the tree.

Whew! I'm sure that was confusing, so here are pictures, the part you're really here for!

With us, for scale. My husband is 6', so I'm guessing it was at least 6'6", but we never measured the final product.

And, the picture we based it off of, for comparison.

Thanks for looking! Let me know if you need more explanation, it's impossible to find any instructions on how to make something like this, I searched everywhere, so I'd be happy to help anyone!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012 01:12:18 PM by frogeyesalad - Reason: I'm never on craftster and had lots of questions! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
prettyvacant

Starving Artist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008 06:31:07 PM »

oh my god that is simply awesome
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do drawing commissions
and swaps=D
pm me
Momma2FIVEgirls

Still creating the ever growing to do list........

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008 06:33:15 PM »

First of all let me just say that I LOVE LOVE LOVE this! I mean, if someone wants to invent a time machine, I would love to go back to last March and do this for my wedding. (this woud also delete the cake drama we had, but that's another story) I'm so excited, I wanna make one now! How cute would this be for Christmas or birthdays with little presents and other decorations stacked on it! Okay, forgive me for the excitement, I'm gushing with it!  Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bsonlytoots

B's Only Toots

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008 06:33:21 PM »

WOW! That's fantastic! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gracichu
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008 06:36:42 PM »

Oh my!  That is really awesome, and I think your's turned out much better than the one you based it off of- I like the variety of colors in yours. 

And how cute would little miniature ones be?  I wanna make on too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
j_en

Just stumbling through and trying my best.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008 06:37:00 PM »

Wow - that is so impressive.  And aren't the cake photos from weddings some of the happiest ones? Yours is lovely.

This amazing cakestand looks like something you could now sell to a party-hire company or something... you made it so well that it would be a shame if it was a single-use deal.  Looking at it just now I thought how having caster wheels on the bottom would make it a "moveable feast".  But I am such a nerd.

Congratulations on your wedding and your cupcake tree (and photos!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen
sunnydays914
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008 06:42:37 PM »

OMG! You totally pulled it off better than the picture you based it on. I love it. I'm glad you were able to figure it all out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KiwiDragons
Get it together!

Stacked Sheep. :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008 06:43:22 PM »

Wow-that is absolutely fantastic!!! I have a ways to go before I get married, but I hope I remember this when the time comes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists

Little Visitor Adventures
Charlie in MO
Zazie in Canada
MidwestDiva
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008 06:51:27 PM »

i want one of those in my house at all times!!!!!  I run on cupcakes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stewd_arts
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008 06:57:42 PM »

What a beautiful way to present a "cake"! I love this, but I have to ask- what did you do with the cake tree afterwards? I would think it would make a wonderful Christmas-tree cookie-serving device Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity."
    Edvard Munch
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creative Easter Centerpieces
How to Make Marbled Easter Eggs
How to Make Golden Glitter Easter Eggs
How to Make Lace Easter Eggs
How to Make Silk Tie Dyed Easter Eggs
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...