A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,111
Currently Running With Scissors:
382 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ever painted white cotton duck?  (Read 857 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mandodeb
Viva Handmade!

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2008 02:52:50 PM »

I want to either slipcover or reupholster a big comfy chair.  I can't find the upholstery fabric I want anywhere.   Tongue

What I want is a white background with medium or large flowers.  I am thinking of using a big ol' black Sharpie permanent marker to draw flower shapes.  It will look like a coloring book picture - thick black outlines with room to color in.  Then, I'll color in the flowers with different reds, blues and yellows.

SO: should I use acrylic paints,   Huh or permanent markers for the colors?

Should I consider using a lightweight canvas?  I thought about white denim, too. 

What do YOU advise?  Thanks for all the help!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008 06:49:11 AM »

I used leftover denim for a painting, just required more gesso than canvas is all. I'd treat your particular project like a wearable though.

Any good acrylic paint with fabric medium mixed in will do (just follow the directions on the medium). Fabric medium makes the paint remain flexible, which for furniture is good. Try a small sample before doing your big piece though, if it is too plasticky for your tastes you might want to go with dye. You can paint with fabric dye as though it were watercolor paints (which means painting the fabric before sewing/ upholsturing the chair, it will need to be flat). Dye painting will require more practice ahead, but will definately give you a beautiful final product.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mandodeb
Viva Handmade!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008 11:16:05 AM »

Thanks, Penlowe!  I didn't know about the fabric medium, and will be going to an art supply store.  Nice to know what to ask about!

When painting the fabric with dye, is there any danger of dye transfer to a person's clothing when they sit in the chair?  I would hate to ruin someone's pants!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008 02:05:12 PM »

Dye will take more steps in the before-it-gets-on-the-chair, but will be plenty permanent once it's there.  Most dyes need to be heat set, i.e. run through a hot water washer & dryer. If you want a crisp, pure white among your colored portions you will need a more experienced person than I, everything I've done it didn't matter if the dye went evrywhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Alexandra Transforms for Her Big Audition
Make Up For Ever Collaborates with 50 Shades of Grey
Expert Reveals Breakthrough Beauty Products
Beauty and the Blog: A/W Handbag Essentials
3 Easy Makeup Looks
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Marinara Sauce
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...