A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
510 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 66
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lap Quilt Swap III: Fall Edition (USA and Canada) GALLERY  (Read 35310 times)
Tags for this thread: lap_quilt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

athenamat

Newlywed quilter/lawyer

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 02, 2008 02:40:51 PM »

Let the conversation begin!  Remember to update your posts with any new blocks that you make.  It'd be helpful to include who's fabrics you had too!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008 04:06:51 PM by athenamat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking to send my Step-Sister's Choice quilt to a new home.  If you're interested in swapping for fabric/scrapbooking supplies, send me a PM.
athenamat

Newlywed quilter/lawyer

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008 02:42:23 PM »

This is one of the blocks for me Tongue  I don't intend to do a logcabin for everyone else but I just really loved it when my friend made me a narrow log cabin like this.  I don't like the white attached to the blue so I will probably replace it.

Here's proof that my scrappy colors are pretty together.  I won't be doing this block for anyone else because it was a pain in the rear.  I am not good at flying geese even with the square method.

This is for Homerof2.  I thought spools were perfect to fit her sewing theme!  I hope you like it!!

I want to steal SewHelpMe's fabrics.  Seriously soooo pretty and so fun to work with.

My own design!  I was inspired by BertaBerta's block as well as the spiderweb designs.  Paper pieced!  I got this new idea that is so obvious I'm reluctant to share.  When I am piecing a particularly hard piece that I'm afraid I'm going to mess up, I do a long basting stitch first to be sure I placed it right ... much easier to rip out than the tiny paper piecing stitches.  Once it's right, I followup with the right sized tiny stitch!  This took me a couple hours to draw, and plan, and piece and my bf is very scared about the exam.  I had to remind him I need some time to let it all sink in .... Wink

I think Audrey is really going to like this one!

For 1boygirl1kitty2 and BertaBerta, I did this same design for bunches of you and they are all 80% done.  This will be my signature block.  It lends itself well to a lot of different fabrics and I think the center star is so neat.

I thought the red fleecy fabric was really hard to work with.  Everyone should take BertaBerta's idea in the first round for working with stretchy fabric and iron on interfacing.  I was going to do that but thought I could handle it.  I did, sort of, but I was a bit frustrated.  There's also a pressing error I just noticed on the top of 1boygirl1kitty2's but I can fix that when I press it again.

Here's four more with that same star pattern. I'm not sure why JBQ's block is not pressing well, I'll try to press it again, or maybe there's something off on the stitching.  I dunno!

It's JBQ, then Glittergirl
Glittergirl, then 1boy1girl2kitty

JBQ and Jenicat

I LOVE this paper piecing book.  It gives you great measurements for the size piece to cut to minimize waste but also fit properly.  It has this great technique that involves a fold over and trim.  I didn't have to take out ONE stitch Shocked

I'm not totally happy with the placement of fabrics for Jenicat's.  I thought I saw it but it's not quite how I thought it would be.  I think it's still really pretty though.  And!  I have a lot of extra fabric so if Jenicat will let me, I'll make her another block.

JBQ:  My iron had some residue on it ( :/ ) and made the ivory pressed corners grey.  I was going to wash but then I remembered that your fabric is no washing.  I'm not sure what to do Shocked  I think it will come out once you wash the finished quilt but I'm really worried Shocked

For Ritapizza, more paper piecing stars, this is the NY star, the state where I used to live Wink

I'm very pleased with it.

Block for whoopdeedo, can I keep it? Smiley jk but I do love it.

Block for Fishie.  I wanted to showcase her snail.  More paper piecing of course.

Bonus block for Jenicat!

Block 1 for FlashleyAshley.  This isn't at all what I had intended and I ran out of fabric but I think it still turned out really pretty!

For klum78.  I LOVE these glittery xmas fabrics.  She approved of the applique and embrodiery details.  This is a crazy amount of paper piecing.  I was def inspired by the delicate piecing of angelbum.  And I used the "new" method in the paper piecing book and it made it so much easier.  I'm not very good at embrodiery though Sad

First block for Ajanderson.  I added the purple gold in the corners (she said you could add fabric).  I love love these colors together and think I'll go for this pallet of colors for myself soon.

Bonus block for RitaPizza [updated photo, wrinkle free]

Block for MissDisney [updated photo to be wrinkle free) I think she'll like this a lot Wink  Such pretty holiday prints!

Second block for FlashleyAshley.  This is the Virginia Star in the paper piecing book (seriously it's such a great book).  I think her fabrics were a bit loud for this pattern but I'm still happy with it.

Second block for Ajanderson.  She said we could add fabrics and I added the dark pink the upper right/bottom left corners as well as the light pink with white flowers near the center block corners.

Note to AJA: I had to add fabrics.  I think you sent the least amount of fabric compared to everyone else and I couldn't have done these designs without adding them (to both your blocks).  I would send a bit more fabric in future swaps if you don't want them to be scrappy with added fabrics (although I know you did encourage us to add fabrics for this one).

Block for Caroline.  Lovely lovely fabrics!  I am going to include a solid (that's not white or muslin) for once the next swap.  I think it really looks great with the others.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008 01:05:19 AM by athenamat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking to send my Step-Sister's Choice quilt to a new home.  If you're interested in swapping for fabric/scrapbooking supplies, send me a PM.
audrey1999

I think I have become addicted to quilting.

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008 04:09:29 PM »

Here we go...
I am considering doing the same block for everyone in at least one group.  I love this star block.  It is the amish star and I found the tutorial for how to do it at
http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2008/07/star-quilt-along-week-11.html
This is my first block for me!

A block for whoopdedoo_5!

A block for kaishabackwards.  I love the frogs, they are too, too cute!  The white spot in the middle is just glare from the flash.  I promise!

This is for mommythemaid.  I really like these fabrics!.  Her daughter picked them all out, and I think she did a great job.

7/23
A block for glittergirl94!  I love the red against the brown.  The brown fabric is so pretty!

I finished two more blocks over the weekend. 
FlashleyAshley:

A block for j_q_adams:

j_q_adams and flashleyashleys blocks look pretty together, dont' they?  Is it just me that thinks these fabrics would mix really well together?
Later on in the day...
A block for Homerof2!  What great animal fabric she has!  I love the giraffes, alligators, elephants, and little birdies.

I finished my block for athenamat today!  I really like the pink next to the green and the red.

Two blocks for 1boy1girl1kitty2 for Groups 2 and 3

I finished southernflower's block today.  I love the gray fabric with the flowers-so pretty.

Here is a block for sewhelpme.  I love these fabrics! 

Wow, I didn't realize it has been two weeks since I lasted posted any blocks!  I finished two for klum78 today.

I hope you like them klum78!

9 September

I finished a block for Ritapizza today!

15 September
Here is one block for MissDisney:

I now want a Christmas quilt. Smiley

Ajanderson78's  I love the purples!

A block for critterpants:

Lourapalmr:

Jenicat:

9/27
Block 2 for MissDisney:

Bonus Block for Ritapizza:

Block 2 for ajanderson78:

9/28
Here is a bonus block for Jenicat:

My second block for me:

Mosaic!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008 09:40:55 AM by audrey1999 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Attention swap partners! My blog and flickr have spoilers! 
http://audreypawdrey.blogspot.com
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008 05:12:00 PM »

my group 1 square                                                         group 3 square

Two blocks for 1boy1girl1kitty2

For BertaBerta
                                                                    For j_q_adams

Two blocks for Whoopdedoo_5

For kaishabackwards                                         For glittergirl94

For fishie                                                         For athenamat

For Audrey1999                                                For FlashleyAshley

For LouraPalmr                                                  For MommyTheMaid

For critterpants                                                 For Klum78

For Southern Flower                                           For Carodiynamite

For Angelbum                                                    For MissDisney

Two for ajanderson

Another for me:

My progress shots of what I've already received:

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012 10:48:17 PM by Homerof2 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

klum78

Actual size shown

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008 05:18:42 PM »

8/12
Two blocks for 1b1g1k2, both were cut to be Bento Boxes but I rearranged the squares for the second one:

8/19
For southernflower:

8/30
For Lourapalmr:                                                        for SewHelpMe:
a straight Bento Box                                                  A scrappy block of my own creation

9/15
I got on a Greek Cross kick.  On one or two of these I messed with the block order.

For FlashleyAshley:                                                   For Homerof2:

For j_q_adams:                                                        For GlitterGirl:

Two For MissDisney:

For Whoopdeedoo_5:

For ajanderson:                     

10/2
For Ritapiza:                                                                   For Jenicat:

For Athenamat:                                                               For kaishabackwards:

For MommytheMaid:                                                        For critterpants:

10/3
For Audrey1999:

12/2
Two for my Christmas quilt:

And that's all for me!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008 11:40:24 PM by klum78 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are in the process of switching over to cloth diapers.  Would love some advice, hint, tips.   Will swap for diapers!
My etsy shop: KimberlyMade
Wisty Goodness
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008 05:31:02 PM »

here they are! all 22 blocks i made for my groups

« Last Edit: October 25, 2008 05:25:35 PM by MissDisney » THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
1boy1girl1kitty2
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008 06:42:47 PM »

OK!  so i tried out the blocks i will be using for everyone and her is what i came up with:
the fabric is what i sent to group 2

this one is called prairie queen, i chose it because i am not the only canadian in this swap this go around but still wanted something depicting where i am from. so her is the prairie queen!

for those of you that are in two groups with me i don't want to make you the same block twice so i originally chose a second maple leaf but didn't care for the simplicity so switched to the laced star. i chose the star because i thought it sorta looked like scissors. aside from quilting/sewing i also use scissors to cut hair . . . i am a hairdresser by trade. so here it is the laced star

and if you are in all three groups with me (i think there is only one or two) i will be making the maple leaf as by the time i get to the third block fabric will be dwindling. so here in the simplistic maple leaf

and just for fun another of the original maple leaf

7/19
yay! i received my first 2 pkgs of fabric wednesday afternoon and before i even had a chance to pm the group leaders of received fabric i had completed blocks!
her is 2 for homerof2

and one for sewhelpme

7/22
i got JQA's fabric last night and had oodles of free time cause the baby napped for 3 straight hours!! Shocked that almost never happens (even at night unfortunately) so i settled down hoping to just get the pieces cut but got BOTH blocks cut and sewn and sent off! here they are
my signature block 'the prairie queen'

and 'the laced star' for duplicate groups with the same fabric

7/24
i rec'd fabric from audrey1999, berta, and whoopdedoo_5 last night and got crackin' and here is what i have for those ladies
for berta

for whoopdedoo

and for audrey! wow i can't wait to see all your blocks together!

8/2
i've had a busy week! i had parties with the kids and family AND neighbors almost everyday/night this past week but somewhere in there i managed to get these blocks done! if i am in two groups with you and you sent 2 different sets of fabric the blocks were the same

glittergirl

flashleyashley

athenamat

jenicat

kaishabackwards

mommythemaid

fishie

8/25
i finished these a while ago and they are at their own homes now but just havn't posted pics.

southernflower

louraplmr

ritapizza

8/30
my whole house hold caught the plague this week so i didn't get anything done! i did get three blocks done tonight and i will have the others 7 done over the next two days. then, sadly, i'm done!

caroDIYnimite

critterpants

angelbum

9/2
sadly this is the last entry in my gallery!

ajanderson (3 groups)

missdisney (2groups)

and i had a lot of extra fabric (she sent LOTS!) so i added a couple of prints i had that matched well (she ok'd this in her note) heres a bonus block

Klum78
she requested the laced star for one of her blocks so i used that one for the baby quilt block

her winter fabric

she also sent a bunch of prints so i wasn't able to use all of them in just one block so i also added a couple prints that coordinated well (she ok'd this) and made a bonus block

and thats all she wrote folks! been a pleasure working with all your lovely fabrics! i look forward to a round 4!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008 12:55:54 PM by 1boy1girl1kitty2 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap friendly - check out my profile for wishlist and wist
- looking for a HTF superhero squad knit fabric (cartoonish superman, iron man and the like)
BertaBerta
Jewelry, Fiber, and Yarns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008 07:12:59 PM »

My block for me:

My own design, which I've named fishwheel for what I'm pretty sure are obvious reasons.  I fussy cut all the fish so that they would be chasing each other around the circle, then realized that I'd been thinking of those pieces upside down when I did the tracing, so they're all oriented the opposite of how I would like.  I also think I maybe should have switched the placements on the tan and the green, but oh well...

For Homerof2:

Not everyone is getting the fishwheel, but she had specifically commented on it, so...  Smiley

For j_q_adams:

Another of my own designs.  I think I'll be doing a couple mellow blocks before another paper pieced monstrosity like this, but the fabric inspired me.

For fishie:

Scales!  My original pattern had a third color to each of the scales, but that curve was too tight for me to sew nicely. :/  As it was, those tight inside corners were trouble.  I ended up hand piecing after the first one I did by machine came out all rumpled and wonky.

UPDATE - I'm not dead!

For ajanderson:

For angelbum:

I hope it's not too plain for you.  I really like the fabrics and the bold floral and wanted to showcase that.  I think it's sleek and modern, but I can also see how it could be called boring...  :/  Also, the beige linen was *wiggly.*  The block squares up okay, but it takes a little finesse - sorry 'bout that.

For flashleyashley:

This was a proof of concept for a baby quilt I'm planning to make for a friend.  I was pretty happy with how it turned out.

And the final 5...

For Athenamat:

For: CaroDIYnamite:

For Whoopdedoo:

For glittergirl:

For 1b1g1k2:

« Last Edit: October 02, 2008 01:10:29 AM by BertaBerta » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bold, One of a Kind Jewelry, Fiber, and Yarns: bertaberta.etsy.com
FlashleyAshley

mashley forever

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008 07:19:57 PM »

I'm doing 'string stars 2' from quilters cache for everyone.
Here it is with some of my fabrics:

and with SewHelpMe's fabrics. My boyfriend said it looked silly with two fabrics as the background, but I kind of like it.

and one for glittergirl94. Her fabrics have such a happy vibe. Out of the huge pile of fabric, this was the first one I grabbed since it was so cute and bright.

Here is a block for whoopdedoo_5. I really love her fabrics, but I think the contrast got a little lost in the block. I maybe could have arranged them differently, but I still like it!

and here is jenicat's block. I am a fan of the  black/white/red combo and I really like the high contrast in the block.

and one for Ritapizza. I LOVE your fabrics for this whole quilt. I'd never have thought to put orange with blue, but I think it's a wonderful combination that I'll be stealing soon Tongue

and yet another string star, this one for BertaBerta. I'm glad she sent lots of fabric so I was able to make the fish face the way I wanted them to. Hooray!

and a string star for j_q_adams! I apologize for the picture quality, but I promise the block looks better in real life Tongue

After a few crazy weeks of being on vacation then starting school, I'm back to sewing! Here's my block for caroDIYnamite. I really like how this one turned out; the fabrics are lovely! [the block isn't wonky like in the picure]

I finally finished MissDisney's block. It looks wonky because I didn't give it a final pressing. The glitter from the pine needles fabric was melting onto my iron and really effed it up, so I opted to stop pressing.

Here's my block with glittergirl94's other fabric. It got me feeling all autumny Smiley

Fishie's block! For some reason, this block went together really fast. I like it.

Here's one for angelbum. I wish I could've highlighted the little animals more, but some of their heads got cut off Sad

and a block for 1boy1gril2kitty2. The white is so bright! This was a nice one to work on.

and a Christmas block for Klum78. yay, Christmas!

and a scrappy block for ajanderson78.

Here is my LAST string star (finally!) for Homerof2. How fun Smiley

For the people who are in 2 groups with me or sent fabric that logistically didn't work with that crazy block, I am using Carol Doak's book, Simply Sensational 9 Patch Stars. Like everyone else who has this book, I LOVE it.
Here's a block for JQA. This is unit 8 + unit 21. I didn't want to lose the pretty patterns in the fabrics, so I kept it simple.

and here's a block for ajanderson. I added the fabric in the center.I think it was units 7 and 37.

Here's a smaller block for athenamat. It's only 10.5 (10" finished) but I used the cd from the 9-patch book to reduce the pattern size. It's the Iowa block.

Here is another block for Athenamat. I really wanted to make her a string star, but I didn't think I had enough fabric and didn't want to really screw up! Here's the 'Wisconsin block' though I have no affiliation with Wisconsin besides liking this block!

Here's my block with 1boy1girl1kitty2's cowboy fabrics. I already traded her all my cowboy fabrics, otherwise I'd have thrown some of mine in there Tongue I DID however, use the leaf print which I got from Missdisney!

Here is Audrey's block. I ended up really liking this block in the end, though I  was really doubting my placement, etc. the whole time. I used MissDisney's leaf print again as I needed a whole lot more green fabric because of the paper piecing than it looks like. Paper piecing is so annoying, but for some reason I still love it!

okay! That's all for me!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008 10:28:57 PM by FlashleyAshley » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.ohthatashley.blogspot.com
I'm working on getting my blog up, check it out! Smiley
ajanderson78
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008 07:20:26 PM »

this is my spot!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 66 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Judith Viorst Talks About Unexpectedly Eighty
Bernie and Chet Fetch a Thief Book Trailer
Roz Savage Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Meet Supermodel Daisy Fuentes
The Lost Kings Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...