A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Blue Fairy Doll Cake (pic heavy)  (Read 1447 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shibug
« on: July 02, 2008 08:07:42 AM »

So, two weeks after making the elmo cake http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=253605.0 for my son, my niece turned 8.  She was coming to visit and ride horses on the beach for her birthday.  Her mom had told her that there would not be a cake since she wasn't getting a party for her birthday, just the horse ride.  (heh heh) 

This was the first doll cake I have ever made, but the doll cake is such an icon in itself that I was excited to do it.  I also think I freaked my 2 year old son out when he saw the doll pick http://www.bakingshop.com/bc/img/D-5.jpg. He was really confused as to where her legs went and why they had been replaced with a spike.

I decorated the doll's hair all cute-like and used sticker gems to make her a necklace.  One thing I realized is that those doll picks do not have hair like barbie.  I tried to start brusing and styling her hair like I used to do to my barbie dolls and a bunch came right out - so be gentle with the doll pick's hair.

My niece's favorite color is blue and I wanted to make it a fairy cake.  I had hoped to make the wings edible, but running short on time I used 2 paper gift tags.  The blue glitter on the wings (and elsewhere on the cake) is edible, though.  I purchased the sugar flowers on her dress at a local shop, though I'd love to make my own flowers next time.  One problem I had with the cake pan is that my cake mix did not rise to the top of the dome pan.  After cutting off the uneven parts my doll was awfully short.  I think I would use one and 1/4 or one and 1/2 boxes of mix next time.  I wanted to make a cupcake for the candle so I used some of the strawberry cupcake mix in a quiche pan to make a round layer to set the doll on to give her some height, which also made for a neat surprise when we cut into it since the doll cake was a golden cake. I had trouble getting the buttercream dyed purple, like I wanted, so the accents on her dress are a grey-blue, but it worked out okay.  My leaves didn't turn out well because my green frosting had become runny somehow, I'm still not sure what went wrong.

(The front view, in all her glory.  The first thing my niece did is grab the flower off her hand and eat it)

(close up, I would have liked to have done some facial/make up work to make her look more fairy-like, but I was short on time)

(side view.  Yes, she does lean back a little... oops)

(back view. Her wings are just stuck into the buttercream bodice, it held nicely)

(And the cut view.  I would like to present the cake on a more creative plate/platter/soft cloud next time.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Icemommy
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008 08:21:43 AM »

That last pic is creepy as hell, hahaha.

Damn, this would kill my barbie-mariposa-fairytopia phase daughter. *takin notes*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Momma2FIVEgirls

Still creating the ever growing to do list........

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008 08:38:38 AM »

Very pretty, reminds me of a cake I had, loooooooonnnngggggg gg ago!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lylmousy
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008 08:39:15 AM »

I had a barbie doll cake when I was little, it was my favorite of all the birthday cakes I had. Yours looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only exceptionally rational people can afford to be absurd.
Crafterbynite
Customizing the world ..one shirt at a time

Extraordinary machine!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008 10:33:22 AM »

love it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ETSY :: Wist :: Blog :: Fb :: Twitter
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Paint With an Air Compressor
How to Draw Decorative Letters
How to Draw Anime Girls
How to Draw a Caricature
Learn How to Draw Michael Jackson
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...