A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,223
Currently Running With Scissors:
377 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 55
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lap Quilt Swap III: Fall Edition (USA and Canada)  (Read 26954 times)
Tags for this thread: table_runner  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

athenamat

Newlywed quilter/lawyer

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 01, 2008 09:41:55 PM »

Gallery for Lap Quilt Swap I Spring: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=231990.0
Gallery for Lap Quilt Swap II Summer: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=240167.0

Our Gallery [Lap Quilt Swap III]: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=254966.0

Swap name: Lap Quilt Swap III: Fall Edition (USA and Canada)
Craftster member who is organizing this swap: athenamat & audrey1999 & Homerof2
Sign-up date range: 7/1-7/8
Date to send item by: 8/1 for fabric; 10/1 for blocks (read below)

Limited to a certain number of people? (optional): Yes -- 36 people.  There must be exactly 12, 24, or 36 people.  If there aren't 12, 24 or 36 people by the time the swap is set to begin, I will extend the signup period.  Whenever there are 36 people I will close the signups.

Restricted to people who all live in the same country? Yes -- U.S. or Canada only

All ages allowed? Or 18+?  18+

Swap Organizer himself/herself meets these conditions:
- Has fully read the Swap Info Guide: YES
- Has successfully completed two swaps as a participant: YES
- Is not organizing more than three swaps right now: NO
- Will recruit a co-organizer or give all details to a Swap Moderator if this swap has more than 25 participants: YES -- there is already a co-organizer, Audrey1999.

Swap Organizer will check each participant to make sure they meet these conditions:
- Has been a member for at least one month: YES
- Has posted at least 15 times: YES
- Has completed one swap successfully before signing up for multiple swaps at a time: YES
- Is not currently signed up for more than five swaps: YES
- Does not have any negative feedback: YES

*When you send me PMs, the more specific you can make the subject line the better!

Summary of swap:

You make 11 blocks for the people in your group using the fabrics of their choice and you receive 11 in return.  You can make whatever style or pattern block you'd like.  You make yourself one block too which gives you 12 -- enough to make a lap quilt!  Read on for details!!

Details of swap:

There may be two (or three) groups of 12 and you'll only quilt for your group.

Each participant will choose/purchase the fabrics that she wants in her own quilt.  She will send out at least three different fabrics totaling at least 3/8 yard total to each other participant.  If you prewash your fabrics (most quilters do), prewash them before you send them.  The fabrics must be quilting cottons -- no velvet or knits.

No piece should be smaller than 9"x9" and you should send some lights and darks.  Remember, the fabric that you send out to people will be in your block.  Give the participants a range of fabrics to work with.  You may even want to send more fabric to be sure that the participants have the flexibility to use lots of different designs.  In the past swaps, participants have often wanted more fabric to work with.  It's better to send extra because you'll get the scraps back.

If you have any special requests, include a note when you mail out the fabrics (special requests include preference for traditional or non-traditional blocks, embroidery, etc.  These requests do NOT have to be honored, but it's an additional chance to let your partners know what you are most interested in).  Be sure to include your name inside the package to help the receivers to keep them organized.

2 requirements when you send your fabrics: (1) Send your fabrics inside a ziplock bag with your name written on it.  Do not use the ziplock bags that have the slider closers as they cost more to ship.  (2) Include a return address label -- it can be a print out to tape on the package (it doesn't have to be a professional sticker) 

All the fabrics must be sent by 8/1.  You do not have to prove via DC that you shipped the fabrics; if the fabric gets lost in the mail, it is up to you to resend or the recipient will not be responsible to send you a block.

Each person will then receive 11 sets of fabric.

Using the fabrics sent by each person, you will make that person a quilt block that measures 12.5" x 12.5".  Please be precise on the finished size.  You'll send each of these blocks back the original person (along with any spare fabric that you did not use so the original person can use that for pieced sashing or additional blocks if s/he desires).  You can use whatever pattern you desire to make the blocks. You can make all the blocks the same or each one different.

All completed blocks must be sent by 10/1.  Delivery confirmation is not required.  However you must at least save the receipt.  If your package gets lost in the mail, you must be able to prove that you sent it for positive feedback.  Please remember to include your username in the package so that everyone knows where their blocks came from!

This gives you two months to make 11 blocks.  Since you don't have to quilt or piece the blocks together, this is totally doable.

When the swap is over, you will have received 11 blocks (and you should make yourself one) out of the fabrics of your choice!  You can piece them all together and add sashing/border and make a truly keepsake quilt.  Without sashing, the finished quilt size will be 36 x 48" (this is a lap quilt size; or you could use it as a baby quilt too).

PLEASE only join if you know how to quilt.  I know that joining swaps can be fun to try out new techniques but because you are working with someone else's fabric, you can't just purchase more if you make a mistake.  So please, be confident in your skills.  You don't have to be amazing but just be sure that you can pick a design and move forward without fear of messing up the fabric.

Gallery  Everyone is requested to post photos of their completed blocks to their "block gallery."  When I open the gallery thread, every person will post a HOLD spot for their block gallery.  This just means that you post a comment on the thread.  Nobody can post any discussion until everyone has created their block gallery.  When you finish a block, you'll post a photo of it to your block gallery so that everyone can see.  After all the galleries are created, everyone can discuss the blocks.

** This swap is communication heavy!  You are expected to promptly notify your group leader whenever you send or receive fabric or blocks.  So please be willing to quickly communicate with me.  You'll be sending nearly 25 pms.

Please: If something happens to snag you from sending, send late.  BETTER LATE THAN NEVER!  This swap ONLY works with full participation because you have someone else's fabric!

Feedback will be given as soon as you send all your completed blocks and they are received.

If you want to participate, information to send to organizer: athenamat

audrey1999 and Homerof2 will help with updating the status and keeping everyone on track over the summer.

You may sign up for more than one group.  Tell me how many times you want your name in the hat.  For example, if you want to be in 2 groups, you'll send out and receive 22 packets of fabric; 3 groups, 33 packets of fabrics and blocks.

QUESTIONNAIRE TO ANSWER:
Name of swap
Craftster username
Email address
Your real name
Mailing address including the country

IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE, REMEMBER TO SEND YOUR INFO TO ORGANIZER VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE AND NOT TO REPLY WITH IT HERE.

Also remember to read the Swap Info Guide to find out how to ship your item and other details about participating in a swap.

AFTER PEOPLE HAVE SIGNED UP AND BEEN APPROVED, LIST THE PARTICIPANTS HERE:

1. athenamat x2 [Gallery]
2. athenamat x2 [Gallery]
3. audrey1999 x2 [Gallery]
4. Homerof2 x2 [Gallery]
5. FlashleyAshley x2 [Gallery]
6. LouraPalmr [Gallery]
7. 1boy1girl1kitty2 [Gallery]
8. 1boy1girl1kitty2 x3 [Gallery]
9. 1boy1girl1kitty2 x3 [Gallery]
10. glittergirl94 x2 [Gallery]
11. ritapizza [Gallery]
12. whoopdedoo_5 x2 [Gallery]
13. BertaBerta (ship with fishie) [Gallery]
14. CaroDIYnamite *welcome to our first time swapper! [Gallery]
15. MissDisney x2 [Gallery]
16. MissDisney x2 [Gallery]
17. angelbum [Gallery]
18. fishie (ship with BertaBerta) [Gallery]
19. klum78 x2  [Gallery]
20. klum78 x2 [Gallery]
21. audrey1999 x2 [Gallery]
22. homerof2 x2 [Gallery]
23. ajanderson78 x3 [Gallery]
24. ajanderson78 x3 [Gallery]
25. SewHelpMe [Gallery]
26. Jenicat
27. critterpants [Gallery]
28. southern flower [Gallery]
29. whoopdedoo_5 x2 [Gallery]
30. kaishabackwards [Gallery]
31. MommyTheMaid [Gallery]
32. FlashleyAshley x2 [Gallery]
33. glittergirl94 x2 [Gallery]
34. ajanderson78 x3 [Gallery]
35. j_q_adams x2 * Welcome a first time swapper! [Gallery]
36. j_q_adams x2 [Gallery]

GROUPS

STRIKE THRU MEANS FEEDBACK LEFT

GROUP 1: LEADER MARIE

athenamat
homerof [done group 1]
flashleyashley
1boy1girl1kitty2
angelbum
ajanderson78
BertaBerta
fishie
whoopdedoo_5
j_q_adams
glittergirl94
CaroDIYnamite

GROUP 2: LEADER AUDREY

athenamat
audrey1999 [done group 2]
flashleyashley
1boy1girl1kitty2 [done group 2]
MissDisney [done group 2]
ajanderson78 ??
j_q_adams [done group 2]
glittergirl94 [done group 2]
ritapizza
klum78 [done group 2]
SewHelpMe
Jenicat

GROUP 3 LEADER: Cindy

audrey1999 [Group 3 done]
homerof [Group 3 done]
ajanderson78 [MIA Sad]
1boy1girl1kitty2 [Group 3 done]
MissDisney [Missing package]
whoopdedoo_5 [Group 3 done]
LouraPalmr
klum78 [Group 3 done]
critterpants
southern flower
kaishabackwards
MommyTheMaid

PACKAGE TRACKING[/color]

All of the information will be recorded in these spread sheets.  Click on the links to view them.  If you have any questions on how to read them, please let your group leader know!  Also keep in mind it may take us a bit to update the spreadsheets from your pms, so be patient!

GROUP 1 PACKAGE TRACKING:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=puZrnceeWx3F15u7lcoKsNA

GROUP 2 PACKAGE TRACKING
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=puZrnceeWx3HLhg7MxkMeKg

GROUP 3 PACKAGE TRACKING
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pnfEpcm2kCHwsZtmthjGTZg
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008 05:13:54 PM by athenamat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking to send my Step-Sister's Choice quilt to a new home.  If you're interested in swapping for fabric/scrapbooking supplies, send me a PM.
LouraPalmr
Seamstress Of Hairspray Beauty Lounge

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008 11:10:09 PM »

how could I pass this one up, i'm in. At least my machine will be in perfect working order by then!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"no shirt, no shoes, no dice"

My Etsy - http://www.DevilDogCouture.etsy.com
FlashleyAshley

mashley forever

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008 11:13:20 PM »

I want in !

I better get my butt in gear and send out my other swap packages so I can sign up!! It'll be a crafting frenzy  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.ohthatashley.blogspot.com
I'm working on getting my blog up, check it out! Smiley
klum78

Actual size shown

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008 11:34:30 PM »

Now to decide how many times to go in...  I am def. regretting not going in 2x last time but not sure that I can handle making 36 blocks!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are in the process of switching over to cloth diapers.  Would love some advice, hint, tips.   Will swap for diapers!
My etsy shop: KimberlyMade
Wisty Goodness
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008 11:57:28 PM »

as soon as i have a spot, you will have my questionairre

this and the 12 days are the only 2 im gonna do for a very long time (if i can keep my promise to myself!)

oh yea, and im in for at least 2, and if you need me to take a third (an uneven number or whatever) i will be able to do that too (i may even go on ahead with 3)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008 11:58:41 PM by MissDisney » THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
whoopdedoo_5
I can resist anything...except temptation :P

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008 03:40:40 AM »

i might have to do this one Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ajanderson78
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008 06:28:12 AM »

hmmm, I have to think, think, think.....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

1boy1girl1kitty2
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008 07:29:36 AM »

i sent my info in! i would love to do 3 groups but if the third group ment that someone else wasn't able to join i'd givenup the third group. i just miss doing blocks and everyone is still posting blocks but i'm done and have no more to post!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap friendly - check out my profile for wishlist and wist
- looking for a HTF superhero squad knit fabric (cartoonish superman, iron man and the like)
maiziemama
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008 08:51:12 AM »

ohhh..very tempting.  I will send my info in tonight!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1boy1girl1kitty2
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008 10:15:19 AM »

i have been buying print for awhile now anticipating this swap, i just dragged ebay for the last couple i wanted now i just have wait till it gets here and then i can ship fabric out
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap friendly - check out my profile for wishlist and wist
- looking for a HTF superhero squad knit fabric (cartoonish superman, iron man and the like)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 55 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
WIND SQUID #4 - Massive Explosion
WIND SQUID #5 - Space Pirates!
Les Nabis: When Paintings Were Inspired By Photography
WIND SQUID #6 - Return to Sender!
WIND SQUID #7 - Outpost 34 Emergency
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...