A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 301,588
Currently Running With Scissors:
430 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Honey I'm Home  (Read 849 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Buttermilk
All I wish is that my side of the story may be told. Kintpuash of the Modoc tribe, 1873

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: July 01, 2008 06:21:39 PM »

My husband has been a beekeeper for over thirty five years.  He recently added two new hives to our group.  I thought you would enjoy seeing how one hive can produce a variety of types.  Each jar is a rendered amount from the same hive, but different seasons.  Summer seasons mean loads of clover for the bees.  That is the honey that is sweetest, and very light.  Fall weather and spring has such heavy nectar choices for the bees that they end up with dark and rich tasting honey.  Each has a flavor unique from the other, and remember they are from the same bee hive--just different times of year!  The wax is wonderful.  There is no scent in the world more heavenly than freshly harvested combs of bee hives.  Well, maybe the scent of our grandchildren while they sleep in our arms tops it, but the honey is heavenly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SunflowerSmiles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008 06:25:31 PM »

I never knew there was different types?  Or colors and tastes!  I learned something new today!  What's the difference in taste with the dark and light...I want some dark!  Where do you find it? Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
Bead brain
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008 06:33:03 PM »

There is no scent in the world more heavenly than freshly harvested combs of bee hives.  Well, maybe the scent of our grandchildren while they sleep in our arms tops it, but the honey is heavenly!
Amen to that.  My Grandma used to take me to the beekeepers to get honey when I was a little kid grewing up in rural Montana.  That was many years ago & I still remember that smell....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

OmJane
-Tanya [tawn-yuh]

clickity clack.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008 06:59:18 PM »

i love the factoids.
ive always been deathly afraid to go near a hive or bee box.
mmmm honey.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog: Flour and Fleece

"On the contrary, it is you who are crazy to think that you are mighty because you can wound and destroy. That is the task of children. The mighty know how to create and heal."
Buttermilk
All I wish is that my side of the story may be told. Kintpuash of the Modoc tribe, 1873

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008 09:15:21 PM »

The light honey - well our light honey - has a very light taste, very sweet.  It is not unusual to find one of the grandchildren poking their little fingers in the little pyrex bowls we keep sitting under the little setup we use to drain the last bits of honey from the wax before we begin melting it to put into little wax cakes for storage.  (how's that for a run-on sentence)  The dark honey has a flowery and heavy flavor.  The light colored honey is thinner in consistency in my opinion.  When there are fewer flowering plants the bees produce less honey.  Right now in our area the flowers are in a transistion from one type to another flower, so the bees aren't producing as much honey.  Instead they are working on building the comb.  Bees in the USA now are all non-native species, imported over the many decades and integrated into our world.  I recall that when I lived in Italy the bees seemed aggressive, however I may have just had a bad experience or two.  The bees we have are pretty docile.  They don't want to sting because they die when that happens.  They don't sting unless they are frightened, surprised, or threatened in some way.  The best time to approach a hive is around the brightest part of the day, certainly not on a cold or rainy day. They are out of the hive gathering pollen and nectar.  It's neat to find the little pollen packs they store in some of the little comb spots.  I don't know a lot about this, except through absorbing what my hubby shares.  I know that when he brings in the honey he wants to carve out any of the uncapped sections, he calls that "green honey".  It isn't green in color, but apparently if the bee doesn't cap the honey, it can get a bitter flavor.  So if he finds several cells open or uncapped and partially filled, he cuts them out before rendering the rest of the comb.  The "green" or uncapped honey is what he sets into a little glass bowl for our instant enjoyment.  It tastes the same, but again, he says it for some reason causes a bitter flavor to set in.  Did you know that honey has a certain antiseptic quality to it?  I hope to post another photo or two.  Thanks for sharing with me.  Saving the bees is important to our world.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Buttermilk

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008 09:18:59 PM »

I have a fuzzy photo of the comb but you can see in the foreground the uncapped cells that I was referring to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SunflowerSmiles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008 09:26:51 PM »

Now that's cool!!  man....I learned more stuff!!  thank you!  Honey is super good for a lot of things from what I hear....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
Longelegantlegs

Don't touch my nuts.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008 10:27:48 PM »

I'd love to see pictures of the hives...There's a house in our neighborhood that has a 'beware of bees' sign on their fence. I always think "I should make friends with those people" But I'm too chicken. I hope they will sell their honey later in the year!

Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dawn Octopus
I wish I had 8 tentacles.

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008 09:52:35 AM »

Very cool! I always love the part of the country fair that has all of the homemade honey and beekeepers demonstrations.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud pre-adoptive Mother Smiley
SariatheCat
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008 09:11:18 PM »

That looks amazing! Beekeeping has always interested me. Not as a profession for me (I am very allergic to bees and afraid of them!) but the whole process is interesting. Are your husband's bees having trouble pollinating or making honey lately since supposedly many bees have stopped (and we don't know why, cell phones)? I hope they are doing just fine. Smiley The honey looks really good, at any rate!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Featured Blogger: Annabelle Fleur of Viva Luxury
The Pencil Skirt: An Office Staple is Reborn
5 Ways To Wear A Leather Skater Skirt
Rev Run and Tyrese: You Wore That to Church?
Rev Run and Tyrese: How to Dress For Your Age
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...