A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 306,354
Currently Running With Scissors:
374 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help Quick! Are there sewing machines with no pedal????  (Read 639 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thewritegirl
« on: July 01, 2008 09:14:07 AM »

There was this Morse Fotomatic on craigslist for $25. I heard they were workhorses, so I called about it. The girl said it was her mom's, and she has never sewed a day in her life so she doesn't really know what to look for. Anyway, she said there is no pedal with it. I assumed that it was lost, but she said that she can't even find a place that it would plug in, and that when they turned the machine on, it started "sewing," moving the needle up and down without them doing anything.

Are there actually machines that don't have pedals? And, if so, how on earth do you control it? I'm thinking the pedal has to be lost, but if that's really how it's supposed to be, I want to get that machine.

Thanks!
Mary
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008 10:53:09 AM »

I have heard of machines that have a knee pedal instead of a foot pedal but never a machine with no pedal at all.

Here is a Morse Fotomatic that I found on Ebay that shows it has a foot pedal. http://cgi.ebay.com/MORSE-FOTOMATIC-ZIG-ZAG-SEWING-MACHINE,-MODEL-4100_W0QQitemZ180250110026QQcmdZViewItem?IMSfp=TL0806042056r23735

Not sure why the machine she has would moved the needle when just turned on.  Sounds like it needs servicing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
thewritegirl
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008 12:59:26 PM »

Yeah, I've been trying to look around and find pictures. I looked at the couple on ebay, and it looks as though they have pedals. Bummer. I guess I'll be passing on the pedal-less sewing machine! Not worth the hassle of trying to find a replacement part for such an obscure machine.
Mary
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mom2blu
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008 12:45:33 PM »

I just read a brief reference somewhere to a "pushbutton"  morse fotomatic? Is it possible that maybe it could have a push button go? Perhaps it started sewing right away beacuse it does and is in the on position or the button is stuck?

I'm trying to look into it more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to fill my home and life with handcrafts! PM me if you want to do a personal swap!

I have brand new inkpads and stamps I need to get rid of. Good brands too. I want to swap for other supplies! PM me if you're interested!

HELPPPP I'm addicted to wists!!!!! www.wists.com/mom2blu
SpottedFrog
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008 07:01:52 AM »

There are pedal-less machines Smiley They are hand crank, no electricity needed. The hand crank machine was actually the first 'portable' style. My dad has one, I'll be digging it out & posting pictures soon. (and playing with it Wink ) Hand cranks were made from earliest days of sewing machines untill electricity became common in households across America/ Europe, so they died out in roughly the 1930's.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paroper
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008 07:38:08 PM »

There are older machines which are hand crank and there are the older ones which are treddle, even new mechanical machines can be converted to treddle.

There are machines (obviously) with foot pedals and sometimes the foot pedal and the plug-in are in the same cord with a box connection at the machine.

It used to be that when you ordered a machine it always came in a cabinet and had a leg pedal.  WHen I was young, this and the treddle machines were the only ones I ever really saw. 

There are also mechanisms that can be added to the machines for a pedal-less operation.  I don't exactly know how these attach.  I think that often they are just a box with controls that are operated with the hand.  I don't know if you can lock it on and then stop it with the control or if you have to operate it by holding the control in place.  These are often added to machines as options.  For instance, I think they can be added to nearly any Bernina machine.  They are used for people who are disabled and do not have full use or control of their feet (even short people who can't necessarily reach the pedal comfortably).  I would think that nearly any major company might have this option in some form which could be added to their machines.

I would assume that there might be some machines which could be ordered with the handless operation, I don't know. 

I would be hesitant to order a machine from a second owner who couldn't (for sure) tell me what was going on with that machine though. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nessva
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008 12:49:02 AM »

My new sewing machine can be used without a pedal. It does come with one, but if it's not plugged in, you just press a button and it does the same thing as the pedal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Production Studio - Lower Thirds
Adobe Production Studio - Masking Out an Area and Using Pathfinder to Crop
Adobe Production Studio - Creating a Background for the Bug
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Access and Purge Cache Files
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Copy and Paste Camera Raw Settings
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...