A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,928
Currently Running With Scissors:
552 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Projecta Scope Projector?  (Read 7394 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JustCheeky
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt

View Profile WWW
« on: July 01, 2008 12:54:03 AM »

Hi everyone!  I need to create a wall mural and I was thinking about purchasing an inexpensive projector to reproduce the image I want.  I have a Hobby Lobby in my town and I was looking at a wonderfully priced projector called  "Projecta Scope".  I was wondering if any of you own one or have used one and can let me know if this would work for projecting an image large enough for a standard size wall?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JillBoBill
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008 03:27:05 PM »

Hi!

How big of a mural are you thinking? I just google-searched the name of the projector and the site I came up with is saying it projects up to 5 times the original - OUCH! I found another site that said it was a 15 times enlargement - which is still pretty piddly. Not to mention it only uses a 100 watt bulb - can you say DIM?

I'm not saying you should rush out and buy a $500 projector, but here's something to consider. The projectors I sell to professional and even hobby artists for mural work and large-scale paintings run a 500 watt fluorescent or incandescent bulbs (or two 250 watts). They enlarge up to 70 times a mostly come with 6"x6" or 7"x7" copy areas (the place where you put your original). I can't even find a number for how big the copy are is for this one....

So, I mean ... If it was me... I wouldn't get it. Even for the great price of $20-30. You're probably going to get a lot of haze, small projection images and LOTS of dithering and fuzz at the edges. It might be worth the frustration to get a slightly more expensive brand/model.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
odd_artist
WEIRD IS GOOD!

Twister of Minds

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009 06:35:07 PM »

I have something that sounds like what you want - not sure what it's called, and while I have had it for over 35 years, I have still seen it advertised so they must still be making them. And I don't think they have ever changed the design, by the looks of them!
It's this thing you set over your design, turn on the light inside, and adjust the lens on the top, so the mirrors inside can reflect a clear image on a wall. Your image has to be less than 4 INCHES large in order to project the whole thing, but I can get a reasonably clean image to about 4 FEET big on a wall about 6-8 feet away. I use it to enlarge sketches to be traced onto canvas. Sometimes it's tough to see exactly where the line is (a pencil line ends up about 1/4 inch thick!), but it's easier than enlarging by grid. I think they sell for about $20 - pretty cheap!

My grandma gave mine to me. I remember showing 'movies' (comic book shows) to my brothers on a wall when I was only 8 years old.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop!
Craftsomnia
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009 05:34:47 PM »

Hey-
So I have one of these.. I've had it forever now.. to do some painting on my kids wall.. Squidward!.. I used a print out from the internet.. it was not very big.. the hole you get with these to put over the image is not very large.. keep in mind the larger you want the image to be, the further back you have to pull the projector.. the further back  you go.. the less you can see the image on the wall.. the projection really is pretty terrible.. I had to do it in the dark & just did a rough sketch because it wasn't worth trying to actually see much of the blurry lines on the wall.. I made it about 4' tall.. looked nice in the end but I wouldn't buy one again.. you need one of the types from schools.. like high schools.. with the transparencies.. those would work much better..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Mix & Match Your Wardrobe
DIY Fashion Inspired by the Kitchen
Is a Bra the Secret to Looking Slimmer?
4 Fashion Looks For Only $80
2013 Summer Swimsuit Fashion
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...