A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,054
Currently Running With Scissors:
583 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Needle+Zipper+Bra+A Lot of Time On My Hands=New Purse? [Now with instructions]  (Read 4387 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SaralaAnne
Stitch Bitch.

Sitting in my room, with a needle in my hand...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 29, 2008 08:27:44 AM »

Okay, so I haven't posted here before, and I was wondering what people thought of this:

I've seen a lot of sites with how to make an old bra into a purse, so I took their ideas and kind of...warped them a bit and this is what I got:

Now, I've got a smaller bust size, so naturally my purse is going to be smaller than say, Pamela Anderson's would be, but even a B cup can hold enough stuff.

It'll also hold some cash, but I'm pretty much broke at the moment so I couldn't show that.  Wink

I took this to one of my boyfriends all day benefit shows last weekend and it was great! I was able to carry it for about six hours comfortably, without it getting in the way.

How you do it:

!!!Warning: I don't think you can do this with a machine, so naturally the only other option is hand stitching, but it only takes about two hours and is totally worth it!!!

First you find an old bra, or new bra, but I prefer to use an old bra so I have an excuse to get a new bra Tongue.

Next what you're going to do is cut off one side of the shoulder strap, I like to do the one that would go on your back, and bring it around to the front of the cup like thus, making sure that the strap doesn't get twisted:

Then what you're going to do is find a zipper and trim it to the size it needs to be to fit in the...um...well, the part in front that gives you cleavage? Does anyone know a real name for that? Anyways...And you'll want to put some frey block on there so it doesn't unravel since you need to cut it smaller than the smallest zipper I could find around here anyways, and sew it to one side so it looks like this:

And after that is finished, or before, this really doesn't matter so long as it gets done or you could run the risk of losing your zipper, you need to sew something to block the zipper. I use about ten stitches accross on top and underneath. And I know it's hard to see because I used clear nylon thread, but it should look kind of like this:

Hey look, I decided to make my bed!

Next you want to sew the other side of the zipper onto the other side of the cleavage giver part deal. This can actually get tricky, which is why you put the zipper on first, because you have to do half of it while it's zipped, and then turn it inside out and do half of it while it's unzipped just so you can have access to it. I might not have explained that right.

Next you're going to say goodbye to the straps that hold around your back and the piece that holds the cups together, cutting as close to the underwire as you can without cutting the fabric, though if you knick it a little it's okay because you can cover it up later.

What you're going to do next is basically put the two cups together and sew on the outside all the way around.

I'm right handed so I like to start on the side with the underwire and work my way to where the back straps were, but I think it's a matter of which way you're comfortable working with.

When I do it I also just try to make it in one pass, and I usually need to tie off and rethread my needle about three times.

And once you have that done, you're, well, done! You can also decorate however you want. And you have your self a cute, simple, sexy, cheap new purse!

Not to mention an excuse to get a new bra! Wink
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011 05:16:35 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest!

Current Swap(s):
Currently on a swap break...
Hltrskltr
"I've got a...muscle cramp." "In your pants?" "It's a thing!"

Slayer, The. She who hangs out in graveyards.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008 10:28:36 AM »

wow, that's really cute!
I would never have thought of doing something that awesome with an old bra
I would love a tutorial...I really want to make one now!! =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SaralaAnne
Stitch Bitch.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008 11:16:11 AM »

wow, that's really cute!
I would never have thought of doing something that awesome with an old bra
I would love a tutorial...I really want to make one now!! =)

I'm glad you liked it. I put a tutorial up, though I'm not always the best at explaining things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest!

Current Swap(s):
Hltrskltr
"I've got a...muscle cramp." "In your pants?" "It's a thing!"

Slayer, The. She who hangs out in graveyards.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008 11:29:42 AM »

cool! thanks, I'm definitely going to try that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smalleah
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008 05:37:29 PM »

I've seen those. They're cute, but all of my bras would be too small.  Roll Eyes

Do you plan on decorating it?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008 05:38:09 PM by smalleah » THIS ROCKS   Logged
SaralaAnne
Stitch Bitch.

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008 06:51:44 PM »

I'm not sure. I might embroider it later, but I think I like it plain.

And if you wanted one but think yours would be too small, you can always buy a bigger one, too. I thought mine wouldn't be able to hold anything, but you'd be surprised.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest!

Current Swap(s):
justine256
נυѕтιиє.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008 05:45:49 AM »

Haha that's so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ich Liebe Dich.

TH♥
urssa
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008 11:57:39 AM »

Hahaha, very creative!  Grin Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Salli

...Its either black or white...Colors are extinct!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008 06:23:10 PM »

wow...imgoing to go dig in my old bras now!!!!!!!! awesome tutorial...saw a tutorial for it before but it looked so absurd...yours looks way cuter and soooo cute!!!! iiii...im gna post pics once im done!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You may or May not...that's all there is to think of!!!
SaralaAnne
Stitch Bitch.

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008 04:28:30 AM »

wow...imgoing to go dig in my old bras now!!!!!!!! awesome tutorial...saw a tutorial for it before but it looked so absurd...yours looks way cuter and soooo cute!!!! iiii...im gna post pics once im done!!!

I'd love to see it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest!

Current Swap(s):
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
LRIA Exhibition Pop Bang Art Timelapses
How Jimmy Gownley Draws Amelia
How to Draw a Sabertooth Tiger
How to Draw a Dodo Bird
March 18th: The Art of the Steal
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...