A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,683
Currently Running With Scissors:
561 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lovely indie mauve gathered dress --now with tutorial!!! ++photos  (Read 91485 times)
Tags for this thread: dress , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CherryBalm
« on: June 29, 2008 01:49:04 AM »

So, this is used to be one of those shapeless broomstick/ hippie skirts... it looked something like this kind of skirt

Anyway, I loved the feminine crinkly softness and color of the material, so I decided to release the inner integrity of the fabric. And re-create it based on a totally original design!

----------------------------------------------------------

So, I'm adding a tutorial now! Please bear with me, I'll try and do this clearly!

First of all, this project require a specific kind of skirt- namely, one that isnt segmented and also, has a huge amount of fabric. The original skirt that I used was probably about 35 long and the length of the hem around this edge- which is all still retained the final dress- measures to be 16ft of fabric! It sorta looked like this:

You will need:

Your skirt
A pair of fabric scissors
A seam ripper
Large-ish safety pin
Pins
Marker
2 pieces of elastic that each go around your waist about
A piece of elastic for the straps thats about 85 long, preferably
Plenty of patience (Yeah, I know it sounds cheesy, but this could be a little difficult if youve never sewn with ruffles.)

Step 1:

Remove the waist. Make a clean cut right below the waistband, being careful to not un-gather the material of the skirt.

Step 2:

Slice the band on one side, where the seam is, and use a seam ripper to splay the fabric (turning the tube into a flat panel.) Sometimes the fabric is stitched right into the elastic, so this part could be really tedious, but you really need this section! You can iron it if youd like.

Wrap this piece around the smallest part of your body and pin in place. This is where the waist is going to fall on you so make sure to cut the other pieces where you want the sections to fall in proportion to this one.

Step 3:

Use the elastic to measure at the top and bottom of the waistband. Dont pull it tight, just let it sit comfortably. Mark with a sharpie. These are your two pieces to use for later.

Step 4:

Cut out the bust from the top portion of your skirt in a shape which is higher in the front than in the back. It should be about 11 or so at the crest to allow for the top seam. Then cut a slit into the center about 2/3 of the way down (you can always cut further down later if you want to adjust.) Note: this will look like a weird, triangular shape, but trust me, thats good!

Step 5:

Pin the first piece of elastic into the bottom edge of the bust portion. Try to keep it in place so that the gathers are evenly placed. Or better yet, use basting stitching. I used the widest stitch on my sewing machine around the edge, then I pulled the thread taught to pin exactly how I wanted it, then removed the thread after the elastic was permanently stitched in.

Step 6:

Use a wide zigzag stitch to hold the elastic in place, making sure that there is still a bit of stretchiness to it.

Step 7:

Now, make a tiny rolled hem at the top of the bust and down the center slit. Then fold the fabric over a little bit wider than your elastic. I.e., if your elastic is 3/4, then turn the fabric over 1. This is something of a tunnel for your elastic to fit through.

Step 8:

Hook the edge of the elastic into your safety pin and then feed it through, bit-by-bit, into your fabric tunnel to the other end to create the straps. Afterward, you can either cover your exposed elastic with some fabric, or just leave it plain. (I had enough skirt fabric left over to cover mine but it would have looked neat with a different color, too.)

Squinch down the fabric a little bit, and you should have a nice, rounded edge. 

Step 9:

Pin a rolled hem and stitch it straight onto the waist (I did this by hand in a contrasting embroidery floss color, in vertical stitches.) This covers the ugly zigzag stitching and creates a nice illusion with the gathered ruffles.

Step 10:

Take the remaining skirt fabric and then gather it with basting stitching as you did earlier, then zigzag stitch the other elastic piece to it. Then, attach the skirt to the waist the same way, putting the ugly sides toward the inside, and stitching with embroidery floss.

Congrats! A beautiful, soft dress! I hope this was somewhat helpful or at least educational!

Thanks to my gorgeous friend, Alana, for being my model.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009 09:22:00 AM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eartian
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008 02:32:21 AM »

lol I actually really like those hippie skirts  Grin
But you've turned yours into something great all the same. Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissRainbow_X
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008 03:02:00 AM »

Hey, do you think you could post a tutorial? I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

courtsi

Just movin' on by.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008 03:34:27 AM »

That is absolutely beautiful. I would also be interested in a tutorial if possible please?

Court.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Court.x
Sinking Hearts
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008 03:55:22 AM »

Beautiful, it looks amazing on you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
puffy

I'm not short! I'm just an out-of-season leprocahn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008 04:33:01 AM »

This is so gorgeous! It's kinda hard to believe that it's original purpose was something else; it looks so perfect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
VintageEnthusiast
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008 04:58:44 AM »

wow what a transformation!! I had a look at the pic of what your new project originated from and you turned it into something amazing. excellent work  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008 05:30:54 AM »

oh, very lovely!  I have a very similar skirt that I might do the same thing with now.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ruthie tuesday

'she's my brown eyed girl'

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008 05:35:03 AM »

wow, great recon! that colour is just gorgeous, good save
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brandnew
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008 05:36:20 AM »

Wow, that looks amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Teriyaki Chicken
Tandoori Shrimp in Baby Pita
Summer Roll with Shrimp
Steamed Jade Bamboo and Fish
How to Make Shrimp Stir Fry
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...