A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
449 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Make Your Own Naruto Headband  (Read 12781 times)
Tags for this thread: template  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2008 03:54:19 PM »

Ok, so my son just turned 5 yesterday and he absolutely loves Naruto.  We took him out to dinner for his birthday last weekend and we got him this Naruto headband from Hot Topic while we were out.  A few things about that.  Yes, it's made from steel and it's pretty decent quality, but it cost $25!!!!  Say what?!  Yeah, but it was for his birthday, so we got it.  In a sucky turn of events, they only had ones with the symbol of the Sand Village and my son really wanted one with the symbol of the Leaf Village, which is the kind that Naruto actually wears.  I sound like such a dork right now Grin.  Anyway, we weren't about to spend another $25 plus shipping to order one off the internet, and it wouldn't have gotten here in time anyway, so what's a mom to do?  I found this instructable:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Naruto-Style-Headband/?comments=all&sort=OLDEST#comments

and my first thought was "Dammit!!  Why couldn't I have found this before we bought that other one?".  So, yeah, I made one by loosely following that instructable.  I made the following modifications.

I did the bit with the can like the instructable says. But, I didn't use the template on there because I used the headband my son already had as a template. I cut the shape a little bigger all the way around and then rolled the edges under so he might avoid killing himself with any sharp edges. Also, I didn't use brads for the circles on the sides.  I used a hole puncher to cut little circles out of the leftover bits of the can and I glued the resulting circles down with super glue. I used an old pair of maternity jeans and super glued the silver part to the jean fabric and then cut the jean fabric to size. Then, I cut the band out of the top of the maternity jeans and used that as the headband part. it was the perfect length and width, and since it was already in a tube shape, all I had to sew were the ends. Awesome! We had some industrial stick on velcro, so I just used that to attach the metal plate to the headband. For the symbol, I traced the symbol onto my template for the metal plate and then used one of my bamboo knitting needles to kind of "emboss" it on there. Then, it wasn't really dark enough so I used a sharpie to fill it in. That was too dark, so I used some scissors and kind of scraped away a good bit of the sharpie, then used a paintbrush dipped in alcohol to smooth the sharpie back together, but a much lighter shade than the original black. So, anyway, I think it turned out pretty good for costing absolutely no money!

Here's the one I made with the one we bought:

Here's a better picture of the symbol:

I had to turn the flash off so it wouldn't cause a glare, which makes the photo a little blurry.  Sorry about that!  Also, sorry for rambling on!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008 03:54:54 PM by thankyoulocust » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
pixeegrl
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008 04:06:02 PM »

What a cool mom you are. I have to add though on a side note. I don't know if you have a Family Dollar in your area but my son got his there-the leaf one-for only $5.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
punkypenguin42
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008 04:31:49 PM »

super cool. Great job. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you are going to wish...wish big!!
http://craftydoodads.blogspot.com
itchyscissorhands
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008 04:24:35 PM »

I love Naruto.  I think the Konoha headband you made looks so awesome compared to the manufactured Sand headband.  Really awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Molly~
RyuzakiAi
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009 05:08:26 PM »

Wow! That's so awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Envy is better than Edward.....in his dreams!!!!!!!
Never stick Pocky in an automatic pencil sharpener. -_-
doglvr123
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009 02:01:52 AM »

i used to be OBSESSED with naruto when i was in 5th grade, still kinda am, not nearly as much tho. What an awesome parent he has to make him his own leaf village headband! I always wore mine around my neck like Hinata to school, then my teach confiscated it D: bummer, but i'd never let such an awesome headband like this be taken away:D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Insert witty remark here
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Satoshi
The Origins of Charlie Brown
How to Draw Miyamoto Musashi
How to Draw Lelouch
How to Draw Alucard
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...