A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,081
Currently Running With Scissors:
753 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 50 States Block Swap DONE!  (Read 11700 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chinarockfishakm

Ralphie Jr. (Christmas Story)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #100 on: August 09, 2008 08:12:24 PM »

whats the diff between scant and regualr 1/4 inch? I have been using a 1/4 inch foot.

UPDATE: AUDREY! You saved me from certain despair and lost of cursing. I lined up the fabric with the part of my 1/4 foot that curves in a little at the front and its totally correct. Block 4 lined up everywhere and was a tad bigger than 6.5. Trimmed it down and its great!!! Im going to pull the other apart and fix. Seems the scant seam is only needed after step 5 anyways. YAY! 2 more till AK is done. YAHOO! Thanks again! I will sleep well. Grin
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008 09:06:32 PM by chinarockfishakm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft-ish Blog: http://notimeforcrafting.blogspot.com/

Anyone wanna help a good cause and buy a sonography class cookbook so I can go to a seminar in September? They are $15 alone, and $20 with handmade potholders. PM me!
chinarockfishakm

« Reply #101 on: August 09, 2008 09:23:27 PM »

I put up a gallery for those wanting to post progress pics, and to see others for inspiration (and maybe motivation...haha). If you dont want to see anything before you get them in person dont go to the gallery. Or if you are being secretive dont feel you have to post anything until the end either. Have a good weekend everyone!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=262336.0

The URL is on the top of the swap info on page 1 as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone wanna help a good cause and buy a sonography class cookbook so I can go to a seminar in September? They are $15 alone, and $20 with handmade potholders. PM me!
audrey1999

I think I have become addicted to quilting.

« Reply #102 on: August 09, 2008 09:54:29 PM »

Chinarockfishakm, I am so glad I could help. Grin  I know when I first started trying to use these online patterns it was seriously driving me crazy, sometimes I was perfect but more so I was off and too small!  I knew I had cut everything exactly the same size and my foot was supposedly 1/4 inch-which wasn't really true when I measured it.  It is almost 1/4 but a little bigger-I might say a scant bigger.  When they say a "scant" it is supposed to be a thread or two less than the size to accommodate for the area you lose when you sew two pieces together and then press the seams down.  The best thing I ever did for my sanity was put a quilting ruler down on my machine and mark where a 1/4 inch really was from the needle when it was down.  I did the same thing for my mom and it was also extremely helpful because her feet didn't "really" line up either.  My machine is pretty ancient or "vintage", hers is fancy.

Editorial comment:  So why don't they account for this in the directions?  Some people do, so it must not be incredibly hard!  I have been doing the star quilt along at crazymomquilts.blog spot.com this summer and her directions turn out perfect without having to account for that pesky scant 1/4 inch seam. 

Should I post pictures of the blocks I have completed so far in the gallery?  I am a little scared in case people don't want to see them.  Everything I have so far is finished-so no in progress.   Although, I just got some fabric in the mail for NC that I love, which hasn't been sewn into anything.  It seems that is where I am at.  Waiting for mail.  I do have Montana, Colorado, Florida and Washington done!  That is 19/50-which doesn't really seem like very much when I put it that way. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Attention swap partners! My blog and flickr have spoilers! 
http://audreypawdrey.blogspot.com
chinarockfishakm

« Reply #103 on: August 09, 2008 10:04:42 PM »

Haha well if people dont want to see then they can just not go to the gallery I say. HAHA!
IT felt good to have to trim the block down rather than look at the missing fabric. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chinarockfishakm

« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2008 08:30:34 PM »

Ok, I have given up to the fact that each of my blocks is slightly weird. The odd thing is that something different comes out weird everytime.
I finished AK just now. They look alright. I may pull apart the first 3 to about step 5 and redo that part with the scant seam. On to OK now. WOO!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008 08:56:21 PM by chinarockfishakm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

chinarockfishakm

« Reply #105 on: August 12, 2008 02:05:57 PM »

Woo I have all my fabric except one for my background for NM. I cant find the one I want to save my life! ARGH!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pertelot
« Reply #106 on: August 12, 2008 02:14:45 PM »

i still have some fabric to get... i probably need to visit ebay tonight lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chinarockfishakm

« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2008 04:10:39 PM »

You know when you cut the corners off the squares? What can be done with all these? SEems like a big waste.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

audrey1999

I think I have become addicted to quilting.

« Reply #108 on: August 12, 2008 05:58:32 PM »

What I started doing on my last set of blocks because I couldn't stand throwing away all that fabric, was sewing another seam 1/4 inch away so I could cut between the seams and have a set of half triangle squares.  I ended up with a lot of those little squares-mine are about 1.5" square- and have started piecing them into little 4 square blocks, which is kinda fun.  I mad some pinwheels and some other random blocks.  I don't know what I will do with them, but maybe I will use them to make a pieced strip on the back of the quilt.  That way it will help me remember, when I am old, the blocks I made.  I am seriously thinking of pulling out all those little triangles out of my scrap bin and doing the same-but then I wonder if I am sane to want to sew two little triangles together, really.  Anyway, it was easy and really didn't add that much time.

I have my North Carolina focus fabric and will probably work on that set this weekend. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Attention swap partners! My blog and flickr have spoilers! 
http://audreypawdrey.blogspot.com
chinarockfishakm

« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2008 03:34:44 PM »

I started my Maine blocks. They are kind of bright and busy but theyre cute anyways. The background is kinda brighter in color than the focus. Oh well. At least its the right size this time around.

I also sewed and cut the corners off and they end up being about 1.5 inches. They might be interesting to sneak into my postage stamp quilt.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008 03:53:16 PM by chinarockfishakm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tori Spelling Shares Tasty Halloween Craft Ideas
How to Make Paper Mache
How to Make Soap
How to Make a Boutonniere
How to Make Dyed Easter Eggs
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...