A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
717 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2008 What do I make for... thread.  (Read 29362 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cfbandit

Rock on with your bad self, Penny!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #150 on: December 02, 2008 09:09:26 PM »

I need help with some ideas for what to make for my sister, Dad & Mum, please  Cheesy. My sister is really into live music, she works in fashion and has a really quirky style. I just have no ideas of what to make her. We're all making handmade gifts this year, and she is really creative, so I have to think hard.

I think I've already mentioned about my Mum, she just got back into knitting and she has quite a lot of time for that. She also loves baking and gardening.

For my Dad, he's an engineer, and he loves gadgets and cooking. I was thinking of making a gift basket type thing, with some small nifty gadgets, but I'm not sure what else to put in there?

I'm a crochet newb, so I could do something that involved that. I can hand sew and cross stitch quite well, and I've got a sewing machine, but I'm not too confident on it yet. I can also do paper crafts and jewellery making, but me, my sister and Mum are sensitive to cheap metals. :/ 

Please help!  Smiley

Dad - make him a cookbook of interesting technical recipes?

Mom - take some knitting needles and do some interesting tips. I've seen clay ones and papercrafted ones that are really cute. You could make your mom think of you each time she knits!  Wink

Sis - make her a cowl or neckwarmer out of some interesting varigated yarn. They're at the height of fashion this year, and there's a lot she can do with them to make them unique right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog: http://craftingyoohooville.blogspot.com
My Wist: http://www.wists.com/cfbandit

Ravelry: cfbandit

Member of the Al-ette Fan Club
ica171
« Reply #151 on: December 07, 2008 09:55:52 AM »

After thinking I had everything figured out, I'm now stuck again, this time on my baby niece.  She will be around two months old at Christmas.  Originally my plan was to make her and her 4-year-old sister matching tutus.  I know her sister will love hers, and I knew that the baby would not really get much use out of hers unless a) my sister puts her in it to get her picture taken, or b) my sister actually saves a gift I make and lets her play with it when she's older.  But my mom doesn't think I should give her a gift that would basically be useless for the time being, or useful once for pictures or whatever.  Although she suggested not getting her anything then, so I don't know if I should be listening to her.  Grin

I thought about knitting her a hat, but I've never seen her in a hat except when she was in the hospital, and I've never knitted a hat or used dpns, so I don't think two and a half weeks before Christmas is really the time to start.  Other ideas I had were a pink teddy bear or other pink stuffed animal, which will probably also be of little use and will take longer than the tutu, which I can do in an hour or so and already have the materials for.  My mom also suggested just going and buying her a sleeper, which will cost less than $10, but this is a kid I don't *have* to get a gift for, and since her mother hates homemade gifts so much I'm kind of stuck on doing it that way.  I'm mean like that.  Cheesy 

Anyway, any suggestions?  Or should I just stick with my original plan?   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smuckers9
artist and a cat.

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 07, 2008 10:08:14 AM »

i think a tutu is a cute idea for a photo shoot!
they would be treasured pictures for years to come!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ica171
« Reply #153 on: December 07, 2008 10:08:48 AM »

So I have also just started realizing today that I need to get started on crafting! (oops...)

I have ideas for some people, but these I'm asking for, I'm pretty clueless. The ironic part about it is that all of these people I'm having such trouble with... they're the ones I'm closest too! hm.

Best friend: We've been best friends for... three years. She's a sophomore in college. We really haven't been THAT close these past few months, since not only does she not reside here in town anymore, but now her family who she stays with during breaks has also moved away to another town. It makes it harder to see each other, but we still text each other/talk on facebook/write a lot. She's still sort of undecided with her major but leaning towards graphic/advertisement design/communications/something along that. She loves to draw and read, though she doesn't have much time to read anymore with college. I want to get something that's going to be useful and meaningful... I know I'm doing some marble magnets, because she saw some that I was making before and she loved them, but I definitely want to give her more than that. I also want to make a mixed cd, but I really am not good at making good mixes AT ALL. I'm not good at the whole flowing thing.

Really good/close penpal: She's a senior in high school like me, and really into photography. She's always talking about how she could spend her whole day in the dark room. I have no experience with dark room photography, but I was maybe thinking I could do something with that? Like an accessory or holder or something. Maybe some of you have dark room photography experience and would have suggestions? (I can crochet, and sew non-complicated things. [Smiley Or maybe not, it may not be a good idea. Or even some cool thing I could do for a display for her photos after she develops them, but I am shipping this package across the U.S. so it may not be do-able. I'm also making her a crochet hat, the kind with the ear flaps? I just have to find a good pattern to use. The last time I tried to make one, the ear flaps weren't at the ears, like they were too far forward. I also want to do a mixed cd for her, but you know...

Two other past penpals: We've lost contact through writing since the summer, but I miss them and we were pretty close. We still talk through texting and online occasionally. One is a senior in high school, the other is a freshman in college. They both love reading and writing, and music. Again, also mixed cd's but I fail.

Little cousin: He's four, and my favorite kid ever. (Thanksgiving helped that a lot, though he was already my favorite - I walked up on the porch once I arrived at my grandmother's house and he was sitting on the porch waiting for me. He patted the seat next to him and said "Sit down and talk for a while, you're my favorite!") I have NO CLUE what to make him this year. He's into everything, it changes from day to day with his mood. I already made him a no-sew fleece blanket, but he was just a year old, and he wanted to take it around everywhere. So I'm thinking I may make another one, since he has outgrown/lost the old one. But again, I want to make him more than just that... Does anyone else have a four year old boy on their to-craft-for list? If so, what are you doing for him?

Thanks in advance for all of the help, and sorry this was so long!

For all these, are you wanting to do crafted things, or are purchased or partially purchased things OK?  For instance, for your best friend, if you have a Waldenbooks nearby they used to have those large blank drawing books on sale all the time.  

For your penpal, maybe look online for some mixed CD playlists to get ideas from.  Then you can buy a little jewel case and personalize a CD cover for her.  The only other thing I can think of making would be like a portfolio folder, but I think it might get a little complicated.  Maybe Google photography accessories and see if anything comes up.  Does she use little canisters of film?  One of those bullet belts that you wear across your chest for film canisters would be funny and cute.

For the other penpals, maybe journals...you could personalize them somehow, or make reusable fabric covers for standard notebooks.  I think there are tutorials on Craftster for them.

For your cousin...I have a four year old and the things I'm making for him are flannel pajama pants, a bleach-stenciled T-shirt and monster slippers.  If you could take your cousin to the fabric store before Christmas and let him pick out his own fabric he'd probably get even more excited about it.  Flannel pajama pants are pretty easy to make, there's probably a tutorial on here, or this is what I plan on using: http://handyprojects.blogspot.com/2005/04/how-to-make-easy-kids-pants.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunnicula
« Reply #154 on: December 07, 2008 04:48:11 PM »

I've posted this in another thread, but I could really use all of the help that I can get...

As usual, I am having trouble coming up with handmade gift ideas for my dad.

Here is some information about him:

-recently retired from the military (as in this month) to accept a civilian position in IT (he has been doing IT work with the military for the past few years and he loves it)

-loves to tinker with computers

-likes experimenting with Linux and slagging Microsoft

-enjoys the "Wheel of Time" series by Robert Jordan and pretty much any fantasy book with dragons

-likes bathroom humour

-loves talking about and showing off his car

-has a bar in his house (and for a number of years, I game him beer steins as gifts)

-has a tendency to not use anything that he is given (or at least, this is my perception)

I'm also having some difficulty with my brother who:

-is 24

-recently got married

-works a lot (he has two jobs and is training to be a volunteer firefighter)

-is always looking for new ways to make money

-owns his own house (and is always tinkering with it inside and out)

-loves Will Farrell

My Crafting Abilities:

I have very basic, beginner crafting skills. I:

-have a sewing machine and am just learning how to use it. I have so far made coasters, napkins, a tote bag (though I accidentally sewed the handles inside of the lining - I blame the cryptic pattern instructions), and an Artsy Clutch (all from Bend the Rules Sewing).

-enjoy paper crafting and have lots of decorative paper, cardstock, decorative scissors, some punches, ribbon and other embellishments, lots of types of glue, and Mod Podge (which I have never used).

-have access to a computer and photoshop

-have a 1.25" button maker

-have embroidery materials, but have yet to try to embroider

-have knitting materials, but have not finished learning to knit

-have acrylic paint and brushes, but don't know how to paint (though I'm sure that I could manage painting big, solid colours)

-have square and heart-shaped Christmas balls (the kind with the removable cap)

-have lots of styrofoam balls

-have Perler beads and 4 large, square inter-locking pegboards

-am not opposed to picking up more supplies, if needed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
b2j2fitz
Vibrant Designs

...is striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: December 07, 2008 07:27:10 PM »

ica171

I have a 15 month old daughter and a 13 month old niece.  I love crafting...however I would probably say as a parent of a 2 month old girl, cause that was me last Christmas, I would not have used the tu tu for a while.  Maybe you could make your niece a felt baby name book.  I've seen a few done on craftster and they are really cute.  If you haven't done it yet, you could make some things that would be useful to mom since baby is so young yet.  Maybe burp cloths, flannel blanket, diaper bag...or if you want to do a toy, you can make stuffed/material cubes/blocks.  Those are cute. ( I have a tu tu on my list for next year when my daughter is 2 yrs. old. )  Hope this helps.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

shaoono
Shantastic!

Shantastic!=)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: December 07, 2008 08:33:32 PM »

ahh. I just sat and went through all 16 pages and came up with about a million ideas.
Thought I still kinda am lost. So I'll post my list hoping for some help.

I'm pretty good with all kinds of crafts. I can paint and draw decently, I can make anything computerwise... photoedited photography, videos, etc. and I can sew but not very great.  I'm not a fan of knitting though.

soooo here's my list with a little info on all of them. I live with my mothers family and Christmas has been rough on us the past few years. We've lost my mom grandfather and uncle. So I like to try to give them things to make the holidays special and still family oriented. Although I am a senior in highschool this year and will be leaving for college in the spring I want to make them things they will keep and not forget me by even though I will be home to bug them frequently.

My Grandma - I live with her and she has raised me pretty much my whole life, she if very crafty though and likes to criticize things not in a horrible way but in a way that almost makes you afraid to make her anything. She's good at literally everything she does.  she makes porcelain dolls there clothes and she paints sews cooks pretty much everything so that takes away a lot. She does a lot for me though so I want to make her something special. Last year I made her a quilt from my paps old shirts. This brought the whole room to tears but she absolutely loved it so I don't know how to top it this year?

My Aunt- She's like a mother to me, although we have our fights we are still close. She on the other hand isn't so crafty but loves crazy jokes and such. She loves pretty much everything I make her so she shouldn't be hard to satisfy but doesn't help me with ideas much. Last year I made her a thing for her wall that said family with poems on it. Along with a pillow made from the scraps i had left from the quilt of my paps shirts. Loved that as well, year before I gave her a scrapbook of my cousin. I already made her and my uncle a joint present of a big painting of my little cousin but I like to make them separate things?

My Uncle - part of the joint painting from above. But I really like to pick on him for Christmas because his birthday is Christmas as well and he always get jipped on gifts. Last year was the big old 50 and i made him a crown to wear that said " I'm and old fart"  me and him have kind of a joking relationship because he likes to pick on me just as much him. and theres always a decorated coffee mug under the tree for him from me but my aunt yelled and said I filled up her cabinets and to not make him one this year so that kinda puts me in the hole for my usual gift.

My brother and cousin [ 10 and 8]
- they are both crazy little boys and will fight over anything i give them so it should be kinda the same. They both are into transformers and any kind of game you can put in a DS or PS2.  I was thinking comfy blankets with print of transformers or something but I have a feeling they wont be thrilled with just blankets?

My besties- We have been fighting lately but none the less I love them.
One is a very picky veggie who is also into the whole Green scene and loves to read and is into harry potter and other things like that The other loves muffins and cupcakes and dragonflies.
They are rather weird but I love them and we all became best friends through harry potter [ yes little dorks we were years ago lol reading brings the oddest people together] so I like to through in little harry potter things that not many people that aren't into it would get?

Now my boyfriend and his best friend that is also one of mine-  They are extremely hard. They are both Addicted to wrestling pro and backyard. They make they re own videos... or well record them.... I tried to get our friend to give me the tapes to edit them both videos for Christmas because I'm kinda the computer geek of the crew but I know he wont get them to me in time obviously.

So what do i makes/ get for two boys that are obsessed with wrestling?

my boyfriend I would like to make.get more for obviously... He is also a SPORTS FREAK he lives and breaths it...its almost all I hear about. I know absolutely NOTHING about sports though so that makes me even more clueless.
He collects all those little weird helmets and things that look like toys so I might pick up some of them but wanted to make him sometime special to. Idk why he has to be so complicated.

This is really wordy but anyone that took the time to read it all I would LOVE ALL ideas.

I'm a pretty fast crafter so I'm up for anything at this point.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strawberryh

Jesus save me from your followers

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2008 09:50:24 AM »

Dad Gifts

-recently retired from the military (as in this month) to accept a civilian position in IT (he has been doing IT work with the military for the past few years and he loves it)

-loves to tinker with computers

-likes experimenting with Linux and slagging Microsoft

-enjoys the "Wheel of Time" series by Robert Jordan and pretty much any fantasy book with dragons

-likes bathroom humour

-loves talking about and showing off his car

-has a bar in his house (and for a number of years, I game him beer steins as gifts)

-has a tendency to not use anything that he is given (or at least, this is my perception)

I'm also having some difficulty with my brother who:

-is 24

-recently got married

-works a lot (he has two jobs and is training to be a volunteer firefighter)

-is always looking for new ways to make money

-owns his own house (and is always tinkering with it inside and out)

-loves Will Farrell

My Crafting Abilities:

I have very basic, beginner crafting skills. I:

-have a sewing machine and am just learning how to use it. I have so far made coasters, napkins, a tote bag (though I accidentally sewed the handles inside of the lining - I blame the cryptic pattern instructions), and an Artsy Clutch (all from Bend the Rules Sewing).

-enjoy paper crafting and have lots of decorative paper, cardstock, decorative scissors, some punches, ribbon and other embellishments, lots of types of glue, and Mod Podge (which I have never used).

-have access to a computer and photoshop

-have a 1.25" button maker

-have embroidery materials, but have yet to try to embroider

-have knitting materials, but have not finished learning to knit

-have acrylic paint and brushes, but don't know how to paint (though I'm sure that I could manage painting big, solid colours)

-have square and heart-shaped Christmas balls (the kind with the removable cap)

-have lots of styrofoam balls

-have Perler beads and 4 large, square inter-locking pegboards

-am not opposed to picking up more supplies, if needed

[/quote]

Military shadow box, Lenux penguin, a cross stiched or embroiderd funny quote for the bathroom; like
1.How long a minute is depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on
2.If I want to be alone, some place I can write, I can read, I can pray, I can cry, I can do whatever I want - I go to the bathroom.
3.The only time the world beats a path to your door is if you're in the bathroom
4.Anything dropped in the bathroom falls in the toilet
5. 'Ignorance is bliss.' and right underneath it... 'I don't know what this means but I'm happy.'

Buy a clock kit and make him a funny or car clock for his bar
Brother a funny quote framed for him to hang in the garage or the basement, or some were. you find pages of quotes by looking on Google.
or make him a scarf with polar fleece with two fire axes on it ( you can sew down the axes with the embroidery thread.
Just a few Ideas But your Dad sounds like my husband. (except the car thing)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

malisha

♫ If i ever lose my knees... i wont have 2 beg ♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: December 08, 2008 10:31:14 AM »

shaoono:
my situation is kind of ... really alike to yours! though my boyfriend is not as obsessed with wrestling as he is with tennis, but he is addict to all sports! and i hate them!! the first years i didnt know what to do for him... but... well... i hope it works for you this are the things i've made for him

i gave him lots of little gifts and wrapped in a tennis ball (it was made with papier mache, i wrapped a basket ball in plastic and then continued with the papier mache technique and finally i split it in half, put the gifts inside and ... sewed the back, and put a button in the front so he could open and close it)
i made a plushie of his favorite soccer's team pet (you could make a plushie of a little wrestling man)
ball pillows (tennis ball, soccer, football, golf, basketball)
a clock that had instead of the numbers, pictures....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live in mexico, I can send loads of mexican stuff ...I'd swap for crafting supplies and scrapbooking supplies (PM if interested)

"Only when the last tree has been cut, and the last fish has been killed, then mankind will understand that money can't be eaten"

http://www.wists.com/malisha
malisha

♫ If i ever lose my knees... i wont have 2 beg ♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: December 08, 2008 10:57:28 AM »

ok! now I need help!

I have to give a very good gift for this guy. He's been so supportive with me, he has helped me beyond i thought... but he's the most difficult person to give a gift to.... he is kind of my uncle... (you know, those family friends that become so close that they become part of your family) I've got the gifts for all his family but not for him.

he is... kind of rich, so he has everything he wants to buy (his own christmas gifts, for himself, are around 5 thousand dollars... so you can figure out... no bought gifts...besides, my budget goes around... 10 dollars the most) he once gave me an ipod just because i made him a stuffed bear wearing the t shirt of his fav soccer team, so i need to give him something really special!!! but my head is empty of ideas....

he loves music in general (he has a room full of cds of all stiles, all kind of music)
alcohol! jajaj! his bar is full of diferent and weird wine and other drinks from all around the world
he loves sports (i've seen him watch baseball and football)
he is the director of bimbo company (a bread company) so he's like the typical business man
i want to give him something usefull rather than something.... just cute
he loves barbeque...
i cannot give him candies or anything like that because ... he's trying to lose weight
he travels a lot

the only thing i've planned for him...is a mustachoed man pillow that looks a lot like him... because i'm always trying to make him laugh... but that is the only unusfull thing that i'm planing to give him...
heeeelp!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live in mexico, I can send loads of mexican stuff ...I'd swap for crafting supplies and scrapbooking supplies (PM if interested)

"Only when the last tree has been cut, and the last fish has been killed, then mankind will understand that money can't be eaten"

http://www.wists.com/malisha
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Morrison Hotel Photo Gallery Opens in Los Angeles
The New Zealand Night Sky Over Lake Tekapo
How to Take Photos of Food
How to Take Photos of Christmas Lights
How to Take Great Pictures of Cats
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...