A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,574
Currently Running With Scissors:
571 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2008 What do I make for... thread.  (Read 31152 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Smuckers9
artist and a cat.

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2008 03:59:16 PM »

Hello,

This is my first post as a member! This thread is fantastic and I hope someone can help me with my present!

I have a few ideas for you redheadedrowdy, but they're not very good - for your stepdad, does he have a workshop? Because you could make him a wee sign that says 'John's Workshop' or something, and decorate it... or my father likes to collect coins and little things like that and put them in an old type drawer on the wall, you could get him one and a few trinkets to start him off. For your dad (he sounds like my dad!) how about towels for the gym with an embroidered design in the corner, or sweatbands or anything like that?

I really need some help for what to craft for my little brother. He's 14:

-he's quite nerdy - socks and sandals sort of thing
-doesn't like most foods (not even lollies!), doesn't eat a lot at all (so i'd have to give him something that he could save for AGES and eat really slowly)
-doesn't like ornaments, doesn't appreciate art
-hates clothing
-hates girls!
-but LOVES inventing, like making things out of lego and magnets
-likes soccer (doesn't like a lot of sports though)
-likes computer games/playstation
-plays piano and quite smart but doesn't like reading

I know it's difficult but if anyone has an idea, that would be great. Thank you!

i know you said he doesn't like clothing but...
stenciled t-shirts are always a good idea..
you can personalize them to fit what he likes, either a image or text...

or a video game holder i am making my little sister a travel holder for her Nintendo DS and games for when she wants to bring them to a friends house or on a trip...you could do the same for his games...
not sure what else though...
Here's a question....
I recently started seeing this guy who is a graphic designer/animator.. but he is really passionate about sculpting and he is amazing at it. He knows that I like to craft a lot of my Christmas gifts and even though he might not be expecting one from me, I'm definitely making him something!

Anyone have any ideas for what I could make him?

I feel like this season has really snuck up on me this year and I'm ill-prepared! For the rest of my family, I'll likely continue my tradition of witty hand-painted tees and other assorted crafts but I think I need some fresh ideas.

My brother is a photographer, his girlfriend is in nursing school and loves to embroider/sew.
My mom loves all crafts in general... she is generally easy to figure out.
My stepdad is one of those people who can fix anything.
My dad loves tennis, yoga and working out.
My stepsister is also in nursing school.. she loves pictures, pink,  her dog. And loves her husband. He's really into Superman, but I already made him a shirt last year.

Thank you to anyone who has any ideas :-D
for your stepsister- you could make her a picture frame for her and her dog...i've seen some where they have a picture of the dog and then on the other side of the frame they have a plaster mold of the dogs paw or a stamped imaged of the dogs paw.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jvp2790
« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2008 04:31:23 PM »

Thanks for your advice!
These are really good ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mochaseptember
« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2008 10:51:34 PM »

*sigh* now it's getting really late.  Sad ok, this year i went for half bought gifts, half crafted.  Tongue i have to craft for my mum (41), dad (39) and brother (10). my mother loves purses (though they must be HUGE to fit all her junk!  Cheesy), fave colour red, likes music like cliff richard, andy gibb, duran duran and andrea bocelli  Tongue my dad: LOVES COMPUTERS. gadgets like xbox computers etc etc. meh. he likes geeky things like doctor who (which i also like Smiley) and binary code  Huh my brother plays bass guitar, loves the xbox 360, likes WWE wrestling etc. NO idea what to make any of them lol! Prob make my mummy a purse i spose. Good luck with all ur crafty christmas adventures everyone!  Grin Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xx_Kellybean
« Reply #113 on: November 20, 2008 08:48:35 AM »

*sigh* now it's getting really late.  Sad ok, this year i went for half bought gifts, half crafted.  Tongue i have to craft for my mum (41), dad (39) and brother (10). my mother loves purses (though they must be HUGE to fit all her junk!  Cheesy), fave colour red, likes music like cliff richard, andy gibb, duran duran and andrea bocelli  Tongue my dad: LOVES COMPUTERS. gadgets like xbox computers etc etc. meh. he likes geeky things like doctor who (which i also like Smiley) and binary code  Huh my brother plays bass guitar, loves the xbox 360, likes WWE wrestling etc. NO idea what to make any of them lol! Prob make my mummy a purse i spose. Good luck with all ur crafty christmas adventures everyone!  Grin Grin Grin Grin

you could make your father a binary code scarf, although if you started it now, i don't think you could get it done on time unless you are an excellent super fast knitter.

as for your brother, you could make him guitar pick coasters out of resin, or pillows that look like the xbox 360 controller.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redheadedrowdy
« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2008 10:53:26 AM »

Hello,

This is my first post as a member! This thread is fantastic and I hope someone can help me with my present!

I have a few ideas for you redheadedrowdy, but they're not very good - for your stepdad, does he have a workshop? Because you could make him a wee sign that says 'John's Workshop' or something, and decorate it... or my father likes to collect coins and little things like that and put them in an old type drawer on the wall, you could get him one and a few trinkets to start him off. For your dad (he sounds like my dad!) how about towels for the gym with an embroidered design in the corner, or sweatbands or anything like that?

-doesn't like most foods (not even lollies!), doesn't eat a lot at all (so i'd have to give him something that he could save for AGES and eat really slowly)
-hates clothing
-hates girls!

I know it's difficult but if anyone has an idea, that would be great. Thank you!

Thank you so much for the ideas! The weird thing is, I was going to make my stepdad a sign like that last year and I never got around to it! I was going to get a piece of metal and hammer some holes to spell out "Dave's Place". Great minds think alike!

I have a few ideas for your brother.. not sure if they'll work.. but here goes..
You could make or decorate a box/tin to keep all of his inventing materials in. Or you could make/decorate a binder for any loose sheet music that he has so he can keep it all together at the piano. Or maybe a bag for his piano books? I used to have one of those.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BadWolf
« Reply #115 on: November 20, 2008 01:47:18 PM »

If your brother doesn't have one already, a guitar stand. They're great. All the bass players and guitar players I know use one for shows when they switch instruments or just in their room. Or get an strap for his bass and embroider it yourself or stencil it. That would bad ass!

How about binary code coasters for your dad? A nerdy stenciled tshirt?

and for your mommmmm, how about a big red purse with an andrea bocelli lyric embroidered on it maybe in a darker or lighter red than the fabric, so it'd be subtle? Hmm...Or a velvety scarf made from strips of fabric with a lyric embroidered into that. Oh, that'd be so soft....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sawubona
« Reply #116 on: November 20, 2008 04:02:26 PM »

Hey everyone, thanks so much for the fantastic ideas, now I'm just trying to decide which one to pick! I know he'd love a playstation chair, but I'm probably not skilled enough to make it, so I think I'll do a stencilled t-shirt and a decorated binder for his piano stuff. redheadedrowdy, you're welcome and thank you for your help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherylzyx
« Reply #117 on: November 21, 2008 02:30:09 PM »

I've made my younger relatives pillow cases.  I used them to 'wrap' their gifts.  They loved them and used them for years.  They would always ask there mom to use the "Cheryl pillowcases".  I went to a fabric store and bought just enough of a cute material to make the pillow cases so it was pretty inexpensive.  I picked out a pattern they would like - construction trucks for one, moon and stars for another.  There are all kinds of novelty prints available.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
b2j2fitz
Vibrant Designs

...is striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: November 22, 2008 06:06:58 PM »

Shellbell

I realize I am too late for your Nov. 17 deadline, but for V-day last year, I got this idea off craftster.  Buy a rubix cube and sticker paper and print mini pictures for each little square.  I did the same picture for a whole side.  Anyway, my hubby loved it and everyone who has seen it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strawberryh

Jesus save me from your followers

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #119 on: November 23, 2008 09:46:46 PM »

-hates clothing
-hates girls!

If he Likes D&D make his felt dice in all the different styles and call them hit dies cause he can throw them. Desk organizers for his games out of legos.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author Jason Mattera on Crapitalism in Government
Author Jason Mattera on Crapitalism
Author Jason Mattera Takes on Harry Reid, Maxine Waters, and Greg Meeks
How the Roosevelts Celebrated Thanksgiving
How to Tackle the Holidays Like a Boss
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...