A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
657 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2008 What do I make for... thread.  (Read 29098 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Smuckers9
artist and a cat.

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2008 07:10:08 PM »

I'm stuck for my grandparents! I'd love to make them a joint gift, but I feel that it's to hard to think of, so I'm going to do seperate ones.

Grandpa: loves to work with his hands. builds model planes and flies them, as well as builds clocks.

Grandma: cooks (not to much though) and she always plays bridge with her lady friends.

thanks!

I am giving my grandparents some photography for there gift this year...
You could do something like that or some kind of framed artwork.
An apron from your grandma for the cooking she does or a nice recipe box/book to store her favorite recipes in.
I'm not sure for your grandpa though...i was thinking of somesort of fingerless gloves so he could still build without his hands getting chilly, not sure if it would be something he would use though...considerin g i dont know him Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
withhopes
« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2008 09:19:20 PM »

thanks guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #102 on: November 17, 2008 05:10:12 AM »

My DH is USCG and was on the last Aleutian Island for a year... I traced our kids onto a piece of butcher paper and had them decorate them. It really meant a lot to him. You could probably trace yourself onto paper. The other idea I've heard from some people is to trace yourself onto a fitted sheet and then decorate it so he could be close to you when he sleeps - probably the loneliest part of the day - if you didn't want to use a sheet, you could decorate a pillowcase. They wouldn't take up much room and would mean a lot. Just a warning - when DS#2 went into a residential facility, we had people decorate squares with fabric markers and made them into a quilt. That was the end of January and by now none of the drawings are still there. We kept reminding both him and ourselves that it doesn't matter if the pictures are gone, the thoughts are all still there.
Selkie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
Tessie
« Reply #103 on: November 17, 2008 05:28:08 AM »

HELP ME WITH....
Teachers(the ones i like):Mugs filled with stuff, but I'm not sure what to put in them, for sure those hotchocolate/marshmallow kit thingys but what else is good?Huh?
Brother: NO IDEA... he's plays baseball, but he's been getting into playing guitar.. i honestly have no idea... HELP PLEASE!  Grin
BFF:she's getting into saving the world lol, but i was thinking of making her a "save the world kit" with like reusable grocery bag, ...but i don't know waht else to put in it
Friend1:she's an indie rockish person, I was thinking of getting her 80's style sunglasses, and like a small mod-ish clutch/wallet but do you know any tutorials for the clutch/wallet?

Plus i wanted to bring some food goodies just to hand out, any ideas?
I'm already planning on gingerbread men, but anything else that's quick, tasty, & loved by all?

Another gift idea for your brother would be guitar strings.

As for your BFF, grocery bags for sure ! Then if you make the bags out of recycled materials you're going even greener!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redheadedrowdy
« Reply #104 on: November 17, 2008 09:23:51 AM »

Here's a question....
I recently started seeing this guy who is a graphic designer/animator.. but he is really passionate about sculpting and he is amazing at it. He knows that I like to craft a lot of my Christmas gifts and even though he might not be expecting one from me, I'm definitely making him something!

Anyone have any ideas for what I could make him?

I feel like this season has really snuck up on me this year and I'm ill-prepared! For the rest of my family, I'll likely continue my tradition of witty hand-painted tees and other assorted crafts but I think I need some fresh ideas.

My brother is a photographer, his girlfriend is in nursing school and loves to embroider/sew.
My mom loves all crafts in general... she is generally easy to figure out.
My stepdad is one of those people who can fix anything.
My dad loves tennis, yoga and working out.
My stepsister is also in nursing school.. she loves pictures, pink,  her dog. And loves her husband. He's really into Superman, but I already made him a shirt last year.

Thank you to anyone who has any ideas :-D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008 09:28:00 AM by redheadedrowdy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bastet
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2008 04:19:18 AM »

-cookies in a jar
-cake in a jar
-fridge-magnets
all those crafts are simple and cheap, but not very sentimental.

How about a cushion with a picture of you or a patchwork-cushion about you and your live. Your friends could hold on that cushion when you are far away. They could even shed some tears on the cushion while missing you.
You could make the fridge-magnets wirh a photo of you as well. Or design some yourself with shrinky-dinks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kstaron
« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2008 05:57:57 AM »

Decorate a frame and put in a picture of you and the recipient.

Anything with pictures is very sentimental from a phot magnet to a scrapbook. They go over well.

If you like to write or draw frame a peopm or picture you made, or write down a good memory of them and frame it (especialy good if you can add a little momento type thing like a concert ticket stub, a pressed flower, a seashell or something else that is linked to the memory.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sawubona
« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2008 01:40:10 PM »

Hello,

This is my first post as a member! This thread is fantastic and I hope someone can help me with my present!

I have a few ideas for you redheadedrowdy, but they're not very good - for your stepdad, does he have a workshop? Because you could make him a wee sign that says 'John's Workshop' or something, and decorate it... or my father likes to collect coins and little things like that and put them in an old type drawer on the wall, you could get him one and a few trinkets to start him off. For your dad (he sounds like my dad!) how about towels for the gym with an embroidered design in the corner, or sweatbands or anything like that?

I really need some help for what to craft for my little brother. He's 14:

-he's quite nerdy - socks and sandals sort of thing
-doesn't like most foods (not even lollies!), doesn't eat a lot at all (so i'd have to give him something that he could save for AGES and eat really slowly)
-doesn't like ornaments, doesn't appreciate art
-hates clothing
-hates girls!
-but LOVES inventing, like making things out of lego and magnets
-likes soccer (doesn't like a lot of sports though)
-likes computer games/playstation
-plays piano and quite smart but doesn't like reading

I know it's difficult but if anyone has an idea, that would be great. Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tessie
« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2008 01:49:19 PM »

Sawubona, how about making him a bean bag chair to kick back and play his Playstation in?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lollipop
« Reply #109 on: November 19, 2008 02:25:49 PM »

My sister:  a chest of round-the-world goodies (she's seriously bummed that she's a poor college student and can't afford to travel around the world yet).  I was thinking of including:  handmade or organic candle, exotic earrings or pendant, a book or DVD about some cool, far-off place, possibly a Buddha print from a project I did last year . . . Anything else y'all can think of for the wannabe-traveler?

Your sister sounds like me. =) I realize I'm a little late replying to this, but oh well. The great thing about travel stuff is that you can pretty much take anything and just apply the global theme... I have a friend in Australia who gave me a magnet of the Australian flag, and I love it...

- you could probably do a set of flags, or other images (7 wonders of the world or something) and make shrinkydink magnets or something...
- a framed old-world map
- travel brochures, maps, postcards
- The Travel Book, by lonelyplanet. It's like $30, but it's the best book EVER. It has a one-page spread for every country in the world, with gorgeous photographs...
- a "travel" journal... you could decoupage it with stamps and whatnot
- if she reads, a travelogue
- wooden jewelry always looks global
- what about a foreign film with subtitles? "Chasing Papi" is latino-ish... I haven't really seen many foreign films for more suggestions, haha, but you can look online.
- I saw an idea on here for packaging to do like brown paper, with string, and big, fake stamps/tags... or you could do an airmail theme of red, white, and blue, or whatnot...
- anything with words in another language...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If adventures do not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad.
-Jane Austen
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Prom Hairstyles
How to Straighten Black Hair
How to Take Out a Dreadlock
How to Do Kinky Twist Braids
How to Keep Long Hair Tangle Free
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...