A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,034
Currently Running With Scissors:
610 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: slightly scary Butterfly Doll  (Read 3431 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lmcbride
It's business time.

My place is usually tidier than this.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: June 27, 2008 07:32:05 PM »

Here is one of the tiny art dolls I made for the "dotee doll" swap that is currently going on.  But when she was finished I thought she looked borderline creepy and wasn't sure if any of my swap partners would like it, so I decided to keep her.  She has since grown on me and I am glad I have her.  To me she looks like a sort of wise old lady, or maybe a ghost butterfly or maybe just a slightly eerie little doll having a strange hair day.. Wink

These little dolls are really fun to make and very addictive too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Get rid of all your boring, tiresome friends. Make friends with cabaret stars, exotic dancers, and down-on-their-luck royality instead." Jonathan Adler
woobie
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008 07:55:17 PM »

She's wonderful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008 08:05:46 PM »

I don't think she is creepy at all! She is beautiful.  Dotees rock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
serendipity_sarah
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008 08:58:37 PM »

I don't think she's scary at all.  You did a beautiful job on her!  I love the butterfly wings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BertaBerta
Jewelry, Fiber, and Yarns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008 10:28:27 PM »

I think she's beautiful, and not really creepy at all.

All your dolls have been so lovely - I'm really glad to have you in the swap.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bold, One of a Kind Jewelry, Fiber, and Yarns: bertaberta.etsy.com
Lmcbride
It's business time.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008 03:48:06 AM »

Well, that just shows how much I know about "creepy", eh? Cheesy

The funny thing is, I really *want* to be able to make creepy-cute or creepy beautiful dolls, you know the ones that are kind of dark or strange looking but intriguing at the same time....

I hope hope hope I can do the additional dottee doll swaps because I'm determined to get the hang of it and reach my creepy doll making goal, as well as continue to build up my tribe of dolls from around the world. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Get rid of all your boring, tiresome friends. Make friends with cabaret stars, exotic dancers, and down-on-their-luck royality instead." Jonathan Adler
sparrowlegs
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008 04:08:19 AM »

I love it, love the detail, and its slight creepyness, I think its the face, I still love it! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am not a sheep, I dont follow....
AND please be aware, I am in England, so my spellings and sayings may seem a lil bit weird lol
shaun.reilly
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008 05:40:00 AM »

She's Beautiful, I'd be well impressed to make a doll come out looking like her.  As it is, my creations are always slightly funny-looking... hmm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step one:  Let good thoughts be your sword and sheild.
Asad
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008 07:04:25 AM »

OMG!!!! You have done an excellent work!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SunflowerSmiles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008 08:40:46 AM »

is this an ongoing swap???  I want to do this!  these look sooo fun...Lmcbride you have inspired me!!!   I wanna play!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
Lmcbride
It's business time.

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008 10:01:12 AM »

Below is the original thread, which I think should have a link in it to the gallery, and I *think* signups for round 2 will start in early July.  Sorry I can't be more specific, I'm a little too scattered to do the proper searching but this should help you get started.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=248305.110
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewSillyMom

Dogs have owners...cats have staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008 09:21:56 AM »

I think her face has a wistful look...like she's pondering something wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.BlackbirdStudio.etsy.com')

*Check out my new blog I started with my little girl featuring handmade cuteness, vintage, retro..finds!  You'll see our fave Etsy sellers there Smiley
http://marleyandmom.blogspot.com/
DancinInTheDark
Klutzy Paparazzi! ;]

Yeah, Train rocks. Best band ever!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008 07:06:43 PM »

I like her. Smiley Are her wings made with shrinky dink stuff?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Me + Craftster = LOVE. Wink
Hey soul sister, ain't that Mister Mister playin' on the stereo, radio? -Train
http://prodegebanners.sitegrip.com/images/swagbucks-173x63Alt1.jpg
Lmcbride
It's business time.

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008 03:32:17 AM »

No, but I kinda wish they were at this point!  They are made out of clip art printed onto vellum.  They have a beautiful, ethereal quality to them, however in this oppressive humidity we are having here, the wings are all curling backwards into an almost unrecognizable shape.  I may have to iron them out or something. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mr_pringle

I like the sea :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008 06:48:48 PM »

Beautiful, it is a little earie but more in a pans labryinth kinda way, AWeSome D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.\"
Lmcbride
It's business time.

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008 03:52:30 AM »

Now that is about the best complement I could get!  However I can't even take any credit for the face, it's just a push mold clay face.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoanieBeans
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008 09:54:02 PM »

"slightly scary Butterfly Doll" - it is, but in that awesome I want one but. . . I'll put it in a drawer when I go to sleep kind of way!  I have just tonight heard of "Dotee Dolls" and am having a hard time figuring out what they are!!  Have you tried putting your doll in a dry place or maybe even a cooler place to straighten those crinkled wings up?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lmcbride
It's business time.

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008 03:48:49 AM »

You know, I don't call the dolls I make "dotee dolls"....  no offense to the lady named Dottee who has a website and I take it markets them as such, but plenty of other folks have been making teeny dolls for roughly the past 30,000 years or so  Wink -  so the ones I make are actually "Lmcbride dollls", and if you make one it's officially a "Joanie Beans Doll"  Smiley   So, what people are calling "dotee dolls" are just tiny art dolls.   Apparently some of the things that you must have to be a dotee doll are a loop for hanging and be under 5" in length.  I also noticed on the dotee website that most of them don't have arms, so maybe that's another trait specific to the official dotees?  That's all I really know about it...  I always called mine talisman or amulet dolls depending on whether my goal was to make a doll that possesed magical qualities to draw certain things toward me or repel other things away from me.   Smiley

On craftster there is someone named knickertwist I think who has a blog that shows her awesome little spirit dolls, and there is also a voodoo doll craftalong for more examples of the wonderous world of tiny dolls. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoanieBeans
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008 09:52:33 PM »

Ok, then I can get behind these.  I just thought they were creepy armless lil dolls that were hung from things - but if they are talisman dolls or guidance items, I think its very cool!  Did you unwrinkle those lil wings yet?  I might try to make one and see what comes out.
When you say you want them to repel/ attract things, do you add items like herbs or gemstones to them to draw the power - or are you casting small spells over them to give them "power"?  I think it would be neat to have a sage stuffed doll - as I hear sage is a good protections.  However, I'm unsure if its only when the sage is burned that it does its job.
Anyway, I hope I didn't offend you by calling it dotee - and I do really appreciate your explanation!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lmcbride
It's business time.

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008 05:53:02 AM »

No, no, I'm not offended in any way by the concept or title of "dotee dolls"!  I just think a lot of people don't think of them with that name, and I certainly had no idea what a "dotee" was, but then I saw them and realized it was just one more of  many names for "little dolls", whether they be made for art's sake or any other purpose.  I say the more little dolls the merrier, and we can all call them whatever we want!

For me, intention is everything.  When I am making a doll I am thinking, feeling, meditating, on specific things that I want to imbue the doll with - for the butterfly dolls I recently made, I just wanted to send out the beauty and special sense of delight that we feel when we see a butterfly flitting along, but also retain that strange insect quality that they have.  When I make a doll for myself and my intention is to draw or repel something specific, then I also use materials, colors, and other objects that hold personal meaning for me in relation to my intentions.

I haven't used much in the way of gemstones or herbs, but I can see how someone would want to.

From what I can gather from the dotee lady's website, her intention with making and sharing the dolls and encouraging others is just to share happiness amongst everyone, which sounds groovy enough to me. Smiley

The paper wings seem to curl and uncurl with the humidity level, so I'm just watching them do so for the time being. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Carve a Cylon Pumpkin
How to Carve Shrunken Head Apples
How to Carve Wood
How to Buy Quilting Supplies
How to Change Thread When Crocheting
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...