A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial...kind of...for making resin pendants with butterflies inside...  (Read 97162 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , resin , pendant , craftster_best_of_2008 , seal , epoxy , easy_cast  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

conservativchick
« Reply #350 on: September 01, 2009 09:30:57 AM »

Hi I Sew Cute! I just want to say this is a fantabulous tutorial! I just have a few questions and I didn't want to have to read all 35 pages just to fine them *Sheepish grin*  So! Here goes!

1) Would my heart shape ice cube tray from ikea work? It's either rubber or silicone (no idea how to spell that) and it's black...

2) Do you put a little resin in first then the item then more resin? Or is it item, resin or reasin, and then item?

3) If you don't mind me asking, about how much does resin cost (plus the materials you also need?)

4) Does it pay off if I were to sell my creations!? Grin

5) How bad is the smell really? lol! Should I do it out in my garage?  Wink

6) Grrrrr I totally forgot whatt else I was going to ask!

7) Oooh! Now I remember! What are some of the things you can put in them? I'm feeling totally brain dead in craft mode right now!  Wink

Cool Any other random tips are welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BabyDragon

McGee = Probalicious

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 01, 2009 10:12:05 PM »

I think I may just have to try this.  I've seen so much amazing resin jewelry here on Craftster!  I'm totally broke, but heck, that's why they invented 40% off coupons... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hey Griff--Chupathingy!  How 'bout that?" ~~Sarge;Red vs Blue

"I don't participate in shoddy craftsmanship! USE THE STENCIL! DO IT!" ~~Dena;The Guild

Current WIP: Afghan in Homespun's "Gothic" Purple
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #352 on: September 08, 2009 11:06:25 AM »

1) Would my heart shape ice cube tray from ikea work? It's either rubber or silicone (no idea how to spell that) and it's black...
 That should work fine...just be sure to use some 'mold release' spray so the resin doesn't stick too bad!

2) Do you put a little resin in first then the item then more resin? Or is it item, resin or reasin, and then item?
It really depends on what the item is...the more layers you do...the more depth & control you'll have.

3) If you don't mind me asking, about how much does resin cost (plus the materials you also need?)
A small container of the easycast resin will run around $12... that's when those 40% off coupons really save you money. Mold release spray may be between $6 & $9 depending where you get it.

Sure! I think so anyhow!

The smell isn't the problem as much as the actual fumes... I recommend a very well ventillated room...or work outside... & wear a respirator if you're planning on making this a main activity of yours. Hardware stores carry respirators & masks for working with resin. Wear gloves & protect your work surfaces too... be safe!

Just come on back & ask again later! Sorry for the delay in response...I've been offline for a couple weeks!

7) Oooh! Now I remember! What are some of the things you can put in them? I'm feeling totally brain dead in craft mode right now!  Wink
Most anything...try and experiment with various things to see what happens! The best ones are usually the suprises that turn out the coolest! Paper is tricky & needs to be coated. Flowers should be dried first... just try things out!

Dont be afraid to try things...just be sure to keep yourself & your work area protected & have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
conservativchick
« Reply #353 on: September 12, 2009 01:22:20 PM »

That should work fine...just be sure to use some 'mold release' spray so the resin doesn't stick too bad!

It really depends on what the item is...the more layers you do...the more depth & control you'll have.

A small container of the easycast resin will run around $12... that's when those 40% off coupons really save you money. Mold release spray may be between $6 & $9 depending where you get it.

Sure! I think so anyhow!

The smell isn't the problem as much as the actual fumes... I recommend a very well ventillated room...or work outside... & wear a respirator if you're planning on making this a main activity of yours. Hardware stores carry respirators & masks for working with resin. Wear gloves & protect your work surfaces too... be safe!

Just come on back & ask again later! Sorry for the delay in response...I've been offline for a couple weeks!

Most anything...try and experiment with various things to see what happens! The best ones are usually the suprises that turn out the coolest! Paper is tricky & needs to be coated. Flowers should be dried first... just try things out!

Dont be afraid to try things...just be sure to keep yourself & your work area protected & have fun!

Thank you soooo much! I think I'm going to maybe get some this weekend or sometime next week! If I get some I will for SURE try and post pics! Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elegant
« Reply #354 on: October 17, 2009 06:07:04 PM »

I posted last page about my yellow resin, and then didn't look much into the problem as I didn't have time to do any more casting. Now that I'm on vacation I went to cast again, with new clean measuring medicine cups, and realized that it's my hardener that is yellow coming out of the bottle...so again my resin was yellow. My guess is that it is expired? Now it's been too long to take it back to AC Moore, but I emailed the company and complained, maybe they'll give me something free. And now I know to check the box to see if it's yellow before I waste money on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweetcharmz
« Reply #355 on: October 18, 2009 10:10:48 PM »

What a nifty tutorial, thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute

« Reply #356 on: October 19, 2009 01:23:19 PM »

I posted last page about my yellow resin, and then didn't look much into the problem as I didn't have time to do any more casting. Now that I'm on vacation I went to cast again, with new clean measuring medicine cups, and realized that it's my hardener that is yellow coming out of the bottle...so again my resin was yellow. My guess is that it is expired? Now it's been too long to take it back to AC Moore, but I emailed the company and complained, maybe they'll give me something free. And now I know to check the box to see if it's yellow before I waste money on it.

If your resin is yellow in the bottle...then you're going to most likely have that yellow tint in your final pieces.  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Ravenater
« Reply #357 on: November 10, 2009 03:00:47 PM »

Good thread... great tutorial... it's been over a year in the making I see lol.... took me a long time but I read the whole thing and really appreciate all the good tips... I will definately try this!  Gona wait a while cause I'm preggers and don't wanna breath in any fumes, but it will be a good thing to do when i'm off work... lol

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I said meh... you know meh... M-e-h... meh
I Sew Cute

« Reply #358 on: November 10, 2009 07:51:53 PM »

Good thread... great tutorial... it's been over a year in the making I see lol.... took me a long time but I read the whole thing and really appreciate all the good tips... I will definately try this!  Gona wait a while cause I'm preggers and don't wanna breath in any fumes, but it will be a good thing to do when i'm off work... lol

You're welcome & yes...don't do it while pregnant. My Ob-Gyn had said absolutely no...so I took a break.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
ADD
« Reply #359 on: November 14, 2009 07:58:13 AM »

I've just started making resin pieces after I've read this post. They were so easy to make and FUN!!!  Great TUT btw. I have a few questions maybe you guys can answer for me. What size drill bit do I use for my dremel? I used a bigger size. It seems to look okay. But are smaller drill bits better for the appearance or to make sure they dont beak while your drilling? Would jump rings work for attaching it to a necklace? If so what size should I use? Has anyone tried using candy molds with any luck? I want to make rings but where would I find the circle part to attach to the resin piece? Would I glue it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I messed up on my personal swap in 2006. Can I be forgiven now?
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
P.J. Bracegirdle Talks About Fiendish Deeds
Meet Author Hester Browne
Jonathan Segura: Discusses His Debut Novel Occupational Hazards
Tony and Angela DiTerlizzi Reveal Their Favorite Words
Peter Walsh Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...