A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
484 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 38
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial...kind of...for making resin pendants with butterflies inside...  (Read 95747 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , resin , pendant , craftster_best_of_2008 , seal , epoxy , easy_cast  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #330 on: July 02, 2009 04:28:58 PM »

Well, my mom suggested silica gel to dry them out first, and voila!  It dries them out without pressing them, and the color stays pretty vibrant for the most part.  I've tried about 10 different kinds of flower petals, and they didn't change at all in the resin. 
Woohoo!  Cheesy

OMG...why didn't I think of silica gell? My mom used to use that to dry flowers all the time! I'm so glad it worked for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
ambersteele
« Reply #331 on: July 03, 2009 09:09:32 AM »

OMG...why didn't I think of silica gell? My mom used to use that to dry flowers all the time! I'm so glad it worked for you!

Yeah, it's awesome! Thank goodness for moms, huh?  Heehee!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my photography website  http://www.ambersteele.com

Be true to yourself and you will never fall. -Beastie Boys
aprilfooish
« Reply #332 on: July 19, 2009 12:27:22 PM »

Hi! I am new to Jewlery making, I was just looking to make some photo Pendants for myself when I stumbled onto your WONDERFUL how to. I was still scared ( even after reading this ENTIRE 30+ pages!) well I finally poured and made a few little items, I thought I would share one I made for my 6 year old Ghostbuster obsessed son. I think this was sooo much clear -supportive- information, that I wanted to say THANK YOU for posting this and helping all of us newbees out! Cyndi ok, well I can't post the picture but a link to the pictures, well I will have to read on that! Thanks anyhow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
besos_tan_dulces
« Reply #333 on: July 28, 2009 02:27:16 PM »

2 QUESTIONS if anybody would like to help out! I think my issue may have been with the type of mold that I used. (I used a silicone heart shaped ice cube tray)

1.) When I tried it, the resin came out too soft. It almost seemed a bit gummy on the outermost layer. No matter how much time I let it set, it still felt that way. The inside was hard but the outer layer was a tad soft, just enough to scream "amateur".

2.) The part that would be the bottom of the pendant (the part that does not have contact with the mold) was uneven. Do you sand it? Also, the part that was in contact with the mold was really dull.

So was my issue, in your opinion,with the type of the mold OR the way I mixed the resin?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Expecting mini-De or mini-Mo on Dec 24, 2010!
claraohara
« Reply #334 on: July 29, 2009 01:28:05 AM »

2 QUESTIONS if anybody would like to help out! I think my issue may have been with the type of mold that I used. (I used a silicone heart shaped ice cube tray)

1.) When I tried it, the resin came out too soft. It almost seemed a bit gummy on the outermost layer. No matter how much time I let it set, it still felt that way. The inside was hard but the outer layer was a tad soft, just enough to scream "amateur".

2.) The part that would be the bottom of the pendant (the part that does not have contact with the mold) was uneven. Do you sand it? Also, the part that was in contact with the mold was really dull.

So was my issue, in your opinion,with the type of the mold OR the way I mixed the resin?

Hmmm well with no.1 It was probably the way you mixed the resin but could also be weather or type of resin related too. What brand are you using?

2. Was it the ikea ice cube tray?
I have that one too and it is the way they have made the mold that everything will come out kinda frosted looking. Maybe try a different mold. There are usually some cool ones on ebay
 Grin
Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog full of food, fun, photography and every craft I attempt:
Blogginess
Smiley
twobluestripes
« Reply #335 on: July 29, 2009 01:44:12 AM »

Saw this tute on the front page, and now you've got me converted! I want to get started with resin right away!

PS, can anyone recommend a glue for attaching bails and jewelry findings (and maybe fabric) to the back of the resin? I definitely want to make some pendents, and I want them to be sturdy, but I don't have access to a proper little drill and probably won't be buying one any time soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Casey1201
« Reply #336 on: July 29, 2009 11:24:28 AM »

Ok I went and bought some resin and molds today so I am going to finally try this tonight. I will post the finished items tomorrow as long as they dont look awful. Wish me luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in personal swaps!

http://pinterest.com/caseyyoder/
Riechan
~What is this feeling?~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #337 on: July 29, 2009 12:31:06 PM »

maybe a stupid question and maybe answered before but I don't have enough time to go through 34 pages of comments Cheesy
How do you make this into a pendant? do you stuck something on there?
or do you make a hole?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Casey1201
« Reply #338 on: July 29, 2009 12:37:16 PM »

I feel stupid...I bought the opaque kind that dries white. Dang it!!!! Back to the store tonight to get the correct kind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in personal swaps!

http://pinterest.com/caseyyoder/
claraohara
« Reply #339 on: July 29, 2009 12:58:40 PM »

I feel stupid...I bought the opaque kind that dries white. Dang it!!!! Back to the store tonight to get the correct kind.

Aww dang  Sad
You could probably colour it and use it for non embedded stuff  Smiley

maybe a stupid question and maybe answered before but I don't have enough time to go through 34 pages of comments Cheesy
How do you make this into a pendant? do you stuck something on there?
or do you make a hole?

You can either glue a bail to the back or (how i do it) using a hobby drill, drill a teeny tiny hole and gle an eyepin in. Voila!
Feel free to PM me if you need any more help-it is all in the last 34 pages but that is a bit of a slow read! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog full of food, fun, photography and every craft I attempt:
Blogginess
Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 38 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Brush Cleaner
Find Your Perfect Shade of Red Lipstick
How to Apply Self Tanner to Your Face
How to Look Great After a Long Flight
Beauty Treatments of the Stars: Extreme Natural Beauty
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...