A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 306,408
Currently Running With Scissors:
708 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 38
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial...kind of...for making resin pendants with butterflies inside...  (Read 120743 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , resin , pendant , craftster_best_of_2008 , seal , epoxy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AbbyRose
« Reply #280 on: March 11, 2009 10:47:26 AM »

Great thread you have here I Sew Cute!

I am new to resin and I was wondering how long you should let a layer set before adding things to it? And where do you let it set? Just on the counter top?

Also, do you have any tips on adding colourant or dyes? I don't have a craft store near where I live so I can't just go out and buy special dyes. Is there any other kind of dye I can use (like paints or food colouring)??

Thanks in advance Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adorable handmade childrens hoodies in stock now!
Wistful Thinking.
I love to DYE Smiley
Handmade cloth diapers, booties, bags and more! www.abbyrosecreations.ca
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #281 on: March 11, 2009 11:55:25 AM »

I am new to resin and I was wondering how long you should let a layer set before adding things to it?

And where do you let it set? Just on the counter top?

Also, do you have any tips on adding colourant or dyes?
Is there any other kind of dye I can use (like paints or food colouring)??

Thank you AbbyRose & welcome to the wonderful world of resin!  Smiley

You can add things right away without letting the resin set...but know that things shift & move around a little until it 'begins' to set up. My experience is things won't shift much after about an hour to hour and a half...so if you put stuff in right away, it needs supervision at least that long...moving things back into place...unless you're tossing stuff in randomly...then I guess it doesn't matter!
If you work in thin layers...letting each cure in between pouring batches....you'll have a lot of depth in the pieces you make.

I work in my kitchen with the overhead fan on & the window open. Resin fumes are not good. When the weather is nice, I set up a table on my sunporch & work out there.

You'll need to protect your work surface in case of drips...wherever you work. I do wear thin rubber gloves to protect hands & it is a good idea to wear a respirator if you're going to work with resin alot.
As the pieces set up, I cover them with an upside down plastic bin.

There are some posts within this thread of different techniques to color your resin...some folks have tried different methods like a little dab of paint. I believe someone tried food coloring & that didn't work too well. I have used embossing powders (you can find in any scrapbook shop/aisle of craft store) & a dye specific for resin called 'Castin' Craft Color Pigment Concentrate' ...you may be able to find it online. There are transparent & opaque colors available.

I encourage experimentation! Seeing the results you get & how things react within the resin is the best learning experience of all! Have fun!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
AbbyRose
« Reply #282 on: March 11, 2009 12:38:57 PM »

Thank you for the warm welcome Smiley

And thanks for all the tips.  I didn't think to read the thread in it's entirety before posting, but I will now that you've mentioned it. Hopefully I can figure something out with the colourant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adorable handmade childrens hoodies in stock now!
Wistful Thinking.
I love to DYE Smiley
Handmade cloth diapers, booties, bags and more! www.abbyrosecreations.ca
crazycutie
« Reply #283 on: March 13, 2009 08:09:11 AM »

Shocked~~WOW~thanks for ur tutorial.
It;s very useful^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Liath Black
« Reply #284 on: March 16, 2009 01:01:01 AM »

usefull..i wonder if it work with real butterfly wings?...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ambersteele
« Reply #285 on: March 16, 2009 07:15:07 PM »

I'm guessing the only issue would be moisture, but if they're sufficiently dried out and/or well sealed, I don't know why it wouldn't. If you try it, please let us know how it goes!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my photography website  http://www.ambersteele.com

Be true to yourself and you will never fall. -Beastie Boys
claraohara
« Reply #286 on: March 16, 2009 07:53:59 PM »

A long long time ago I made a pendant which had a very dried out cricket in it (found him on my windowsill) and I pulled it out yesterday and its still fine! I didnt seal him or anything. But if the butterfly wasn't dry you might have some icky issues.....
Definitely give it a try! Would love to see some pics if you do!
Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog full of food, fun, photography and every craft I attempt:
Blogginess
Smiley
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #287 on: March 17, 2009 07:57:54 AM »

I bet butterfly wings would turn out beautifully! I've seen scorpions & even small fish embedded in resin. I think the resin mummifies them since they are sealed...so possibly no decomposing would occur. I guess it's one of those things to try & see what happens!

Wink

did you see this post? http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=296971.30
cicadas in resin...

Smiley
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009 08:03:29 AM by I Sew Cute » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
aliengrace
« Reply #288 on: March 17, 2009 10:32:03 AM »

Thanks, very inspiring thread Smiley I have gone to the hardware shop and gotten myself "Glass Coat" which is a regular epoxy resin (1 to 1), ostensibly for timber finish but I've heard it's like "Envirotex Lite" so hopefully it's okay, and it comes with an epoxy cleaner as well.

Yep, I've been wondering about things with moisture. Seems that anaerobic bacteria could still be at work in something that's moist, gradually breaking it down and discolouring it... how have those wet flowers turned out, are they still looking okay? Cos I'd love to embed all sorts of natural things in there... Maybe I have to treat everything with a dessicant.

And paper... it's just a matter of doing a thin layer in a mould, and then putting the glue-covered paper in, and then doing a layer or two over the top that domes naturally, yes? And drilling into resin... is a normal drill bit okay, or do I need the diamond-tipped one to minimise drill breakage? (I assume resin itself is not brittle.) Can't afford a dremel (yet), Australian prices. Sad

And eghhhh I live in the tropics, and it's the wet season, so humidity is going to be an issue. Sometimes the RH is =~ 95% at >30 degrees C so pretty insane. I suppose I can pour the mould outside, but maybe run the dehumidifer setting on the AC when drying.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009 10:38:58 AM by aliengrace » THIS ROCKS   Logged

claraohara
« Reply #289 on: March 17, 2009 03:20:37 PM »

Thanks, very inspiring thread Smiley I have gone to the hardware shop and gotten myself "Glass Coat" which is a regular epoxy resin (1 to 1), ostensibly for timber finish but I've heard it's like "Envirotex Lite" so hopefully it's okay, and it comes with an epoxy cleaner as well.

Yep, I've been wondering about things with moisture. Seems that anaerobic bacteria could still be at work in something that's moist, gradually breaking it down and discolouring it... how have those wet flowers turned out, are they still looking okay? Cos I'd love to embed all sorts of natural things in there... Maybe I have to treat everything with a dessicant.

And paper... it's just a matter of doing a thin layer in a mould, and then putting the glue-covered paper in, and then doing a layer or two over the top that domes naturally, yes? And drilling into resin... is a normal drill bit okay, or do I need the diamond-tipped one to minimise drill breakage? (I assume resin itself is not brittle.) Can't afford a dremel (yet), Australian prices. Sad

And eghhhh I live in the tropics, and it's the wet season, so humidity is going to be an issue. Sometimes the RH is =~ 95% at >30 degrees C so pretty insane. I suppose I can pour the mould outside, but maybe run the dehumidifer setting on the AC when drying.

I use the same 'Glass Coat' stuff from Bunnings Grin
I have never had any issues with it-is definitely my favourite and the cheapest I could find.

I embedded some plant bits in resin around mid last year and after moving around so much (3 times since then!) I finally unpacked them to find they had gone baaad. Sad
They looked fine at the time and for a month or so after but after an extended period they browned and started to decompose.
Not so pretty anymore Sad

Drilling into resin you wont need a diamond tip, I bought this drill off ebay
(http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Cordless-Mini-Hobby-Drill-Engraver-Polisher-Buffer-Kit_W0QQitemZ350176775971QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Hand_Tools?hash=item350176775971&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318)
It was much much cheaper than a dremel and has so many great attachments!
The resin is pretty tough and I haven't had any chipping or breaking issues at all.

Good luck with your experimenting! Grin
(show us some pics if you do!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog full of food, fun, photography and every craft I attempt:
Blogginess
Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 38 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stylist Reveals Best Holiday Hairstyles
How to Do Givenchy Knotted Plaits
How to Get Party Hair
VF COLLECTIONS: Missoni Spring/Summer 2015 - Milan Fashion Week
How the Perfect Haircut Can Help You Tackle Your Goals
Latest Blog Articles
Folding in the New Year!
Tute Tuesday: Joan Jett Inspired Black Heart Soap
The X-Files

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...