A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,470
Currently Running With Scissors:
584 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 38
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial...kind of...for making resin pendants with butterflies inside...  (Read 97062 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , resin , pendant , craftster_best_of_2008 , seal , epoxy , easy_cast  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pxedst
« Reply #270 on: February 07, 2009 12:53:21 PM »

Hello Everyone!
I am very happy about this forum it really is great! I'm thinking of making my own resin jewelry. This is really my inspiration...

Granted I wont be close to being that perfect with the glitter or the smoothness. P.s Any ideas on how to make those lines so even?

But I haven't purchased anything because I want to have everything at my side and know what to do. But I have lots of questions still.

1) I do not have a dremel, but I have a regular drill. I would use the smallest drill and not so much power. Will that damage my finished work? If so can I just HOT GLUE the eye pin?  

2) Is it possible to make those molds and then hot glueing it to an adjustable ring?

3)Do I add a little bit of resin, add my item then add more resin then add the glitter then close it up? I have read all the other post about adding to much glitter so I know that much.

4)So what is the ratio to do just one mold first just to experiment?

5)When I get better at this and want to use more molds at a time should I keep mixing it around till i finish decorating one?

6)Can I use nail files for filing the mold to make it smoother? And then add Diamond Glaze all over the mold again or just the area I smoothed?

7)So there is no way of keeping the plastic bottle for further uses? Or is that were the Acetone nail polish remover comes in?

Sorry for all the questions. I just really want to learn how to make resin jewelry for myself and my daughter and maybe later on try to sell some. Thanks you all for this great post!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009 06:21:03 PM by Pxedst » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ambersteele
« Reply #271 on: March 08, 2009 12:25:13 PM »

I've never used glitter, so I'm useless on most of your questions, but I do know about the plastic bottles.  You CAN reuse them, you just have to be careful about how the left over resin sets up in it.  What I found to work is when you're done, unscrew the top and place the bottle upside down on something (such as whatever you mixed your resin in) so the left over resin can drip out.  Once it hardens you can pull out the stuff that coated the sides the same way you would from the molds (it usually just leaves a thin film on the inside. If you squeeze the bottle it helps to separate it from the sides of the bottle, and I just use a pair of tweezers to grab it and pull it out).  You have to make sure to turn it upside down though, otherwise it will all settle in the bottom and that's nearly impossible to get out (found that out the hard way on my first go!).  Just do the same with the top of the bottle, and you should be good to go!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my photography website  http://www.ambersteele.com

Be true to yourself and you will never fall. -Beastie Boys
ambersteele
« Reply #272 on: March 08, 2009 12:30:24 PM »

P.S. I tried to view the image you linked, and it said that you have to sign into Photobucket to view it.  Could you maybe link it from somewhere else?  You mentioned lines (getting them straight), so now I'm super curious to see your inspiration piece!   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ambersteele
« Reply #273 on: March 09, 2009 08:46:45 PM »

Ooh! Very cute!  Thank you for trying that again.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #274 on: March 10, 2009 09:07:30 AM »

Pxedst... you may want to remove the 'inspiration photo' because the original designer may take offense to you using her work as inspiration!  Wink I feel I must mention that...I mean how would you feel if you saw someone asking to learn to make something you were doing...and using 'your photo' as their inspiration? I'm sure you didn't mean any harm...but it could really ruffle some gal's feathers!

Ambersteele... your squeeze bottle cleaning method rocks! I've been doing that now & love that I can reuse one many many many more times than I used to! Yay!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009 09:32:36 AM by I Sew Cute - Reason: personal reasons » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
maladylis
« Reply #275 on: March 10, 2009 10:07:00 AM »

I'm new here and have been looking all over for a resin forum.  I finally read through the whole resin thread and it's great.  I did my first pour a couple of days ago and got them done except the finish sanding.  I'm going to try and put some tape around the edges ( I have some heat tape here that should work) and then pour some more resin in to level off the back and fix them. I hope it works !!  So far, mine are pendants with horse hair in them and a bracelet too, they came out so neat !  I will post photos soon.Lisa

« Last Edit: March 10, 2009 10:46:25 AM by maladylis » THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my etsy shop here..

www.GlenShire.etsy.com
ambersteele
« Reply #276 on: March 10, 2009 12:26:12 PM »

I Sew Cute, I'm so glad that I could be helpful to you, after all that you've bestowed upon us resin novices!  Yay!  Cheesy  I figured there HAD to be some way to reuse the bottles- it felt so wasteful to throw them out each time, you know?  I'm super glad it's working for you too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pxedst
« Reply #277 on: March 10, 2009 06:13:42 PM »

Oh please get off your high horse. I see your work looks exactly like hers so what.. everybody is doing the same kind of resin work. I like the way she used letters, glitters, and the form of her pendant that's all. And I contacted her first before using her picture. And It's the only picture she let me use. She has given me her advice and I was asking everybody else just in case I could go about doing it maybe differently.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #278 on: March 11, 2009 09:16:30 AM »

How sweet of you to come into my thread & insult me for looking out for another artist's interest! You should have mentioned you had their permission when you posted their photo!

Please play nice...especially when we're trying to help YOU!
.... there's no need to insult other members here...  Wink

(I don't even have a horse!) LOL!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009 09:54:49 AM by I Sew Cute » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 11, 2009 10:39:27 AM »

No need to be demeaning in our community.  Please stay on topic and refrain from insults.

Thanks! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 38 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Audition Online
How to Get a Cast for a Film
How to Deal with Nerves During an Audition
How Diet Affects Auditions
How to Dress in Character for an Audition
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...