A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 309,705
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial...kind of...for making resin pendants with butterflies inside...  (Read 108392 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , resin , pendant , craftster_best_of_2008 , seal , epoxy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

petaleigh
« Reply #250 on: October 17, 2008 07:04:04 AM »

Hi - thanks for your info on resin.  I have just started using resin and yes it is addictive.

I bought a resin pendant years ago and it is almost like glass - very shiny and looks as if it is liquid glass.  I assume it is resin but was wondering how to make my pendants more 'glass like' - perhaps it is the type of resin i'm using.  ANy suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Peta
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #251 on: October 17, 2008 05:38:27 PM »

I've been doing it just as my tutorial shows...so if anyone else has any comments to help petaleigh here with this...that would be swell!  Grin

I think mine turn out pretty glass like for the most part.

Be sure to mix your resin well according to pkg. directions & try to get out all the bubbles! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
fifitinkerbell
« Reply #252 on: October 23, 2008 10:05:18 AM »

Thank you for your help anyway! I found a supplier and got some EasyCast stuff. It seems to be working out well but I have another question: how do I get my resin shape to be filled with glitter? The front and back are glittery but the sides still appear clear as if the glitter isnt sinking in. Do I need to just use more glitter?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #253 on: October 23, 2008 10:14:13 PM »

Resin kind of moves around a bit in the molds as it's curing...so it really depends on what kind of glitter you are using. Chunky glitter wants to sink to the bottom & float on the back at the same time...so try using a toothpick to swirl it around...keep an eye on it for the first 1/2 hour to hour...then it should be fine.

Does that make sense?

Or ...you could do it in little layers...mix some resin & don't fill the mold all the way...add your glitter...let it cure...mix more resin...etc. This is my preferred method...you'll have more control.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
ohimskrewed
« Reply #254 on: October 24, 2008 01:15:44 AM »

while we're on a glitter note,
anyone know of any brands of smaller/finer glitter?  i have only found the normal "chunky" type.  maybe i am just looking in the wrong places @ the craft store..  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

« Reply #255 on: October 24, 2008 02:07:42 AM »

look in the scrapbook section, near the embossing powders, there are nice fine glitters over there
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
fifitinkerbell
« Reply #256 on: October 25, 2008 01:01:11 PM »

Resin kind of moves around a bit in the molds as it's curing...so it really depends on what kind of glitter you are using. Chunky glitter wants to sink to the bottom & float on the back at the same time...so try using a toothpick to swirl it around...keep an eye on it for the first 1/2 hour to hour...then it should be fine.

Does that make sense?

Or ...you could do it in little layers...mix some resin & don't fill the mold all the way...add your glitter...let it cure...mix more resin...etc. This is my preferred method...you'll have more control.

Yep - thanks very much! I'm using really fine glitter and tried the layering method but I'll attempt swirling it around with a toothpick. I bought some chunky stars glitter confetti so I'll see how that turns out too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ohimskrewed
« Reply #257 on: October 26, 2008 09:51:38 PM »

look in the scrapbook section, near the embossing powders, there are nice fine glitters over there
thanks for the info! i will have a look the next time i have money.  my halloween costume has been bleeding my account dry!  Cry Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chrissiemags
Chrissie's Custom Creations

Is there such a thing as too much fabric or ribbon

« Reply #258 on: October 29, 2008 06:09:54 AM »

Great job, I so love the butterflies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chrissie's Custom Creations
~Offering Laser Cut Scrapbook Embellishments~ Trendy & Classic Hair Accessories~ Cute as Can be Bottle Cap Images~Bottle Cap Jewelry
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

« Reply #259 on: October 29, 2008 02:07:14 PM »

thanks for the info! i will have a look the next time i have money.  my halloween costume has been bleeding my account dry!  Cry Roll Eyes

your welcome, and dont i know it, i paid for all but one of the costumes this yr (3 aduls basically) and i am feeling the crunch, i need to start my sisters tonight, and finish all the accesories....

i am going to buy glitter today, i will let you know how much it is
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Pumpkin Pie
How to make Fried Pork Chops
How to make Baked Beans in a Dutch Oven
How to make Chicken and Dumplings
How to make Cornbread Dressing
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...