A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
421 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 38
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial...kind of...for making resin pendants with butterflies inside...  (Read 91485 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , resin , pendant , craftster_best_of_2008 , seal , epoxy , easy_cast  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ohimskrewed
« Reply #240 on: October 09, 2008 02:50:16 AM »

we just made resin castings of our fingers in my small scale sculpture class! i will post a pic when i get it out tomorrow morning!
yay  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 09, 2008 03:14:36 AM »

Wow beadizzygrl - Mica powders look like the perfect thing to mix with resin - they look fantastic!
My favorite are the light blue/green ones - they look so soft. It's hard to believe you are a first time resiner.... I know you are going to do great things with these!

ohimskrewed - sounds like fun! I can't wait to see your fingers Smiley

Odd_artist, do you have any of your old stuff left? I'd love to see pics!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008 03:20:13 AM by kaleesi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
odd_artist
WEIRD IS GOOD!

Twister of Minds

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #242 on: October 09, 2008 04:58:54 AM »

Odd_artist, do you have any of your old stuff left? I'd love to see pics!

GOOD GOD NO!
We are talking tourist CRAP! From 30+ years ago!

The only items I wouldn't have minded keeping were a couple of the clocks - one was a firebird design in arrowheads, the other was thinly sliced slabs of chrysacola (not sure of the spelling), a rock that looks much like turquoise, but more blue.
The only other item was a stickshift knob I had made. I had some leftover clay after making and armadillo for my dad, and made a flaccid penis resting on a couple of plump testes - very realistic. When I made a mold of the armadillo, I made a mold of this as well. I took the knob out of my VW and put it into the resin when I poured, and it came out GREAT!
I drove around for several months with this knob, finding it a very comfortable handfull. Then one fateful day, my dad's car wouldn't start, so he borrowed mine. He was halfway to work when he finally noticed what he was holding. Out the window onto the freeway it went. I caught absolute hell when he got home.
I'm considering making these again...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop!
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #243 on: October 09, 2008 06:27:57 AM »

LOL!!!! Oddartist....that is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Why the heck would your dad throw something of yours from your car out the window?!!! Unbelievable! But I suppose that had something to do with it being 30 years ago perhaps?
You have got to make these....you've just got to!
Maybe you can find some of your creations on ebay!  Grin

Beadizzygrl...I'm sooo proud of you! They are beautiful beautiful beautiful.

Learn well you did! *in my best Yoda voice* Grin I think the mica powders are a fabulous material to work with...being that it's finer than glitter...it won't all sink to the bottom (front of mold)...and you are blessed with no bubbles! I know the clover took a beating...but try to submerge the next one at an angle...with just a dab of resin in the mold...then fill the back. Should help. Bubbles work with the dolphins! I would try to make the next one be very bubbly! Here is some inspiration...very cool & beautiful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMCf7SNUb-Q

Remeber...you control the resin...it does not control you!

ohimskrewed...what a cool class you're taking!!! I'm jealous! You must show us your fingers! What material did you use to cast your fingers? I'm curious for doing my kiddo's hands...while they are all cute and dimply!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
ohimskrewed
« Reply #244 on: October 09, 2008 05:41:11 PM »

hey everyone! here's the pictures i promised!

first we dipped our fingers into warm wax (heat was similar to the kind you get in a paraffin wax hand treatment).

our teacher brought out a tool box filled with colorings which i suspect may have been around since the late 70s.. lol
i chose a opaque lime green, which ended up being very dried out and i could not get all the chunks out so you can see them floating in there. i also added a few drops of an awesome sparkly yellow someone else in class had mixed up (the streaky parts by the top knuckle) and embeded a clover i found in a potted plant outside the room. (its that blob right under my finger nail.)

yay! fingers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fifitinkerbell
« Reply #245 on: October 11, 2008 10:51:25 AM »

I'm really inspired but I can't find a decent looking supplier for the resin materials in the UK. Can anyone recommend one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

michowl
Michowl Designs

« Reply #246 on: October 13, 2008 12:39:10 PM »

How do you clean the container with the resin when you are done? is it just soap and  water?  I bought some to try it out, and all the warnings on the labels freaked me out! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

« Reply #247 on: October 15, 2008 01:11:39 AM »

the best thing i have found to get resin off of things is acetone nail polish remover, but the resin cant be cured..i use throw aways for mixing, cos the mess is sticky, and its really bad for you if its on your skin for too long or it happens alot
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #248 on: October 15, 2008 05:49:13 AM »

Acetone...an ingredient in most nail polishes works well. Please do wear latex or rubber gloves when handling resin... I use those thin 'surgical' gloves

Also, when your sanding or drilling holes, you should wear a mask...breathing the resin 'dust' isn't good for you either!

When handling it properly it should be fun without the worry...and yes the warning onthe label should always be taken seriously!

I love this medium...and don't see myself stopping anytime soon. I love that new people are trying it...because its fun & the results can be so amazing...but do not put your health in danger either!

I'm really inspired but I can't find a decent looking supplier for the resin materials in the UK. Can anyone recommend one?

I wish I could help you with this... try an online search. There are a lot of resin suppliers on line. If no luck with that...then how about craft stores such as Michaels or Hobby Lobby...if no luck there...then try hardware stores...(hardware stores you ask?) ...yes, hardware stores have resin. If I come up with any direct links...I'll pm ya fifi!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

« Reply #249 on: October 15, 2008 06:00:58 AM »

i always wear gloves, but it gets up on my arms sometimes (i dont mix violently, and i dont splash, so i dont know how it does it)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 38 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Jagged Chevron Part 4/5
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 6/10
How to Crochet a Jagged Chevron Part 5/5
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 10/10
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 7/10
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...