A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,223
Currently Running With Scissors:
408 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Patriotic Rag Quilt  (Read 10120 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hello_jamie
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008 11:27:16 AM »

i love this quilt so much, it makes me happy Smiley i really like the raw edge look, its so country and cute Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bopeep

Love Being Granny !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008 06:58:50 PM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked
LOVE IT !!
LOVE IT !!!
LOVE IT !!!!
bopeep
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pjherbert

He is such a little stinker!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008 07:03:46 PM »

That is beautiful! I want to make my mom one, she keeps her patriotic decorations up until Labor Day. You did a awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kimby.

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008 07:34:27 PM »

Thank you all for so much wonderfulness ... after the day I had at work, it is VERY much appreciated!   Smiley

To answer some of the questions, especially to those of you who think you can't make a rag quilt, pishaw, I say!  Rag quilts are really easy-peasy ... you don't worry too terribly much about matching seams, and you don't have a lot of quilting to do, either. Start off with a one-patch rag quilt and build on it from there. You pick some fabrics that you truly love (I truly love blue jeans!) and you can't go wrong.

Very nice work... consistent snipping to achieve the chenille vs. rag effect... whats your secret???

My biggest tip on rag quilting I can give is if you want a real raggy effect, use jeans, homespuns, and flannels. These fabrics really fray nicely. And spring-loaded scizzors are worth every penny they cost when making a rag quilt!   Grin

And rag quilts are very durable. Including the denim makes it pretty heavy, but this sucker should last a good long time. I've made about four or five rag quilts using denim, and I don't use a batting because they become really heavy and thick ... I think using a flannel instead of batting reduces the bulk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." -Confucius
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008 10:04:50 PM »

I have to agree rag quilts are probably the easiest of quilts to make. I've made one. I didn't use any sort of batting either. Just a layer of denim and a layer of cotton.
I'm currently working on my 2&3 rag quilts. Some day they will be finished... I need more jeans.
I also agree about the spring loaded scissors. They are pretty much the only kind I can use because of problems with my wrists and hands.
Kimby - love your stuff, especially your bleach work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
FicklePegasus

Evil, but in a good way

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008 09:09:48 AM »

I saw this in the hot topics and KNEW Kimby. did it  Grin  I LOVE IT!!!!  Great job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/FicklePegasus

My Baby Cuthulu Blanket was featured on http://geekcrafts.com/
Kimby.

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008 12:23:04 PM »

I have to agree rag quilts are probably the easiest of quilts to make. I've made one. I didn't use any sort of batting either. Just a layer of denim and a layer of cotton.
I'm currently working on my 2&3 rag quilts. Some day they will be finished... I need more jeans.
I also agree about the spring loaded scissors. They are pretty much the only kind I can use because of problems with my wrists and hands.
Kimby - love your stuff, especially your bleach work.

Sue, if you need more jeans, just let your friends/neighbors/co-workers know ... you will be buried in old jeans in no time flat!   Cheesy Yard sales are also a great source for el cheapo jeans, too.

FicklePegasus, you are too much ... I will get you to attempt a quilt someday ...   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." -Confucius
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008 08:16:44 AM »

fantastic and what an inspiration!
Thanks so much for sharing
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
roccstarr75
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009 11:35:02 AM »

I know this is an old post,but with it being featured in the Memorial Day spot, I am sure more people will be coming to it like I did.  Sooooo... my comment is this: Awesome quilt!  I am going to do this!  And for those of you needing denim, I second the notion of teling friends, family, & coworkers, you will be bombarded with more denim than you could use.  Also, I found a couple of people on eBay who sell precut denim squares (in various sizes) for a pretty reasonable price.  I got 100 8" squares for like $20 (inc. shipping).  This is way less than it would have been for me to collect denim, and then I would have had to wash, iron, and cut it all. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missgabbielynn

Dance like no one is watching!

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2009 11:32:40 AM »

I have been drooling over this quilt for some time.  It is saved in my favorites and I have been collecting denim for some time now to make one.  LOL  I have found most of my denim at a local Thrift shop.  Jeans there are 25 cents on weekdays and 10 cents on Saturdays.  I walk in and buy a bagful at a time!  LOL

I already have the patriotic fabric (found on sale at a local quilt shop a LONG time ago..didn't know what I would ever do with it, but now I know), and have the fabrics for the backing too!  Now I just need to find some time to start working on it.

I am planning on making this for my neice and nephew as a Christmas present.  I hope mine comes out half as beautiful as yours does Kimby!!! 

missgabbielynn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Arms Race in Home Hair Color
Two Special Occasions Hairstyles for Curly Hair
Half Up Half Down Hairstyle for Curly Hair
Hair How To: The Bardot Ponytail
Nicole Richie on Her Hairstyling
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...