A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,172
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What machine do you use?  (Read 10638 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Daneisha

I <3 fabric and puzzles!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 27, 2008 07:10:28 AM »

I will be investing in a new sewing/embroidery machine, and I have no idea where to start.  So I need to know what machines you guys use so I can begin my research.  So far I have been looking at the Brother se270d.  And price is sort of a factor, I'm trying not to spend more than let's say $500.  Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StumpBaby.etsy.com

::Glittery Awesomeness and Fabulously Geeky Machine Embroidery Designs!::

:::::::::Knitters I need your help!  PM me please::::::::::
paroper
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008 07:21:12 AM »

THe 270D is about to be replaced by the 370D and it may be less expensive.  At this time the suggestion will be that it sell for 399.  I don't know if you want a hot off the press "new" machine but if it were me, I would not be excited if I didn't make the choice myself.  At the same time, when the 370D comes off the line, the 270 may go on sale.  Just an option you may want to consider?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewBrazilian
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008 02:21:23 PM »

I recently bought an embroidery machine - Innov-is 900D.
I once considered the possibility for the 350 - sold at Wal-Mart but you need to also buy the Ped Basic in order to be able to download the designs from internet.
That would add up around US$ 200.
Also I was interested in updating my machine for one with alphabets and more decorative stitches.

I ended up buying the 900D. I paid US$600 for it. This machine has the USB port so I can download directly from my computer... I don't need to have the ped basic... just transfer the designs from the pc to the machine.

Also I love the decorative stitches on this one plus the Custom Stitch - you can create your own stitch or "copy" another sewing machine stitch.

This machine also allows me to perform updates whenever Brother releases something new...so I don't need to change machines!

It is (in my opinion) a wonderful combo - sewing and embroidery for this price.

I read a lot of complaints about the thread cassete on the 270D. It is tough to use cones too.

Think about what kind of features you want in your machine.
That can be a guideline to help you choose what you need.

Good luck!

Sew Brazilian
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008 04:47:26 AM »

My next embroidery machine I want one that has the 6x10 hoop. I have a Janome 350e that I do love don't get me wrong but I do have hoop envy.

I would steer clear of the machines that take the cartridges - I just looked at the Innovis and that looks like a way better way to go... the Walmart one does not have the bigger hoop - it has some sort of weird hoop thing that I can't really explain but I have heard people complaining about it big time.

Also before you buy go to a dealer and see if they have had any trade ins on other machines - they usually will back them with some kind of warranty even if it is just through the dealership and you will get more bang for your buck... People usually will end up trading up if they really get in to it and you can benefit from someone else's exchange...

For the money that innovis looks great - If that had been around when I was getting my machine I would have gone that way I am sure!    I went to a Brother dealer and I was just mortified with the idea of having to use the memory box to get stuff from the net.
But I do like my Janome - it is all about the dealer though.  I do love my dealer and everyone that works there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
FiberDogs
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008 05:36:57 PM »

I use a Baby Lock BMP8.
Its more money than you said you want to spend, but I bought it used - long story - for less than half the price my dealer was offering. Of course, you supposedly get a lot of stuff with it (classes, support, etc) ...

my advice is to buy a used one from someone in your area. check places like craigslist.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stitchesbyteresa
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008 05:46:11 PM »

I have purchased through www.allbrands.com before, a refurbished embroidery machine and it was a great machine.  I've also purchased embroidery software there and was pleased.  ALSO, you might want to check ebay before you purchase.  You might could find a higher end machine at the price of the one you're looking at.  I know I sold my first embroidery machine on ebay when I wanted to upgrade to a higher end machine and I ended up selling it to a lady who had lost the exact same machine in Hurricane Katrina.  She got a good deal on the auction and I was pleased that it was at least one item she was able to replace.  I'm sure there are folks like me out there who may be ready to buy something more expensive, so sell their previous one even though there is nothing wrong with it.  If you have too many embroidery machines sitting around your sewing room, hubby might notice (at least that's how it is at my house!  LOL).  One way you could compare would be to look at each brand's website at all the stats of each machine they offer.  That would be a good way to compare.  I have always purchased Brother brands, but now I wouldnt mind having a Bernina instead.  There are just SO MANY to choose from!  Baby Lock is the same as Brother, so if you see a Baby Lock, keep that in mind...

Let us know what you end up buying...we look forward to seeing what you create w/it!

Teresa
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweetsallyb
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008 12:44:49 PM »

I also ended up buying the 900D and I couldn't be happier honestly.  It does everything I need- like SewBrazilian  said.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008 05:11:59 PM »

I just called a local sewing machine dealer (not the one I normally go to - this one that I called today has cats walking around the store and I am soooo allergic to them!) Anyhoooo... I was calling to see how much their cheapest machine is that has a 6x10 hoop and the Brother ult 2003d apparently comes with one - and it is about $1200 from them...!  I am seriously considering trading in my Janome and buying the Brother - we will see... I asked her to find out how it transfers designs from the computer to the machine and sadly she didn't call me back this afternoon...  I am hopeful now! Who knows.. I might sell a ton of stuff on Ebay this fall and just spring for it if I can make enough on ebay. That would be amazing.  I really really want that 6c10 hoop!!
The hoop envy is just killing me!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
Michellegio_sew
Seamstress ..... Not Sewer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008 10:16:39 AM »

I just bought my first embroidery machine and I am mostly happy with it.  I originally wanted a singer futura 350 but couldn't afford it and after reading the futura group on yahoo I realized there seem to be alot of problems with it.

I ended up getting this: Smart 300E by Pfaff: https://www.nashuasewandvac.com/nsav/pfaff/pdf/features_300e.pdf
This shows just a few things the machine can do. 

It is actually an entry level machine, which was all I wanted.  I got it for $500 which included 10 disks of designs ( 10 to 12 each disk) of my choice, value of $30 each!  It also comes with over 200 built in designs, hooks up to my PC via USB cable and the software is amazing.  I can use almost any type of file extension.  I also have built into the software something called "quick fonts" which means I can use any font in my font library on my computer, and of course I can download any font off the internet, giving me so many lettering possibilities.  I can purchase or download any free design online or on a disk, there are no silly cards to mess around with. 
The software also has something called "Thread Manager" into which I can enter my thread colours in my collection.  Once I have the design on screen I really like to choose my own thread colours so I can see a preview of the final result.  I can also colour sort the design incase I am using the same colour in different areas, which eliminates thread changes as much as possible.  Another great feature is the ability to combine different designs in the hoop.

The only downside is the hoop is 4 x 4 and can't go bigger, and the machine doesn't come with digitizing software. 

I am trying the 30 day trial of digitize n' stitch, but for $200 full price I would not buy it.  It seems to basically be an auto punch system with poor results.  Maybe I am missing something. 

I am also trying Win Daisy free shareware, but it is based on an old platform and I just don't like it.  I can't figure it out.  I also don't like that you have to get windaisy to convert it to an embroidery file if it is over 800 stitches.  They should consider increasing that to at least 2000 stitches.  Plus the $800 price tag - Ouch! (but still better than $6000 for Adobe Illustrator's i2 plug-in)

I REALLY want to try Embriodery Magic 2 by Pantograms, it is only $100 or so on Ebay (which may be my only choice living in Canada) and if I can bring in a couple of halloween costumes beyond what I already have booked it will give me the extra cash to buy it!  The product specs and reviews I read seem awesome, and I also watched a video on it and it seems pretty good. I wish they had a 30 day free trial because I would hate to spend money on something I can't use because it is above my capabilities, although I consider myself fairly smart as a beginner self taught graphic art dabbler.  Here is a link to it, I am pretty sure that the owner of the site is a craftster member but am not 100% sure: http://www.craftystitcher.com/products.asp?id=2253
(not advertising, just this is the best link I can find!)

I would recommend this machine for home use, but my "Dream Machine" is this:
Janome MB-4
(video on youtube: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7692611709169707910 )
Product overview: http://www.janomesewing.co.uk/janome-mb4-embroidery-machine-176.html

I definitley cannot afford that!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008 10:22:56 AM by Michellegio_sew » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here.
Fraugee728

I have crafting ADHD. Seriously.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008 09:00:53 AM »

I purchased a Husqvarna Viking Huskystar EM10 about three weeks ago, which is the sister machine of the previous poster, and could not be more unhappy.

The threads snap all of the time - even with proper hooping the designs end up all scrunched and the thing that moves the hoop doesn't seem to be doing it correctly, since it's sews on top of previous embroidery and it gets like a big nub. 

It's always having these "errors" and I pretty much want to throw it against a wall.

The problem is, I bought it from a going out of business sale in town (www.walcottsewing.com) which had an "all sales final" policy.  I'm fairly certain, after hours of messing with this machine, that it's defective.   I'm also pretty sure that someone else took it home, realized how messed up it was, and brought it back - as there were random embroidery thread colors saved onto its harddrive already.  It wasn't like there was a whole collection of threads on there - they were random colors from random embroidery thread collections.

So, despite that "all sales final" thing, I'm going back there tonight to let them know they sold me a defective machine and that I bought it with the understanding that it was in good working order.  I really hope they'll give me a refund, but I'm not holding my breath.  My cousin suggested I sell it to someone on ebay, but then I'll just be passing a problem along to someone else, will probably get negative feedback, and a bunch of bad karma.

The other thing was, I purchased the husqvarna/viking 3D cross stitcher software so I could different designs with this thing - design my own, etc.  I was told by the people at the store that this is the software the machine works with (and is the intro software it came with) but my machine is not listed in my new software as one of the ones that is compatible with it - just the more expensive models.  I tried selecting each of the machines and then sending the embroidery that I designed, but to no avail.  It makes me want to scream.

So, hopefully I won't have a $575 paperweight at the end of the day.  If I had it to do over again, I would've just spent the extra hundreds of dollars to get the Designer I, Designer SE, or even have bought a Rose or Iris off of ebay.  Beware the EM10.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2008 09:02:07 AM by Fraugee728 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step one:  Collect Underpants
Step two:  ? ? ?
Step three:  Profit!

http://sometimessewist.wordpress.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Right Way to Wash Your Swimsuit
Blake Lively Takes It Turbo in Sexy Burberry
Ways To Wear Sporty Chic Shirts
Hermes Opens Two More Factories For High Demand Products
What To Wear: Maxi Dresses
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...