A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,153
Currently Running With Scissors:
486 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Learn to Knit Afghan (along)  (Read 5626 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: June 27, 2008 01:48:02 AM »

I recently got this book:
Learn - To - Knit Afghan Book
by Barbara G. Walker

Basically it's patterns for 63 squares of different knitting techniques and patterns.  In the end you join all the squares for a sort of sampler blanket.  I wondered if anyone else had the book and wanted to work along with me?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008 12:01:33 AM by Retromiad - Reason: added "along" to the topic » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PaisleyMoose
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008 11:12:52 AM »

If I can find a copy at one of the libraries near by me, I'll join in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Retromiad

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008 12:10:43 PM »

Yay!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008 11:25:41 AM »

I'm not interested in joining myself at this time, but I happened to run across a couple of examples of this afghan a while back. Here's a page where someone has made an afghan from Barbara Walker's book, although substituting for some of the squares: http://www.pagebypage.com/walkerafghan.php#background
And here is another: http://yscmama.typepad.com/photos/samplerafghan/afghan.html

Maybe those pictures will tempt some more people into joining? I remember that the book has very good reviews at Amazon.

7/4/08 ETA: Last night I was looking at a knitting blog and saw a link to another site that had pictures of what seems to be every square, plus a pic of them all sewn together. It's pretty impressive.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008 01:40:29 PM by wifeofbath » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
Retromiad

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008 01:47:20 PM »

Thanks!  Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
VintageEnthusiast
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008 05:03:01 PM »

I would love to join as I love afghans but I'm still a newbie. Perhaps I will join you next year when I get better LOL  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Retromiad

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008 05:39:55 PM »

I've already started mine since nobody was interested.  But you should still do it when you can, it's fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PaisleyMoose
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008 03:53:13 PM »

Retromiad I just wanted to let you know that I just ordered the book. Once I get the funds for some yarn I'm going to have this as my semester project to take to college with me. How is yours coming along? What kind of yarn are you using? I'm excited to start.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Retromiad

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008 09:28:12 AM »

Paisley, that's great!  It's really fun. I'm using a soft wool, I don't have the tag by me but I'll look for it later and give you the exact name.  It's going really well actually, I'm on square 20.  The book is divided into sections using similar methods for the squares in each section, and usually the most you have to learn is one new stitch, so it's a very easy way to learn.  I'm doing these slip stitch squares now, and it's just amazing.  You get these super cool designs, and it goes quite fast and easy.  The last section was harder for me for some reason.  Let me know when you get the book.  I do recommend getting a nice yarn and not a cheap one, because you're spending a LOT of time on it, so you might as well have nice wool to work with!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PaisleyMoose
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008 08:24:00 PM »

I was thinking of caron simply soft...mostly because of the colors and so I won't be afraid to wash it. But now that you've made the point of time I would rather have something high quality. Is your wool like a superwash? I don't want to accidently felt mine if I wash it in the wacky school washers and dryers. LOL.
I'm excited to get the book. I already do a lot of knitting but I skipped over the basics of learning cool stitch patterns so I'm eager to see what neat things the book has! I'll let you know as soon as it gets here. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sexy Swimsuits For Women of Any Age
5 Stylish Gift Ideas for Her
5 Fresh Ways to Wear Sequins For the Holidays!
The Checklist: 3 Wardrobe Investments
Get the Look: Casual Weekend Outfit
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...