A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,110
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Going to start classes in a few weeks!  (Read 1124 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

purplewitchhazel
Why is there cat fur up my nose?

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2008 04:30:54 PM »

Ok so i absolutely LOVE pottery, getting myself dirty and creative, but i haven't actually done any real pottery since high school about 9 years ago, but myself and my teacher both knew i had an natural aptitude for it. I just haven't found the outlet, and i don't have a kiln of my own, otherwise i could do everything from here. Even though i do painting and felting and whatnot, i've always felt working with clay was what i was best at, because you don't need the steadiest hand, you can fix mistakes in seconds, and it's a relaxed environment.

Well, we've been living in this house for 5 months now and i've finally gotten off my derriere and found a local community arts centre. I'm going to enrol in an 8 week (one day a week) course for pottery & sculpture!! I' so excited Grin The great thing about the description is that the classes are for ANY level, so i don't have to worry about feeling like i'm in school, and i can be left to my own devices once i polish up on my building and throwing skills again. And i can finally get stuff fired YAY!!

Anyway, the point of this thread is, my main ideas are a medieval style pitcher/jug which i might just decal with a fleur de lis to go with that memo board i just made, and a goblet or two - I absolutely love these ones - http://www.hearthstone.co.uk/acatalog/sprig-Goblet-large-dragon-small.jpg http://www.simplyfinewines.com/images/goblets_new.jpg

I also really want to sculpt a dragon plaque (i've you've noticed from my other posts, i want a medieval style bedroom). So, has anyone made water bearing items out of terracotta, do they have to be glazed from top to bottom? I wanted a more earthy look, is it too pourous to leave unglazed? If so i can stick to the white clay and just improvise.

Ideas anyone?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarbeth
no such thing as too many projects!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008 05:21:07 PM »

Oh, those goblets look like fun! You could always leave the outside of a goblet unglazed, I suppose. Just glaze the inside and the outside rim. Or, there are matte glazes that you could use instead, that would be more "earthy" than the glossy ones.

I like the relaxed atmosphere with ceramics too. It totally fits my working style. Especially that I can leave my glaze-riddled brushes to soak and wash out later! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beth
crafty momma to Lilu and Toby
Martin Handmade Tile
StoryBook

I play in the mud EVERY day!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008 05:55:18 PM »

@purplewitchhazel

WOW, isn't it great to finally realize a dream?

We moved into ceramics when we retired from the computer fields back in 2000, and completely changed our lifestyles.  It was the best thing that ever happened to us.  Went from a 6 figure income to something a little more manageable... Wink

We now have some goats, an ewe, chickens in the yard, cats we can't get rid of, and three dogs. 

Two small barns behind the house hold our ceramics studio and mold making shop, and we work at our own pace, making what WE want.  When/if our pieces sell, we're happy.  Pays the mortgage and the light bill, and we live a much more serene life.  We've never posted "hours" on our website, because you can never tell when we'll get out of bed, OR go to sleep for that matter.  Our life is our own.

Enjoy your classes!  I hope they lead to your dream....

Kevin & Michelle
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hand Crafted Heirloom Quality Ceramics
StoryBook Ceramics

MudPuppy Molds and Bisque Shop
purplewitchhazel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008 08:11:36 PM »

So i went and enrolled this morning and had a look around. The community arts centre is on the heritage list and the buildings are tudor style. It's so beautiful!

Of course all that went out the window when i had to hop back on the train, buy a 10kg slab of clay and lug it back home on the train and bus  Roll Eyes i suggest a CAR for these sorts of things! *falls over*

I just managed to get in, enrollments only started 2 weeks ago for 3 different pottery classes, and there were only 3 spots left when i called yesterday!

So excited!!

I even said before even starting this class, that i want to enrole next year as well!  Grin

In 10 weeks time i will have completed it and hopefully post some photos up Cheesy

Now i'm going to go find some inspiration and do some sketches in the hopes that i will make at least ONE beautiful piece in class

Did i mention i'm excited???!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarbeth
no such thing as too many projects!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008 09:09:43 PM »

Oh, Man! I can't imagine hauling a block of clay home on the bus!  Shocked I have a hard enough time moving it out of the back of my van into the garage. lol You poor thing!

Have fun in your class!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beth
crafty momma to Lilu and Toby
Martin Handmade Tile
purplewitchhazel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008 06:37:05 PM »

Well, it started 3 days ago. The tutor is really nice, and said because i use public transport that she will store the clay for me so i don't have to lug it to and from home each week. She was going to help me on the wheel, but i had to wait around while she was chatting to the rest of the class about their gallery. So i decided to mess about and ended up making a little sculpture. No pics yet, but i'll describe it.

He's about 10cm high. Rounded head and body. No facial features. Flat rounded feet. Long sausagey arms and no defined digits. One arm is around the front with a hand resting on his heart, which is sticking out from his body. There is an upside down heart shaped hole in his head, with little stitch marks along the outside, and an umbilical cord going from the hole, around his body to his heart.

Gotta love spur of the moment weirdness. I'm going to bisque fire him, and maybe just hand paint him somewhere down the track.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...